Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Waiting for my sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Author Message
Anders Backlund




Location: Sweden
Joined: 24 Oct 2007

Posts: 629

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Waiting for my sword.         Reply with quote

It's driving me crazy, to be quite honest.

It's now been three weeks since I ordered my Squire sword from Darksword Armory, and every morning I wake up hoping it will have arrived, only to walk from the mailbox a swordless man and resolve to eat my breakfast seasoned with crushed hope and drink my coffy brewed from bitter disappointment.

Of course, I realize these things do take time. DA is on the other side of the Atlantic, after all. Still, I have to wonder, what is the norm for this kind of thing? Will I have to wait for another week or might it actually show up tomorrow? I wish I knew.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
View user's profile Send private message
Morgan Butler




PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know what thats like. I am waiting for a French Officers cut and thrust sword right now. Did you ask Darksword for a tracking number?
inkothemgard!
View user's profile Send private message
Anders Backlund




Location: Sweden
Joined: 24 Oct 2007

Posts: 629

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Morgan Butler wrote:
I know what thats like. I am waiting for a French Officers cut and thrust sword right now. Did you ask Darksword for a tracking number?


As a matter of fact, I didn't. I'm new to the whole business of orderings stuff from foreign countries and, to tell the truth, I didn't even know there was a such a thing as a tracking number until very recently. I might get in touch with them about that if I have to wait much longer, though.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
View user's profile Send private message
Christopher VaughnStrever




Location: San Antonio, TX
Joined: 13 Jun 2008
Reading list: 1 book

Posts: 382

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Take into consideration; customs. That takes time as items have to be cleared through customs to leave the country. So that is a likely source of the delay.
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,197

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
Morgan Butler wrote:
I know what thats like. I am waiting for a French Officers cut and thrust sword right now. Did you ask Darksword for a tracking number?


As a matter of fact, I didn't. I'm new to the whole business of orderings stuff from foreign countries and, to tell the truth, I didn't even know there was a such a thing as a tracking number until very recently. I might get in touch with them about that if I have to wait much longer, though.


Well, depending on the shipping method/shipper a tracking number should give you an idea if you are wasting your time waiting for the package on any specific day: If the tracking says that it's still miles away or hasn't cleared customs yet, you can forget about it for that day and sort of relax. Wink Big Grin

The tracking can be frustrating when the package seems almost ready for delivery but stuck somewhere !

Usually, when the tracking says " OUT FOR DELIVERY " you get it that day, unless it's the last item at the back of the truck and only gets delivered the next day. Sad

So, get in touch with them and get that number if they shipped with some form of tracking and kept the number in their files: No harm in asking, at worse there is no tracking.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Anders Backlund




Location: Sweden
Joined: 24 Oct 2007

Posts: 629

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
Take into consideration; customs. That takes time as items have to be cleared through customs to leave the country. So that is a likely source of the delay.


Yeah, I did suspect they might be to blame as well.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Anders Backlund wrote:
Morgan Butler wrote:
I know what thats like. I am waiting for a French Officers cut and thrust sword right now. Did you ask Darksword for a tracking number?


As a matter of fact, I didn't. I'm new to the whole business of orderings stuff from foreign countries and, to tell the truth, I didn't even know there was a such a thing as a tracking number until very recently. I might get in touch with them about that if I have to wait much longer, though.


Well, depending on the shipping method/shipper a tracking number should give you an idea if you are wasting your time waiting for the package on any specific day: If the tracking says that it's still miles away or hasn't cleared customs yet, you can forget about it for that day and sort of relax. Wink Big Grin

The tracking can be frustrating when the package seems almost ready for delivery but stuck somewhere !

Usually, when the tracking says " OUT FOR DELIVERY " you get it that day, unless it's the last item at the back of the truck and only gets delivered the next day. Sad

So, get in touch with them and get that number if they shipped with some form of tracking and kept the number in their files: No harm in asking, at worse there is no tracking.


Good points.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
View user's profile Send private message
Jonathan Eells





Joined: 09 Dec 2007

Posts: 79

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Learning to Wait is Healthy         Reply with quote

This is a slow business. A sword is the ultimate anachronism, after all, and as such mustn't be judged by the FedEx standards of our modern age. For instance, I wait MONTHS between ordering and receiving an Albion sword. I'm currently in line for my Knecht. How long will it take? Dunno. Don't care. I'm about to move to Maine, so I'll tell Mike at Albion what my new shipping address is when I leave California, and sooner or later my Knecht will arrive. No worries. And when Jacob Powning is making something, is there really any amount of time that is too long to wait? I've even got something that may arrive someday from J. Arthur Loose. Is his work worth the wait? Absolutely. I have his Irmin Gladius and there's not a day that I don't appreciate its craftmanship.

Waiting is good. Take up sailing while you're waiting, and it will reinforce your appreciation of good things that take a long time.
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,197

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Learning to Wait is Healthy         Reply with quote

Jonathan Eells wrote:
This is a slow business. A sword is the ultimate anachronism, after all, and as such mustn't be judged by the FedEx standards of our modern age. For instance, I wait MONTHS between ordering and receiving an Albion sword.


Well, yes waiting for it to be made can be long or longer than expected for good ( Honest ) or bad reasons ( Excuses ), but when the package has been " shipped " it's a complete different kind of waiting. Wink Cool

I'm very patient about waiting for it to be finished, much less so just waiting ........... Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Anders Backlund




Location: Sweden
Joined: 24 Oct 2007

Posts: 629

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Learning to Wait is Healthy         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Jonathan Eells wrote:
This is a slow business. A sword is the ultimate anachronism, after all, and as such mustn't be judged by the FedEx standards of our modern age. For instance, I wait MONTHS between ordering and receiving an Albion sword.


Well, yes waiting for it to be made can be long or longer than expected for good ( Honest ) or bad reasons ( Excuses ), but when the package has been " shipped " it's a complete different kind of waiting. Wink Cool

I'm very patient about waiting for it to be finished, much less so just waiting ........... Wink Laughing Out Loud


Precisely. I had to wait two months for them to actually make the new batch since it was out of stock by the time I contacted them, so I was already anxious when I was told it would be shipped out.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Fults




Location: Midwest
Joined: 02 Sep 2003

Posts: 3,492

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jun, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So little of this stuff tends to be in stock that waiting seems to become the game. Cool
"Our life is what our thoughts make it"
-Marcus Aurelius

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
-John F. Kennedy
View user's profile Send private message
Simon G.




Location: Lyons, France
Joined: 02 Jun 2008

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 238

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sometimes you have good surprises too. I ordered a Baron from Albion Europe at the beginning of the month and it was supposed to take up to four months to arrive. It did so yesterday ! I do not know how they managed this as the sword was supposed to be out of stock. I strongly suspect a pact with the Devil. Razz

So, I hope you will soon have that kind of good surprise... I order lots of things through the internet, so I know how frustrating waiting can be ! Keep your morale up. When it finally will arrive, « in god's good time » as old Winston Churchill would have said, it will be that much more pleasant !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jean Thibodeau




Location: Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Likes: 50 pages
Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5
Posts: 8,197

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is good news and let us know your own impressions of the Baron even if you think that it's already a well documented piece it's always interesting to hear the first reactions of someone handling a specific sword for the first time.

Is this your first high end sword that you have owned or handled ? Asking because it's always a " surprise " if it the first sword with good handling characteristics that you have held.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Jonathan Eells





Joined: 09 Dec 2007

Posts: 79

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: But people, they're all kibbutzers         Reply with quote

I won't name names on this one, but I've had particular smiths tell me "It's getting done this week!" and then, "This week for sure!" and then "This is the do-it-or-die week, I swear!" And the last time I heard this was somewhere around Yule. Naturally, I assume this particular smith is dead by now (because he said so, right? "I'll do it OR DIE"?), but it's still not too long to wait. Sure, I could have taught myself and made the thing on my own by now, but sometimes the hideous, protracted, seemingly capricious wait (even if you've been told "it shipped") might actually be a ploy by the Gods to teach you (and me, since it's been more than two years now on this one thing...) something. Who the Hel knows what. I ain't no counselor.
View user's profile Send private message
Simon G.




Location: Lyons, France
Joined: 02 Jun 2008

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 238

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
That is good news and let us know your own impressions of the Baron even if you think that it's already a well documented piece it's always interesting to hear the first reactions of someone handling a specific sword for the first time.

Is this your first high end sword that you have owned or handled ? Asking because it's always a " surprise " if it the first sword with good handling characteristics that you have held.

In fact it's my first sword, period. I decided to go with what's apparently the best company on the market from the start... I'll be sure to let you know about how it feels when I get my hands on it... In fact it's quite ironic : I had it sent to my parents' home, where I will be during the summer vacations, since I did not think it would arrive so soon (the Albion Europe guy gave me an ETA of about 4 months ! Damn him for not respecting the delays ! HE IS TOO DARN EARLY ! Wink ) so I'll only handle it in about two weeks. Can't wait to...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Stuart Mackey




Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 12

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Waiting for my sword.         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
It's driving me crazy, to be quite honest.

It's now been three weeks since I ordered my Squire sword from Darksword Armory, and every morning I wake up hoping it will have arrived, only to walk from the mailbox a swordless man and resolve to eat my breakfast seasoned with crushed hope and drink my coffy brewed from bitter disappointment.

Of course, I realize these things do take time. DA is on the other side of the Atlantic, after all. Still, I have to wonder, what is the norm for this kind of thing? Will I have to wait for another week or might it actually show up tomorrow? I wish I knew.


I waited three odd months for my A&A English Longsword, and it was all part of the pleasure of owning it. I knew that they were doing the job properly and that takes time,( one also has to remember what the smiths back log is like), combined with the fun of researching exactly what I wanted meant that I was delighted when it arrived, it was exactly what I wanted and more.
Patience is is part of the fun.
View user's profile Send private message
Anders Backlund




Location: Sweden
Joined: 24 Oct 2007

Posts: 629

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Waiting for my sword.         Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:
Sometimes you have good surprises too. I ordered a Baron from Albion Europe at the beginning of the month and it was supposed to take up to four months to arrive. It did so yesterday ! I do not know how they managed this as the sword was supposed to be out of stock. I strongly suspect a pact with the Devil. Razz


Spooky! Surprised

Quote:
So, I hope you will soon have that kind of good surprise... I order lots of things through the internet, so I know how frustrating waiting can be ! Keep your morale up. When it finally will arrive, « in god's good time » as old Winston Churchill would have said, it will be that much more pleasant !


True, but considering that God is supposedly older then the universe... Confused

Jonathan Eells wrote:
I won't name names on this one, but I've had particular smiths tell me "It's getting done this week!" and then, "This week for sure!" and then "This is the do-it-or-die week, I swear!" And the last time I heard this was somewhere around Yule. Naturally, I assume this particular smith is dead by now (because he said so, right? "I'll do it OR DIE"?), but it's still not too long to wait.


This sounds a lot like me when I'm supposed to keep a deadline. ^^;

Quote:
Sure, I could have taught myself and made the thing on my own by now,


You know, if I had the necessary equipment at hand I probably would make them myself. *sigh*

Simon G. wrote:

In fact it's my first sword, period. I decided to go with what's apparently the best company on the market from the start...


I'd have loved to order an Albion Prince for my first sword, but unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.

(Well, technically I do have that kind of money, but I'm likely to be needing them for stuff like studies and rent and food.)

Stuart Mackey wrote:

I waited three odd months for my A&A English Longsword, and it was all part of the pleasure of owning it. I knew that they were doing the job properly and that takes time,( one also has to remember what the smiths back log is like), combined with the fun of researching exactly what I wanted meant that I was delighted when it arrived, it was exactly what I wanted and more.


I always like the A&A English.

So, was that three months total including manufacture, or three months just for shipping? oO;

Quote:
Patience is is part of the fun.


Well, I can't really agree with that. Actually getting the sword is the fun part, no?

With risk of being presumtious, I'm guessing no one here ever went: "Hurray! It hasn't arrived today either!" Razz

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
View user's profile Send private message
Chris Artman




Location: USA
Joined: 12 Apr 2008

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 441

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
ordered a Baron from Albion Europe at the beginning of the month and it was supposed to take up to four months to arrive. It did so yesterday ! I do not know how they managed this as the sword was supposed to be out of stock.


Funny, I returned one 4 weeks ago after cutting with it for three weeks Wink
View user's profile Send private message
Luka Borscak




Location: Croatia
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Likes: 7 pages

Posts: 2,239

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why have you returned it if you don't mind asking?
View user's profile Send private message
Chris Artman




Location: USA
Joined: 12 Apr 2008

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 441

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe, I was just kidding, hence the wink Wink I was insinuating that the reason he might have gotten one early due to a used return, just kidding of course.

In fact, the first Albion sword I received was this past Wednesdaym the Brescia Spadona... I had only ordered it about 10 days ago... Apparently the person who ordered it changed his mind or didn't have the cash, so I was next in line... Probably the same case with the Baron...
View user's profile Send private message
Stephan Johansson




Location: Borås Sweden
Joined: 28 Dec 2007

Posts: 46

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Simon!
Did your Baron have a black grip?

Regards
Stephan
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Waiting for my sword.
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum