Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > AT304S Lonsword Belt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: AT304S Lonsword Belt         Reply with quote

I have made up my mind and I will wait on the new AT304S The "Atrim" Practical Long Sword Sharp for my birthday which has passed on the 10th. My wife said I could spend up to $1000 for it, but in my mind, this is what I want.
Now, I have all the leather and tools to make a fine fitting belt/suspention for it and I'd like to get opinions on which type would go well with this and information on how to make it.
I will decorate and do all the work myself but I have not made a longsword belt before. Just mostly arming / broadsword scabbards and belts.
Can anyone give me a good idea on what would look nice for this piece?
I am looking at wearing it with a 1300-1350 kit non armoured. Any pictures of your kits of this time line will help beaucoup .
A 2 point system will do nicely.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been using this from Christian Fletcher (top left for the Albion Baron) three point system for all my longswords, and like it very well. It can also be done with just one strap from the rear, eliminating the middle strap. However, this may be a little later than what you're looking for, maybe 15th century? But still something to ponder for ideas.
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
I've been using this from Christian Fletcher (top left for the Albion Baron) three point system for all my longswords, and like it very well. It can also be done with just one strap from the rear, eliminating the middle strap. However, this may be a little later than what you're looking for, maybe 15th century? But still something to ponder for ideas.

Good stuff. Is that system historically accurate for the baron?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:

Good stuff. Is that system historically accurate for the baron?

I don't think so. I can't recall seeing anything like that on swords of the Baron's era.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

Am I correct in thinking that's a late 15th or 16th century suspension? Or could it be from the first half of the 15th?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
Chad,

Am I correct in thinking that's a late 15th or 16th century suspension? Or could it be from the first half of the 15th?

I'm going to say mid to late 15th century, but that's partially a guess.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
Chad,

It looks vaguely 15th century in inspiration but the contstruction of it doesn't look at all medieval to me. I've been staring at quite a few of these lately because I'll be building a 15th century scabbard once my new longsword arrives.

All the suspsensions I've seen have been two-point suspensions, I haven't seen any with three attachments to the scabbard (if there are any depictions of them from this period I've love to see them though).

That example also uses some fairly obviously modern techniques, the chromed rivet and modern buckle for a start, but the way the leather is attached to the scabbard doesn't look like the examples you see in art. The impressed lines on the belt also tweak my modern leatherwork decoration sense. Medieval decoration is quite different.

I think Christian does some very nice work and everything I've seen of his has been executed with skill I really admire, but the examples of his work I've seen pictures of that look really "right" in a medieval sense are very rare.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I completely agree with comments about the rivets and furniture. My primary curiosity is about the way the leather wraps around the scabbard and the way the front suspension strap is fastened to the tail of the belt when worn. Anyone aware of documentable artwork depicting such a system with a longsword? Especially artwork that's datable to the 15th century?
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
I completely agree with comments about the rivets and furniture. My primary curiosity is about the way the leather wraps around the scabbard and the way the front suspension strap is fastened to the tail of the belt when worn. Anyone aware of documentable artwork depicting such a system with a longsword? Especially artwork that's datable to the 15th century?

The leather wrapping around the scabbard is correct in idea, but not (as far as I'm aware) in the specific implementation Christian has done on that scabbard.

The front suspension strap does indeed seem to buckle onto the tail of the belt, yes. You put the belt on, then buckle and hook the scabbard onto the belt.

Check out these topics which detail the construction of the suspension in a period manner and contain links and pictures of extant art.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6361
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5891

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Mike Harris wrote:

The leather wrapping around the scabbard is correct in idea, but not (as far as I'm aware) in the specific implementation Christian has done on that scabbard.

The front suspension strap does indeed seem to buckle onto the tail of the belt, yes. You put the belt on, then buckle and hook the scabbard onto the belt.

Check out these topics which detail the construction of the suspension in a period manner and contain links and pictures of extant art.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6361
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=5891

Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > AT304S Lonsword Belt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic