Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seax vendor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Edward Gibson

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Seax vendor         Reply with quote

I came across this site earlier today. The goods look desperately pricey. Is this stuff of any real merit (bone handles)? One for the expert I am not, so on the off-chance someone recognizes the merchandise I'd appreciate a little advice.

http://www.englandandenglishhistory.com/Engli...fault.aspx
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like it's been made by Paul Binns. You can cross-reference the spear-picture on the site with Pauls own pictures on http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/ . The seax(especially the scabbard) looks like his work too.

Johan Schubert Moen
Edward Gibson

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan S. Moen wrote:
It looks like it's been made by Paul Binns. You can cross-reference the spear-picture on the site with Pauls own pictures on http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/ . The seax(especially the scabbard) looks like his work too.

Johan Schubert Moen

Thanks Johan. Not sure about the seax. These look closer to the continetal models I've seen than the English. Also he links to, and seems to have more interest in, Vikings than his own people (typical!). Surely he'd link to a site that was providing him with business? Anyway I've bookmarked the site (just in case) and asked the vendor to identify his supplier, though of course he's under no obligation to tell me. Thanks again Johan. I appreciate your help.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seax vendor         Reply with quote

Edward Gibson wrote:
I came across this site earlier today. The goods look desperately pricey. Is this stuff of any real merit (bone handles)? One for the expert I am not, so on the off-chance someone recognizes the merchandise I'd appreciate a little advice.

http://www.englandandenglishhistory.com/Engli...fault.aspx

If you want a sax that looks anything like an original sax, you can easily skip on anything that has an antler hilt (similarly as if a sword has a skull in the hilt, you can be pretty safe to assume it's not a historical reproduction Wink ). These are all big knives that are being copied from one another without anyone ever having looked at what a real sax looks like. If you just like it as a big knife, then it's up to you though.
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Gibson wrote:

Thanks Johan. Not sure about the seax. These look closer to the continetal models I've seen than the English. Also he links to, and seems to have more interest in, Vikings than his own people (typical!). Surely he'd link to a site that was providing him with business? Anyway I've bookmarked the site (just in case) and asked the vendor to identify his supplier, though of course he's under no obligation to tell me. Thanks again Johan. I appreciate your help.

The sheath reminds me of his work because I used to own one he made that was nearly identical. I still have the seax that went with it, which is also similar to the one on the website you linked to. Unfortunately he does not have a very extensive gallery on his webpage, so a lot of the pieces he has made are not there(mine was a custom comission).

Not sure why he hasn't linked to the vendor, but it is a bit odd.

Johan Schubert Moen
Edward Gibson

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a Seax. These look impressive but may be just large knives as you say (the claim that they can fell trees probably does wonders for sales). I'll wait to find out who the supplier is and post back.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Seax vendor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic