Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Way off weapons topic... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Way off weapons topic...         Reply with quote

This week I just got the DVD of "The Office - The Complete Second Series." To have this thread touch on weapons, I want you all to know that I watch this comedy to relax from a long week of making SWORDS. It helps me to feel fresh the next week so I can make more SWORDS.

I just finished watching the whole thing. What a laugh!!! I love British humour. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this series and if they have got the second series yet?

They are making an American version of this, and I hope beyond all hope that it will not suck out loud like the other attempts at adapting British humour to the American market. As an American, I am confused over Hollywood's desire to Americanize everything. I mean there is nothing wrong with American humour, but it is different than British humour. It seems to me that when you try to change it, something essential is lost. Oh well... maybe it will be different this time

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sat 24 Apr, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw the majority of the "The Office" episodes, and the cringe factor was as high as the portrayal of "ordinary people" was spot-on. Some of the stuff was hilarious (I love Gareth's talk about snipers and vets with PTSD), while other things were humorous in a very understated way (like you see people sitting at their desks, but very little work appears to be done). I think I must see it again.
My sword site
Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great stuff,
If you guys can track down,
Operation good guys,
You'll be all set,one of the better comedy series for all out laugh till you cry,
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
Great stuff,
If you guys can track down,
Operation good guys,
You'll be all set,one of the better comedy series for all out laugh till you cry,

I wonder if BBC America has that out on DVD...I'll have to check it out...thanks!

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Markus Haider

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love 'The Office', it seems to be taken right out of everyones office live. Gareth and Brent a so cringeworthy and depressing at the same time. Sadly the two Christmas specials are not availiable on DVD yet.
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course, no one can forget the classic Monty Python's Flying Circus Happy
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Cringeworthy indeed!         Reply with quote

Markus Haider wrote:
I love 'The Office', it seems to be taken right out of everyones office live. Gareth and Brent a so cringeworthy and depressing at the same time. Sadly the two Christmas specials are not availiable on DVD yet.

The second series caused some major cringing on my part. With the advent of Neil, I actually found myself feeling sorry for the Brentmeister...now don't get me wrong...he is still a walking nightmare. Also, his attempts to forge a new direction for himself in motivational speaking was really funny, but I found myself having a hard time watching him on stage. It was hilarous stuff, but it is hard to watch someone flop soooo badly.

I love this series, and I think it is one more "classic" in a long line of "classic" Bristish comedies. I'm convinced that in spite of Ricky Gervais' involvement the American version is going to SUCK!!! Already, I have heard that the American Tim and Dawn are not as good, and where can you find another Gareth?

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Another Gareth,         Reply with quote

The tall skinny guy from the film Road trip might do a good job,
There was a couple of rumours over here the actress that played Dawn may well be in theUS version,but the cak they print over here i woud'nt hold your breath,
Also there was mention of a US version of Coupling,very funny show,also by the BBC,also definately worth tracking down,
The majority of Operation good guys cast can be seen in,
Love,Honour and Obey,also starring Ray Winstone, Cool
The Sheik scene and the hands registered as lethal weapon scene are worth the cost of the film alone, Laughing Out Loud
Denise Van Outen too, Wink
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

"The Office" is an amazing comedy series. I can't think of many shows that have managed to make me laugh and feel nauseous (from epathetic humiliation) at the same time. The Christmas special was especially painful...

David
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Gareth,         Reply with quote

Lee O'Hagan wrote:
The tall skinny guy from the film Road trip might do a good job,
There was a couple of rumours over here the actress that played Dawn may well be in theUS version,but the cak they print over here i woud'nt hold your breath,
Also there was mention of a US version of Coupling,very funny show,also by the BBC,also definately worth tracking down,
The majority of Operation good guys cast can be seen in,
Love,Honour and Obey,also starring Ray Winstone, Cool
The Sheik scene and the hands registered as lethal weapon scene are worth the cost of the film alone, Laughing Out Loud
Denise Van Outen too, Wink

I was just watching the DVD's of Coupling (BBC version) it is hilarious stuff. Happy

Howard and Amy (whom I share a comedic bond), said they saw the American version of Coupling and it was horrible. Coupling was one of the examples of Hollywood's desire to "Americanize" humour. In my opinion, if you want to make a show like Coupling work, you get the British actors, writers, settings etc, etc...and if necessary just change some of the slang for the American audience. I don't think Hollywood gets it. Coupling is funny because of the context, writers, and actors. They think it is like a formula: if you reproduce the formula, then you get the same result...only humour like poetry is not a formula. Oh well... Happy

I just saw the names of the American actors who are playing Tim and Dawn and unfortunately Lucy Davis was not her name.

I looked for the Operation Good Guys DVD on BBC America and they don't have it...unfortunate.

Say Lee, I was reading that some folks over there are upset over the content of Ricky Gervais' stage comedy. Without going into explicit details, do you know what the excitement was about? Just curious...because I find Ricky Gervais to be "completely mental" as Brent would say, but in a very funny way.

On an interesting note, I saw Ricky Gervais in an episode of Alias. He was playing some bomber...very serious role for him. It was quite strange on several levels...first, I don't watch Alias so the fact that I caught his face flipping between commericals was weird, and then the fact that he was playing this very serious role really through me off a bit. I kept expecting him to start talking like David Brent when he was being interrogated. Laughing Out Loud

Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 25 Apr, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Hi Eric,

"The Office" is an amazing comedy series. I can't think of many shows that have managed to make me laugh and feel nauseous (from epathetic humiliation) at the same time. The Christmas special was especially painful...

David

That's it!!! I felt nauseous while I was laughing my ass off. Laughing Out Loud The whole Tina Turner scene just about killed me. I was laughing so hard I was crying but I felt very sick that he was oblivious to how bad he was.

I think we all have had a boss that has been to some degree David Brent. I have never seen one so bad but I've come close.

Lee O'Hagan

PostPosted: Mon 26 Apr, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Eric,
I think the answer to that would be,
The jokes in relation to the questionable mating preferences of certain animals,
Ricky Gervais branding some of the public as quite dumb for not getting the M,Jackson reference on the dvd cover,
Some people took offence,but thats coming from my bro as i'm yet to have the time to sit through it as the last dvd i borrowed was peter kay,live,very funny,
If you can get hold of the coupling episode Melty Man Laughing Out Loud ,
Couple of others,the fast show,Swiss Tony,
Not sure if you get channel 4 stuff your way but bo selecta (avid merrion) is top class,celebrity harrasment,michael jackass,craaiiG david (bedwetter)and the like,proper bo, Big Grin,Peter Kay,Phoeinix Nights,also standup live shows,
Plenty there to give you some laughs and wonder at the crazy Brit's.All the older stuff not withstanding,
Blackadder,Only fools and horses,Fawlty Towers,and the others mentioned,
Happy veiwings.
On checking play.com,
the majority of the different british series are on offer,alot around £8.00,-region 2,you will need a multi-region player,
I know there is a play USA,com,so you may get lucky,

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Way off weapons topic...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic