Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Valiant Armoury Signature Edition Swords - Whatta' Deal! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Valiant Armoury Signature Edition Swords - Whatta' Deal!         Reply with quote

For those of you that may not have seen this, but are interested . . .

Y'all remember hearing about the A-Trim/Christian Fletcher collaborations that Valiant Armoury announced some time back? Well, I noticed yesterday that Medieval Collectibles (http://www.medievalcollectibles.com) has significantly reduced the reservation prices on the VA Signature Edition swords (ex: Kriegschwert list: $499; Current price $403).

I had been thinking about reserving a Kriegschwert, and at that price, I couldn't resist!

Just thought others on the board might be interested.

And, no, I am not in any way connected to Valiant Armoury, Medieval Collectibles, Angus Trim or Christian Fletcher (other than as a customer).
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting if they are a legit vendor...I just don't know anything about them and when it sounds too good to be true....
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Very interesting if they are a legit vendor...I just don't know anything about them and when it sounds too good to be true....

I've purchased from them before, and I learned that they were handling this line through the VA site. My guess would be that, with the delay in the delivery dates and no real feedback on the items yet, reservations were coming kind of slow. Saw another site with a discount as well, just not quite as much.
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got an Email from KoA on those and it said:

On getting the AT304S The "Atrim" Practical Long Sword Sharp

Quote:
Yes we will offer this full line shortly. We have many new items going up on the site in the next couple of weeks. These will be available on our site very soon. Please keep an eye on our new items section to see when they are available.
Thanks
Ryan Whittlinger
www.KultOfAthena.com

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes we will offer this full line shortly. We have many new items going up on the site in the next couple of weeks. These will be available on our site very soon. Please keep an eye on our new items section to see when they are available.
Thanks
Ryan Whittlinger
www.KultOfAthena.com

Are you scared, Connor?
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:

Quote:
Thanks
Ryan Whittlinger
www.KultOfAthena.com

There's going to be different vendors and different price points....... And there's going to be, at least with this first batch, different quality levels. The "reworked", or "improved" versions of the practicals will be more expensive, but much closer to the AT spec. Still heavier, but the distal taper is straightened out, and the "dynamic" balance is more like an AT.

These first released Valiant Armory pieces actually beat my expectations. But a few were held back, because they didn't meet the expectation, and they're being reworked here.

The steel and heat treat far exceeded my expectation. It may be the 1060 as stated, but the finished product {and I've tested all of them that have come up here so far} is as resiliant as one would expect of a prime 5160 blade, and is as hard as my stuff. Much better than much of what can be found in the price range, and as good or better than many that cost 4 times as much.....

The "dynamic balance" of the stock stuff, is decent, once again better than most of the price range. Not going to get folks to swap in their AT's or Albions. But good for the price range. However, the stuff I fix, different story.

All in all, a good bargain in my view. I have some pretty decent expectations on the next stuff to arrive......

swords are fun
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: VA Practical "Gus Reworked"         Reply with quote

I have one of the original Valiant Armoury Practical AT304S swords that was on the light side of "in-spec" so it went out from VA. It is reviewed here on the SBG Forum.

I just received another that was over weight, and Gus reworked the geometry (I think it's the only one done so far?). They are both nice handling swords. But I'd characterize them as very different. The stock one I received is on the thin/light side, so it's very fast. But the lack of substantial distal taper and the overly thick tip make it not as dynamic as the one Gus reground.

No mistake about it, the stock one is definitely a very good sword for the money. But the one I got from Gus is downright impressive. I own several heavier "Gus Longswords" (heavy being a relative term here) and this one can stand alongside any of the heavier models in terms of handling and dynamics. And the included wood core, leather covered scabbard makes it a "steal of a deal".
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

All in all, a good bargain in my view. I have some pretty decent expectations on the next stuff to arrive......

Does this mean that the first to hit the shelves will be "ok" and the next set or run could be better?
Should we consider this a "Tune Up" time to see what is needed as far as quality control?

Are you scared, Connor?
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

Does this mean that the first to hit the shelves will be "ok" and the next set or run could be better?
Should we consider this a "Tune Up" time to see what is needed as far as quality control?

Hi Gary

I don't know what to expect...... I do know that "Managing Expectations" is crucial though.... so, I'd say that I'd expect that you'd get good value for the dollar again... You have to remember, these aren't made here in the USA, or anywhere that it would be easy to go and see how things are being done, and influence it easily. They're made in China.......

I can give you some impressions of this particular batch. I was and am very postively impressed with the hilt. The pommel is carbon copy of what was sent over there, and is made the same way { lathe, and milled slot}. The handle is leather over cord over wood core. The guard is cast, but a very impressive quality casting. Best I've seen in the price range. The thread end is welded, but its up inside the pommel, and looks to be very well done. Wood core scabbard is excellent too...... and all of this for less than $300.

The steel/ heat treat is superb. Its supposed to be 1060, but the end result is better than I've seen for a thru heat treated blade by just about anyone......{for the 10xx steels}

Aesthetically, the blade finish is superb. The edge geometry of the sharps is maybe too sharp, but it works because of the hardness.

So, right there, you have excellent value for the dollar.

There's a lot of variation in the blade thickness'. I've seen one start at .21 inch, and another .26 inch at the base. Distal taper varies a bit too. I expected this, these are supposed to be forged, and whether hand forged, or power hammer, I don't know how you'd get rid of the variation without a tremendous increase in price. Its that "handwork" thing.......

I can remember back around the turn of the century, folks would have really valued getting "hand forged" swords of this quality....... for twice the money. Things have changed, CNC now is the thing for making blade geometry.... but I have a suspicion that the forging process might have a little to do with the "heat treat" quality. Don't know for sure, but I am favorably impressed by what I've seen so far..........

I expect good value for the dollar. I do not expect $1000 value for less than $300 though. What I've seen doesn't equal a threat to Arms and Armor {Minneapolis}, Albion, AT, or Christian Fletcher. Nice for the money, but not the kind of quality to expect from North America or Europe. Maybe it'll happen in the future, but I don't expect it........

swords are fun
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Mon 05 May, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Angus! I look forward to getting one of these as soon as they are in stock.
The price range is excellent and they look great.
Job well done.

Are you scared, Connor?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Valiant Armoury Signature Edition Swords - Whatta' Deal!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic