Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Books ..... what are you most after and why ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Books ..... what are you most after and why ?         Reply with quote

Hello folks,

As some of you will probably know, I am a dedicated arms and armour book collector. I have been after a copy of Lionello G. Boccias mammoth tome 'L'Armatura di Santa Maria delle grazie di curatone di Mantova e 'L'Armatura Lombarda del'400', for ages, like most of us probably. Fortunately I have just aquired a copy, but it has taken years to get one. My particular passion is 15th century Italian armour, so this was the volume that I needed. Now I am after 'L'Arte dell 'Armatura in Italia', by the same author.
I just wondered what particular titles you are desperately after, and why ? Who knows , perhaps someone reading this might even have what you are after............?? Happy

Many thanks,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll put in a plug here for interlibrary loan. I've gotten two very rare (and expensive) books this way, photocopied the parts I wanted, and sent them back to their source library. The service is usually free, and it's the only way many of us will have access to many of these rare books. Check with your local library for this service. If you know which library might have a copy of what you want, so much the better. The Library of Congress is a good place to start looking for books published in the U.S.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm after all kinds of stuff but my budget limits that, unfortunately. Happy I've been fortunate enough to amass a decent-sized library, but am always looking for more. Here are some of the ones I want the most:

Peter Finer's 2007 catalogue (to complete my set). Those catalogues are great pictorial references (some of the best out there), with text by noted people in the field.

Anything by Boccia except Armi Bianche Italiane (which I already have). Also fabulous references and well-illustrated.

Any of the Park Lane Arms Fair catalogues (except 17 and 18).

Plus everything on my wish list. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Russ Happy

I'm somewhat of a textile freak, so most of the books I buy are related to the subject. Fortunately, most of them are not to expensive either.

However, if there is one book I really would like, it is "Mediaeval European Jewellery With a Catalogue of the Collection in the Victoria & Albert Museum " by Ronald W. Lightbown. A treasure trove on everything bling-related! I really enjoy making belts/fittings and simple jewellery, and I always look to know more about the subject. Unfortunately, the book in question is out of print and goes for almost 1500 dollars on Amazon!

Ah well. I just pre-ordered two copies of the new softback-edition of "Dress Accessories". That'll be a nice start at any rate Happy.

I'd also like a copy of "Norske Alterfrontaler", a book with pics of norwegian altar frontals. Many of them are from the high middle ages, or "my" period. Costs about 400 dollars, which is not that much, but still more than I can justify to spend at the moment.

I guess I'm not as much after armour-related books as you, but then again I'm more of a textile armour & mail person Wink. And at any rate, if I need to know anything about the subject I can always phone you Laughing Out Loud

Johan Schubert Moen
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm kinda looking for Petersen's "De Norske Vikingesverd". While I have a .pdf of the thing, I'd like the original so that I can see the pictures in full resolution as it were, which may be useful if I ever try to publish a full translation of the thing.

Mostly I'm just looking for miscellanious articles and the like. For example, there are a couple of articles out of Acta Archaeologica Vols. 5 and 10 pertaining to Vendel Period helms that I've been hunting for a coon's age, to no avail. When I look on Bookfinder, I'll see Vols 4, 6, 9, 11 etc., or I'll see 5 and 10 available, but only as a part of a massive set of all volumes from, say, 1-60 (or whatever) that the seller wants maybe $8,000 (!!!!) for, but never (in over five years of looking) just 5 or 10. It's positively bizarre. I have no clue why these two in particular are so impossible to obtain.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Books...what are you most after and why?         Reply with quote

Phew thats's a question and an half for an avid book collector! For myself far too many but I've dropped very heavy hints to the future Mrs to be for my birthday this month I would like 'Spangenhelm' by Manhand Vogt, a comparative study of spangenhelms from north of the alps with 2:3 scale drawings of the helms, a mass of b&w illustrations and colour plates. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I'd recommend www.vs-books.de/ who have a good selection of arms armour, textile, and dress equipment books many not available usually from general outlets. They also have a couple of new releases in the Europe Militairia series this year.

best

Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

An interesting selection so far, thanks....keep 'em comin' Happy

C.Gadda wrote:

"I'm kinda looking for Petersen's "De Norske Vikingesverd". While I have a .pdf of the thing, I'd like the original so that I can see the pictures in full resolution as it were, which may be useful if I ever try to publish a full translation of the thing. "

Isn't there already an English translation of this book available ? I do have the book in Norwegian, but I could have sworn that I had heard somewhere that there is a translation out there.....

Johan, Hi mate ! Happy

Have you got 'Fashion in the age of the Black Prince' ?

Regards,

Russ

Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:

Johan, Hi mate ! Happy

Have you got 'Fashion in the age of the Black Prince' ?

Regards,

Russ

Yup, I do. Not quite my period, but still useful and interesting to read!

Another book I really would like is "Norske Sigiller", a book about norwegian medieval seals(not the mammals...). It is out of print, and a wee bit hard to get. Might have to try inter-library loan, but I'd still like to have my own copy. Mainly because I need some inspiration for a device to put on my shield...

Johan Schubert Moen
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another book I really would like is "Norske Sigiller", a book about norwegian medieval seals(not the mammals...). It is out of print, and a wee bit hard to get. Might have to try inter-library loan, but I'd still like to have my own copy.

Hei Johan,

There is a bookshop in Stavanger that is very good at finding stuff like this. I can try and see if I can find the address for you. Inge Thingnes told me about it. The local museum there is evidently really helpful with things like this too.

Hils,

Russ Happy

David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Books         Reply with quote

Now that proves the world is indeed a small place Russ, next time you see Inge give him my regards,, a dam fine fellow.
Dave Huggins, Offshore Medic Britnnia

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:

C.Gadda wrote:

"I'm kinda looking for Petersen's "De Norske Vikingesverd". While I have a .pdf of the thing, I'd like the original so that I can see the pictures in full resolution as it were, which may be useful if I ever try to publish a full translation of the thing. "

Isn't there already an English translation of this book available ? I do have the book in Norwegian, but I could have sworn that I had heard somewhere that there is a translation out there.....

Sort of. A partial translation is available online. I have in mind something that is more complete with quality pix.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

David, I will be sure to do so. Inge and I do talk on the phone from time to time, so I'll be sure to pass your greetings on ! He is indeed a great guy ! Happy

C.Gadda wrote:

"Sort of. A partial translation is available online. I have in mind something that is more complete with quality pix."

The bookshop that I mentioned in Stavanger turns up quite a lot of books by Petersen, and others, including the 'De Norske Vikingesverd', from time to time, and it is not that expensive. I'll post the address as soon as I can get hold of it.

Regards,

Russ

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Islamic Arms And Armour" by Robert Elgood. Last time I checked on abebooks, the cheapest one was £270.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

Hisham, Richard Brown at KenTrotmans had a copy for £250, book # 1902.

He also had ' The Arms and armour of Arabia in the 18th-19th and 20th centuries', by the same author for £125, book# 1903.

www.kentrotman.com

I do not know if they are still available, but it might be worth a look ? Both these books are scarce now and somewhat difficult to find.

Regards,

Russ

Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have two book on my list. the first is: "Engraved Illustrations of Antient Arms and Armour, from the Collection of Llewelyn Meyrick" and the second is "Waffen-Sammlung - The Collection of Max Kuppelmayr". Both are examples of outstanding 19th Century military arms collections. The books can be found, but at a high price. Luckily I'm a patient man...
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers Russ, thanks for that.

It's an expensive book. At the moment I cannot justify (not even to myself) spending that much money on a book. Happy
Shayan G

PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ostad Khorasani's book on Iranian arms and armor for me. It's much more than a college kid can afford. I've requested it to be purchased at my university library twice, with no response...

It's just so thorough it would be unfair to Manouchehr for less, but for me it will remain unreachable at its current cost. I bemoan it every time I see a shamshir picture online!

If Ostad Khorasani reads this, please don't lower your price however! Your work and the comprehensiveness of the book deserve no less than the price, and likely much more!

But still, that is the biggest gap in my library at the moment, one which smarts thoroughly.

And Hisham, Elgood is a close second place for me, he'd be wonderful as well. Hope you succeed in getting a copy!

And while I'm wishing, I'd love a book that cataloged the entirety of composite bows in Asia from the Seljuqs to the gunpowder era. Now THAT would be amazing!

You have to be a man, first, before you can be a gentleman!
~the immortal John Wayne
Hisham Gaballa

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought Manouchehr's book a few months ago. I got it off Abebooks for a pretty reasonable price. It's a very useful reference work and also a heafty item with hundreds of pictures, so the high price is justified.
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last copy of the Kuppelmeyer catalogue that I saw for sale was at auction and that fetched £750 ! Eek!

Russ

PS. I haven't seen the Khorosani volume personally, but Richard at Ken Trotmans says in their catalogue that it weighs almost 5kgs ! Wow, that must indeed be some book Exclamation

R.

Aleksa Crkvenjakov

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I'm mostly looking for catalogues of museum with armour. So far I acquired the Kunshistorische catalogue and The Churburg Armoury book which is more or less a catalouge. It is very hard to find any sort of book on armour of any kind here so I rely on foreign museums and hope I will find something good if I ever visit them.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Books ..... what are you most after and why ?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: