Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need advice on hand and a half swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Brent Thacker

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Need advice on hand and a half swords         Reply with quote

II'm sorry for asking such an odd question, but I have been looking these past few weeks for a sword. I want a battleready sword that is good for thrusting and cutting. I looked at windlass, but i hear they aren't the best for thrusting. Note, I won't use it, i'd just like to buy something tough. I'd like to spend less than $225 if possible. I want something decent with one hand, but still good enough for two. I have about 4 I have been looking at that seem good like something interesting to me. Here they are.

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2169
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/DSA-Norman.html
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/albrecht.html
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/strongblade.html

By the way, this is all for a Ren faire I'm attending with my fiance and she has me dressed as this guy, I have a bow and most of the clothing(need to fix my shirt like that, though. I made it all on my own:))

http://www.realmcollections.com/images/pl/_Bo...1_6935.jpg

Thanks much and I hope I'm welcome in this community:)

Only in death does duty end.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brent,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy The Marketplace forum is only for buying and selling used items. I'm moving it to the appropriate forum.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With that outfit, I'd go with an arming sword such as a type XIV and nice big dagger.
There is nothing wrong with Windlass as far as this one goes for your use.

You might look at the Coustelle dagger also.
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5010...+Sword.htm
Even though it's listed as a short sword, here in Texas it's just considered a good sizes eating dagger.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Joshua C.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the opinion of Paul Southren, the owner of Sword Buyers Guide, Darksword Armoury makes the toughest medieval swords. Windlass' longer swords tend to be a bit too flexible, and the Strongblade Warspike was only given a 3/5 for structural integrity. But, like you said, you aren't planning on using it.
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: swords         Reply with quote

good morro
my lord -baltimore knife and steel-and heimrick armoury -are both 4/5 in all ,weight, handling,strength,edge control,and under 400$ Cool

tim seaton
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua C. wrote:
In the opinion of Paul Southren, the owner of Sword Buyers Guide, Darksword Armoury makes the toughest medieval swords. Windlass' longer swords tend to be a bit too flexible, and the Strongblade Warspike was only given a 3/5 for structural integrity. But, like you said, you aren't planning on using it.

If tough is the sole criterion, Darksword may be a good option. But a thick unsharpened edge and the accompanying extra weight are undesirable for me.

I prefer a good balance of looks, durability, and handling. For me, Darksword doesn't measure up.

Also, as clarification, SBG focuses on sub-$300 swords. So Darksword, in their opinion, is the toughest in that price range.

Happy

ChadA

Chase S-R

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Museum Replicas Limited does not make a good sword for cutting or using, however if you are merely going to wear it or hang it then it is fine! Happy they tend to hold up as long as you dont use them. Laughing Out Loud
one thing I think would make your costume look a bit better would be to exchange the twine for leather boot lace, which you can buy at any shoe store in a variety of colors Happy
a sword you might like is the Towton by Museum Replicas(aka. MRL)
or for a bit more money you could get a squire line longsword by Albion Swords which does make a very sturdy and durable sword for cutting or using but like I said they cost a bit more Big Grin

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Joshua C.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Also, as clarification, SBG focuses on sub-$300 swords. So Darksword, in their opinion, is the toughest in that price range.

That is the price range that he's looking for a sword in.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua C. wrote:
That is the price range that he's looking for a sword in.

Yes, but your statement did not reference that and read like a blanket statement that they were the toughest, with no qualifications about price. I felt a clarification would be helpful.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, the Darksword Norman is not going to be good for two hands. It's an arming (single-handed) sword.
Happy

ChadA

Joshua C.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What are tougher brands? I thought they would be the toughest, because they are made to be tougher than historical swords.
Joshua C.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://sbg-sword-store.sword-buyers-guide.com/darksword.html

Two, slightly more expensive, two handed swords by Darksword Armoury here.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua C. wrote:
What are tougher brands? I thought they would be the toughest, because they are made to be tougher than historical swords.

I don't know and haven't given it much thought. Durability is only one criteria I look for. I don't buy blunts, so a Darksword sword, tough as it may be, doesn't interest me personally.

I want historical swords, so I'm okay if the sword is *only* as durable as a historical sword and not moreso. Happy

In order to make a sword more durable thana historical sword, you generally have to compromise something somewhere else, whether it's historical accuracy or something else, like weight.

Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For your kit go with Gary's recommendation and know that you will be getting a good sword. I had one and its the best Windlass I've ever seen and handled by a fair margin.

Windlass is not great for cutting out of the box because they ship blunt unless you pay somebody to sharpen them (or do it yourself). In many cases Windlass is not so great on the thrust because their longer blades are a overly flexible. However, the blade Gary posted is a nice size single hander. Its not longer and it is a very robust sword. It handles well and will cut or thrust with a great level of competency, especially if sharpened. Find it cheap from a reputable vendor and you can't go wrong.

If you must have something bigger I'd recommend the Albrecht but I have not handled one.

Please, please please. Ask anybody who tells you to get anything whether or not they have actually handled the sword in question. Many people get very enthusiastic about sharing their opinion. Even when that opinion is based solely on what a guy in a forum said he heard from another guy whose mother's, cousin's, friend's, daughter's, husband knew a guy who had one.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 13 Jun, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brent Thacker

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I was looking at the Albrecht more... I don't know why, but I'm really wanting it so much.

But I do like that other one he posted.... it's really, hard to choose now between two really good looking ones.

I might get both eventually.

Also, where could I get a decent cutlass for my fiance's costume? She's a pirate wench. lol. But i'd like to surprise her with a decent sword to go along with her outfit.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua C. wrote:

Really? Tougher than historical swords? So they are are made to be tougher for a target market of overweight modern civilians (me) who might cut some foam, or some plastic, or maybe some wood, than the historical sword was when the target audience was composed of professionals (or at least semi-professionals) who were going to use the tool to kill each other? Really? Confused

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brent Thacker wrote:
Also, where could I get a decent cutlass for my fiance's costume? She's a pirate wench. lol. But i'd like to surprise her with a decent sword to go along with her outfit.

Unfortunately I can't help you with that. I've handled exactly one cutlass reproduction, a great looking but very heavy fantasy art piece that was out of the price neighborhood. I just don't have the relevant experience to give a worthwhile recommendation on the cutlass front. Blush

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 13 Jun, 2008 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brent Thacker

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that's fine. i'm still thinkin about which one i should get. it's a tough decision.

need to finish all the outfit too.

Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brent Thacker wrote:
... I have been looking these past few weeks for a sword. I want a battleready sword that is good for thrusting and cutting. I looked at windlass, but i hear they aren't the best for thrusting. Note, I won't use it, i'd just like to buy something tough. I'd like to spend less than $225 if possible.

Thanks much and I hope I'm welcome in this community:)

Brent Thacker wrote:
Also, where could I get a decent cutlass for my fiance's costume? She's a pirate wench, but I'd like to surprise her with a decent sword to go along with her outfit.

Hello Brent,

For anyone other than a professional medievil soldier or local sword aristocrat, MRL items will be plenty fine for what you and your special lady are looking for. You would most likely be pleasantly surprised at the decent quality offered for what you are paying. And, they can actually be used from time to time. Just don't expect the level of historical accuracy that a two to three thousand dollar investment will afford you with the most reputable sword makers. And yes, that is what it costs for true historical accuracy these days.

As a side note, people like Chad Arnow, Sean Flynt, Joe Fults, and Gary Chelette really have a good idea what they are talking about, I would highly recommend listening to their thoughts...

Have fun with whatever choice you end up going with. Big Grin
Joshua C.

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Joshua C. wrote:

Really? Tougher than historical swords? So they are are made to be tougher for a target market of overweight modern civilians (me) who might cut some foam, or some plastic, or maybe some wood, than the historical sword was when the target audience was composed of professionals (or at least semi-professionals) who were going to use the tool to kill each other? Really? Confused

Swords were mainly designed to cut human bodies. There were plenty of broken swords on the battle field. Darkswords are made for steel on steel contact.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need advice on hand and a half swords
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: