Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Prototype of the Henry V Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Prototype of the Henry V Sword         Reply with quote

OK, everything has been finalized and paperwork signed with the Reinhardt Estate. We will be able to move forward with still producing the Hank Reinhardt Collection. So without further ado... Here is the proto-type of the Henry V sword from Generation 2.

First shipment should be here in June.

Here is the Copy and the stats, then followed by some teaser pictures:

Henry V Sword - Original: Dates before 1422. Westminster Abbey, England. Type XVIII, Pommel-type: J.1 Cross-style: 9
This sword probably hung above the chantry of King Henry V until it either fell, or was taken down and stowed away in an old chest in a room in the S. Triforium.
Henry V, British monarch of the early 15th century, was not just a ruler but an accomplished warrior who began fighting as early as age fourteen, when he fought the Welsh forces of Owain Glyndwr. Throughout his life, Henry V fought in many battles, including against the French in the 100 Years War. It is no wonder then that he would have chosen such a practical, no-nonsense weapon.

Ewart Oakeshott described this sword as "one of the most beautiful medieval swords to handle I have ever known." He also stated " In 1951 I spent a good deal of time with it."

We (Generation 2) has replicated this sword from a drawing given to us by Hank Reinhardt before his death. He have painstakingly recreated this sword according to his specifications.
Hank requested that the sword have the hollow pommel and that the blade be hollow-ground just like the original. He also said to try to come as near 2 lb.. which is what the original weighs.

Ours came in at 2 lb.. 13 oz., a little heavier. But here is where it is heavier. We are not capable of casting a hollow pommel, which certainly would have been lighter than our hollow pommel. I do not mind explaining how we made our pommel, so that you can judge for yourself the time we put into making this replica sword.
We started with 1/8" plate steel and made the circular band. Then we took two more 1/8" thick plate and made the front and back of the pommel, welded them together, ground and polished it smooth. I do believe this is where our extra weight comes from.

This sword does exemplifies attributes of a knightly sword of the highest quality . It has superb balance making it an exceptional fighting sword and excellent control of point for thrusting.

Blade length: 27 1/2"
Handle/Hilt length: 6 1/4"
Grip Length: 3 3/4"
Overall: 34 1/2"
quillon Length (Across): 8"
Point of Balance: 3 1/2" Below Hilt
Weight: 2 lb. 13 oz.

Comments please........

Attachment: 53.62 KB
Ip-703b.jpg

Attachment: 35.15 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 63.85 KB
[ Download ]
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is that a hollow ground blade I see there? I really like this one. I'd have to say that in my opinion this is the best looking sword you've all produced to date. The only complaint I'd have is the guard. It seems a little to wide for the type, although I'm no expert by a long shot. Could the guard be made thinner or would that be a price point issue? Speaking of price point, what will this sword be going for? All in all I really like this one and would definitely consider adding it to my collection.
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Capanelli wrote:
Is that a hollow ground blade I see there? I really like this one. I'd have to say that in my opinion this is the best looking sword you've all produced to date. The only complaint I'd have is the guard. It seems a little to wide for the type, although I'm no expert by a long shot. Could the guard be made thinner or would that be a price point issue? Speaking of price point, what will this sword be going for? All in all I really like this one and would definitely consider adding it to my collection.

Yes it is a hollow ground blade like the original. On the quillons (guard) we went off Hank's specs. I do not know what the original width of the guard is.

The Price is $279.00
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde,
This looks really nice. Very tempting. The pommel looks pretty good and I'm glad it's at least partially hollow. The shaping of the pommel looks a little different from the original and the recess doesn't look as deep. It would also be nice if the terminals on the guard were curled under (like the original) rather than clubbed. Those are relatively minor quibbles.

That said, I've owned a reproduction of this sword that was a few hundred dollars more expensive (with no scabbard or hollow grinding) and yours looks pretty darn good and is much cheaper. I think yours is a competitive offering. A few tweaks and it might become a must-have for even more people.

Here's the original for reference:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For that price, it looks like this will be a very competitive offering. I must say, this is the best looking sword you guys have turned out to date! There are some aesthetic things I could nitpick about, but considering this is under $300, if it handles well and is well made, I can live with that. Looking forward to seeing one of these.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Henry V sword.         Reply with quote

That is a very nice looking sword ! It is also one that I would certainly consider buying myself when it becomes available. My only question, and forgive my ignorance for this, is it a sharp blade ? I would want it for display, so blunted reenactment weapons are not of use or interest to me unfortunately.

Nice sword ! Happy I look forward to hearing more about it.

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might have to get this for myself. It doesn't fit into my recent move to keep my collection viking, but its a really good price.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all!

And Mr. Russ Thomas, yes it does come sharpened.

It should be available in late June.

Again thanks,
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On looks alone, this is without a doubt the best sword in the Gen 2 line. And if the sword handles as good as it looks then I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a better reproduction anywhere at the same price point. While there are a few minor details that people could nitpick about, at around $300 it really isn't worth it. Simply outstanding.
Shayan G

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This very well might be my first Euro sword! Unless it's sold out by the time I save up Eek!

I agree, this is definitely he most gorgeous sword I've seen out of Gen 2, even more so than the Witham and Irish, which is saying something! If it performs half as good as it looks, it will be well worth the price and THEN some.

Congratulations on a home run, Mr. Hollis!!

You have to be a man, first, before you can be a gentleman!
~the immortal John Wayne
David Sutton

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brilliant sword, the hollow grind looks very good Ill have to keep an eye out for this one. The Henry V sword is the first medieval sword I can ever recall seeing as a kid so I've always wanted to own a replica of it some time. This might be the one.

Top marks to Gen 2, game upped by about 500% I think! Cool

looking forward to seeing what else is in the pipline.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done, guys! A fitting tribute to HR.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:
Mike Capanelli wrote:

Yes it is a hollow ground blade like the original. On the quillons (guard) we went off Hank's specs. I do not know what the original width of the guard is.

The Price is $279.00

The guard doesn't seems thin to me and I personally like guards to be strong as long as they don't get chunky by overdoing it.

The ends being clubbed rather than curled under is a very minor detail I think: Probably more historically correct but they seem " plausable " to me in period ( could be wrong ? But I like the look anyway. Wink Big Grin )

The price makes it almost impossible to resist. Big Grin Cool And if the steel is as good as my Dordogne sword I know that it is also a quality using sword, so it should really inspire confidence in being able to survive normal use and borderline abuse like the accidental hitting of a nail with my Dordogne leaving only a tiny dent that disappeared after a light recharpening.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a FYI - We will include a 11"x17" drawing of the sword, but since Hank passed away before seeing it, there will be no signature on this drawing, as with the Dordogne and Witham swords.

But Hank did want copies of the drawings to be included with each sword. Just a little extra something.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:
Just a FYI - We will include a 11"x17" drawing of the sword, but since Hank passed away before seeing it, there will be no signature on this drawing, as with the Dordogne and Witham swords.

But Hank did want copies of the drawings to be included with each sword. Just a little extra something.

I've already asked Ryan at Kult of Athena about availability and to let me know when he thinks he will have them in stock.
( obviously after June when they are supposed to be ready for sale ).

Oh, also asked him about the riding sword. Wink Big Grin I haven't made the purchases official yet but the odds are high that I will get both.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm, part of that upcoming economic stimulus payout might just be spent on one of these. I wish though that I could handle it first before laying down the money.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a review done on one of the 2 proto-types that came in. Review was done by Mike Harris andother review will be done later by Adam Sharp.

Next shipment is in June.

http://sbgswordforum.proboards70.com/index.cg...hread=4589

Clyde
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:
Here is a review done on one of the 2 proto-types that came in. Review was done by Mike Harris andother review will be done later by Adam Sharp.

Next shipment is in June.

http://sbgswordforum.proboards70.com/index.cg...hread=4589

Clyde

Nice review, though I do wish people wouldn't steal myArmoury's images (the photo of the original sword they used is on a background unique to swords in our feature articles). Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So this is an Oakeshott Type XVIII sword? I am still working on learning the system.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
So this is an Oakeshott Type XVIII sword? I am still working on learning the system.

Yes sir, it is very close in that style.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Prototype of the Henry V Sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: