Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > National Military Museum from Bucharest Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: National Military Museum from Bucharest         Reply with quote

Hello everybody, i am member of this forum for about 2-3 years, all this time i wasn't an active participator to the discussions on the forum, but i had the chance to gather a lot of weapons related information, and i am grateful to you all for it.
Having a ''debt to repay'' i have decided to visit the National Military Museum in Bucharest, were i have been the past years but not heaving a good camera i took no pictures, this time the ''tide has changed'' and i have spent 2-3 hours there at the museum, where i took about 500-600 pictures (the friend who loaned me the camera went mad after 2 hours so i had to move as fast as i could), but i managed to photograph almost all of the pieces that were on display.
You can find some of them here :
http://picasaweb.google.com/franga.dragos/MuzeulMilitarNational
Those are not all the pictures i took that day but next week i will upload the rest (man it will take forever Worried )
There is one last thing i wish to ask of you : please be patient with my lack of talent at tacking pictures, it was the second time i have ever used that camera.
Enjoy the pictures, for additional informations or pictures at a higher resolution I ''am all yours''.
Have a nice day.

Qapla' !

Last edited by Franga Dragos on Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Franga,

What a great resource! Many thanks for your work. The photographs look good to me - in focus and well-lit, which for those reasons alone is better than a lot of amateur museum display photos.

Cheers,
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the great photos, Franga! I hope you don't mind if I darken one of them to emphasize one weapon and ask you about it.

Do you know anything about the highlighted weapon below? I would guess late 15th century, but I'd love to know what the caption says.

Attachment: 69.71 KB
glaive.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is written : '' spear head and chain mail form the first half of the 15th century''
Qapla' !
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Franga Dragos wrote:
It is written : '' spear head and chain mail form the first half of the 15th century''

Thanks! It looks to me like a small glaive with a concave back, somewhere between a vouge francais and couteau de breche, stylistically. Maybe 1450-1500. There's another one in this photo:

Attachment: 69.49 KB
IMG_0085.JPG

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually it is written : ''dacian battle knives (sica) I-II centuries'', but you were close Sean Razz , just kidding Happy
I thought the same thing about them before I red what was written about them.
I am amassed how you knew about the spear head that is from the 15th century Surprised , Idea you can read romanian right ? Big Grin

Qapla' !
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Franga Dragos wrote:
Actually it is written : ''dacian battle knives (sica) I-II centuries'', but you were close Sean Razz , just kidding Happy
I thought the same thing about them before I red what was written about them.
I am amassed how you knew about the spear head that is from the 15th century Surprised , Idea you can read romanian right ? Big Grin

That second photo shows a 1st or 2nd c. socketed knife? It looks exactly like a 15th c. glaive. It's a very simple construction, so I guess it's not too surprising that it would appear earlier either as a weapon or a tool.

As for the first photo--I can't read Romanian, unfortunately, but the form of the weapon looks right for late 15th c. (now I know there might be ancient examples, too! ) Also, the form of the mantle and spearhead displayed with it also look 15th c.

-Sean

Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sica style sword is typical of that period in time and place, in the next picture you can see a bigger version of that type of sword-a falx from the I-st century.
These pictures are just a small part of those i took the other day, there will be a lot of work to post the others but the good part is arriving.

Qapla' !
Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, in the second picture those are ''battle knives'' socketed and tanged, I-II centuries.
Qapla' !
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Excellent         Reply with quote

Franga

Thank you for this excellent work. It is very very interesting and many questions come to mind. I look forward to the remaining pictures and many good discussions about them.

Best
Craig
Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jun, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally i have uploaded the rest of the pictures, hope you enjoy Happy
http://picasaweb.google.ro/franga.dragos/Muze...arteaADoua

Qapla' !
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eureka! We've hit the motherlode! Thank you for taking the time to post these picture Franga! They are excellent!
Franga Dragos

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jun, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am glad you enjoy them, unfortunately the National Museum of History has been close for about 2-3 years for renovation i hope they reopen it soon because there are also many things to see there, if i recall the last time i was there it took me about 3 hours to visit it all (and i was really fast Big Grin )
I am disappointed that i did not see any real armour pieces, except for the tanks in the courtyard Happy

Qapla' !

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > National Military Museum from Bucharest
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic