Best Man gift
I need some help.

I am getting married in 9 days. I purchased some wall-hanger swords for my groomsmen, and the Windlass Sticklestad Viking sword for my Best Man. I'm writing a personal letter for each of them, including a short bit of history about the swords that they are receiving.

I need some info on my Best Man's sword. Was this based on a surviving piece? Can it be traced to an exact time period? Was it influenced by a surviving relic? If so, Which one and can you post a link or as much info as possible? (pictures are also welcome.)

I really only have 8 days to get these letters done, so I could really use some help right now.

Pictures included here thanks to http://www.viking-shield.com/windlassswords.html :

Attachment: 16.76 KB
W1086.jpg
full-length shot

Attachment: 21.07 KB
W1086H.jpg
close-up of the hilt
:D i belive i can help you with time period. The Battle of Stiklestad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stiklestad
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom wrote

Quote:
i belive i can help you with time period. The Battle of Stiklestad

Thanks Patrick! I read up on the battle and think that I might have some ideas now.

To Everyone else:

Please help me out. I only have 7 days left to write something really amazing about the sword. I'm looking for some info on the following:

Was it based on an original?

Do the copper-filled filing marks mean anything?

Is the pommel significant in any way?

Was this sword supposedly King Olaf's?

Might there be a Viking Blessing I could add to the letter? (I don't want any "May you slay many men and bloody the fields of your enemies" type blessings. Something more like "May the sun forever be at your back, the road smooth beneath your feet...")
Here's the text from MRL's website:

Quote:
The Battle of Sticklestad was the final battle of St. Olaf. This was warfare in the old school, with two hosts meeting face-to-face and sword-to-sword. It was a brutal, bloody and deadly fight, and in the end, the mighty Olaf fell. Gaining a lot of fame for his exploits, he was eventually canonized as St. Olaf. This attractive Viking sword is copied from a specimen that was quite involved in that kind of viscious encounter. Made from high carbon steel by Windlass Steelcrafts®, the sword is a beautifully balanced and highly effective weapon. Capable of both cutting and thrusting, it is also a delight to the eye. Pommel and guard are tastefully decorated with copper. Leather covered wood grip. Complete with scabbard. Can be sharpened for additional fee.

Inlay of copper, silver, and gold wire was pretty common on Viking swords. Meanings to specific patterns have probably been lost over time in most cases.

I didn't see a sword like that one in a quick thumb-through of Peirce's Swords of The Viking Age.
Cad Arnow wrote:

Quote:
Inlay of copper, silver, and gold wire was pretty common on Viking swords. Meanings to specific patterns have probably been lost over time in most cases.

Thanks Chad!

Maybe I'll just settle for what I have in the way of historical connection to the sword.

Does anyone know of a Viking Blessing that I could add to the letter? (Again, nothing morbid, something personal and sentimental if possible. If none exist please let me know.)
Well, if you want my honest opinion, I think it's just another "fantasy" viking sword. I don't think the copper inlay has any meaning either, although I do see what looks like the top of three Tiwaz runes placed next to each other. The Tiwaz rune has been seen on Viking age sword hilts before, as it's a victory rune, but I hardly doubt that was the intention with this sword.

About the Viking "blessings", I think the Hávamál could prove quite useful to you. It's not exactly blessings, but rather a poem with guidelines on how to live your life, said by Odin himself. The poem has 164 stanzas, so there should be something to choose from. The most famous stanza from the Hávamal is probably number 76:

Quote:
Cattle die, kindred die,
Every man is mortal:
But the good name never dies
Of one who has done well

An English translation of the whole poem can be found here: http://vta.gamall-steinn.org/havamal.htm.
S. Christiansen Wrote:

Quote:
About the Viking "blessings", I think the Hávamál could prove quite useful to you.

Thanks! I don't really have time to read it right now, (I'm going to a Renn Faire today and mean to be there for the gate opening) but at a quick glance I really like how some of the stanzas sound. I'll have to read through it later!

Only 6 days left! If you have any additional information, suggestions, or comments regarding my questions above, the sword itself, or anything else relevant to this topic, please post it. I'm looking for as large a pool of knowledge for me to draw from as I can get.

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: