Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Joined the Albion Collector's Club: Help Picking Free Sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Joined the Albion Collector's Club: Help Picking Free Sword.         Reply with quote

Hi All,

I got some really good news today and passed a very important exam. To celebrate, I added the Brescia spadonia to my list of swords. It just so happens my next Albion sword is free, or thereabouts. Opinion's appreciated for picking the free sword from the following list is appreciated:

1) Munich Gothic

2) Markgraf with half-wire grip

3) The Viceroy

4) The Discerner ( I love Excaliber)

5) The Solingen

6) The Tritonia

(I already ordered: Kingmaker, Svante, Brescia Spadonia, Dane, Maximillian, and Valkyrje)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suggest making this a poll.

As per my favs on your list:

1) Markgraf with half-wire grip

2) Munich Gothic

3) The Viceroy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say the Munich Gothic. That sword, to me at least, it one of those that is a quintessential sword. One that if someone was to draw a 'knightly' sword, it would have one of the aspects of this sword somewhere in it. I think you could liken it to a classic sports car, one that has such a well known design that it has its image as a stereotype of that kind of car.
Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Jonathan Eells

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: What an easy choice         Reply with quote

Oh, Hel, you HAVE to - based on your collection to date - get The Discerner. That's a magnificent blade. It would be out of place in my collection, but I'd say it's a must have for yours.

I'm currently waiting for my free Knecht, which I think is the coolest thing since slicing bread. In fact, I'll use the Knecht to slice some bread.

Good luck choosing.

jwe
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great quandry to be in, eh? My vote goes to the Solingen. You've got really nifty two handers already
so I would say you have them nicely represented. Down turned quilloned and 3/4 fullered knightly swords
are at this point under represented in your collection! Given your choices I think you'll have a winner
regardless. And pick the Solingen.

Best,

Doug G.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would recommend the Solingen or the Munich Gothic. The Solingen because I think it's a unique piece the likes of which I haven't seen anywhere else in the reproduction world, and the Munich Gothic because I think it's simply beautiful and high performance (the beautiful even by Albion's standards!).

Regardless, I wish I had that kind of problem!

Max
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jun, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1) The Discerner
2) Munich Gothic
3) The Tritonia

1) Because its more likely to be discontinued than the others, and is a center piece to any collection. (I also loved Excalibur)
2) Because its the Munich Gothic, i mean, come on, nuff said. Big Grin But, really, it's without question one of the most elegant looking swords they have made IMHO.
3) Because I always liked the design and uniqueness. Another that could be sold out soon, but not so "must have" that I couldn't pass for now.

Though I'm a long way from being in such a position to have the agony of choice...

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, it is always so hard to make a decision, so I'll have to get them all at some point.

Out of curiousity, has anybody seen both versions of the Discerner? My understanding after talking to Mike is that the only difference was the fact that they used gold plating and real silver throughout the hilt. Did they actually look that different? Also, silver certainly oxidizes fairly quickly...

Ok, this is just too hard to make a decision, so I am likely going to get the discerner since, apparently it is a true historical sword and also a famous sword. How appealing is it to have both a historical sword and one of the most famous book/ movie swords of all time? I really like it... But I also very much like all the others on the list. Because my free sword value is about $1600 (the Svante really bumped up the average), I should get something that slightly exceeds that price, otherwise you lose the difference... so for that reason as well, I'll likely get the discerner as my free sword. The Munich Gothic would also fullfill this category... Well, maybe they have another incentive program so I can get them all!

I have to say I'm still eyeing up the Oakeshott and the Chevalier, I'm very curious to see the Chevalier before deciding between those two...

The Markgraf seems like it is going to be irresitable as well... All on the list do, so it is just a matter of which first I guess....
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used my $$ amount as a discount on my St. Maurice of Turin sword. I have been extremely impressed with the Museum Line swords (and it appears you have the same taste), so I would lean in that direction. I have a Tritonia as well, and it is an extremely well balanced "beast". I would expect the Solingen to be just as impressive, as well as the Discerner.

You've got a great collection going there! Someday, the Svante and the Brescia Spadona will be mine...

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jun, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would feel tortured deciding between the Discerner and a Munich. Both are great enough that you will want to display them on the wall, and probably end up with a jealous spouse.

I hate to spend that kind of money on something that I love too much to use (wanting primarily to preserve instead.) I dread the possibility of nicking my Munich, but feel obligated to use it to justify having paid for it what i did. Getting another one free would make me feel a lot better about just collecting and displaying it.

Just out of curiosity, can you apply your free credit towards one of the advanced reservation swords? A Tyrolean or Maximilian are things I would like to have for collecting purposes, but not pay for as a generic WMA tool.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jun, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a horrible decision to make....mmm now which free Albion should I choose.

I could happily argue a point for the Munich, Discerner, Tritonia or Solingen.

As your collection has a broad range I would suggest getting the Solingen. This is because you only have two single handers currently on order as opposed to four hand and a half/ two handers, so it would balance things out in this respect. Also the Solingen falls somewhere between the Kingmaker and Valkyrja so then you would have a better representation on the evolution of the single handed sword.

When enquiring some time ago Mike told me that either the Solingen or Knight were probably thier best, nimble single handed cutters, so yeah I would say the Solingen from your list.

Alternatively ou might want to wait until you have some of the swords in hand to work out which you prefer however, single handers or the larger swords.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
I am likely going to get the discerner since, apparently it is a true historical sword and also a famous sword. How appealing is it to have both a historical sword and one of the most famous book/ movie swords of all time?

If historical accuracy is very important, I'd urge you to do lots of research on this sword. An awful lot of its design provenance seems to rest on thinly sourced family legend that contradicts very well informed scholarship.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jun, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered the Discerner, but to be honest, I want all of the swords in that list and a couple more...

So the next post sometime later this year will likely be: Ordered my 13th sword, need help picking my final free (14th) sword...

I certainly hope Peter adds more to the museum level swords, that would be very much appreciated.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Joined the Albion Collector's Club: Help Picking Free Sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic