Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about this yataghan. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean D.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Question about this yataghan.         Reply with quote

I was talking to some friends about a yataghan I saw and we we curious as to its authenticity. I know there probably isn't a way to know for sure, but I have some pictures and was curious if anyone could offer opinions. Thanks.

Attachment: 76.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 53.56 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 59.15 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 141.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 124.2 KB
[ Download ]
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I'm no expert. I just like to play with sharp sticks. Happy

A lot depends on what you mean by "authentic"...

It definitely looks hand-made. The blade has too much texture for modern steel, I think, and the decorative details are far too fine and crisp for the kind of cheap souvenier tourists bring from Asia by the shipload. The weathering seems consistent (but not strictly uniform) throughout, so it's either a genuinely old piece, or somebody did a really good job ageing it artificially. The edge doesn't seem to show any appreciable dents or nicks, so either it hasn't been used much, or has been carefully maintained; it's possible it was made as a keepsake or fashion accouterment rather than a serious tool or weapon.

Some context would help and judging from photos is always difficult, but if I had to guess, I'd tentatively suggest 19th or early 20th Century Balkan or thereabouts.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean,
This Yataghan would seem entirely authentic to me. The Islamic date 1199 that appears in your first picture would equate to 1785 in the Christian calendar making this a nice older piece. It is really nice to have the scabbard as well as a lot of times this is missing. I think this is from the Balkan area and the script on the blade old Turkish, the script should probably tell you who made the sword and for whom. Nice sword.
Regards,
Norman.
Dmitry Z~G

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
[b]
Some context would help and judging from photos is always difficult, but if I had to guess, I'd tentatively suggest 19th or early 20th Century Balkan or thereabouts.

That is a span of over 100 years. With all due respect, it's like dating a Rembrandt painting to 17th or early 18th centuries. I would be very curious to see pictorial references to the early 20th century Balkan yataghans.
Thank you!
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, sorry - I meant to type "late 19th to early 20th Century". Little more than a guess, really.

The Oriental Arms site has a fair few Balkanese yataghan. The hilt design on this one seems fairly typical of the regional style. If it really is as old as 1785, I must say it seems very well preserved, a nice find indeed.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about this yataghan.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic