Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valiant / Gus Trim Practicals are in stock and shipping now Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 05 Apr, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Valiant / Gus Trim Practicals are in stock and shipping now         Reply with quote

Gus has signed off and we have all 4 practical swords in stock.

http://www.valiant-armoury.com/practical.html
Ted Hewlett

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sonny:

I'm very excited about these Practicals, hoping that these will be suitable for stage combat. Coupla questions:

1. These come with a leather covered wood scabbard, right? Do the scabbards and grip come in black only?
2. How thick are the edges/point? Are they rounded over, or more square?
3. Is the tang threaded, and therefore dismountable for inspection? If so, how does the pommel attach? Since it's a wheel pommel, I'm concerned that the pommel maintains its proper alignment.
4. Do you have more pictures of all of the above -- the scabbard, the edges, close-ups of the hilt, photos of the tang + shoulders + threading, etc etc?
5. More info please on the type of steel, hardness, etc. Is the grip leather over wood, leather over cord, what?

Thanks a lot! And best of luck with both this new line, as well as the Christian Fletcher/Gus Trim Signature line ... they both look great, and I'm glad to see that you're taking Valiant Armoury in this new direction.

Ted
Adam Sharp

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Valiant Armory Practical Line         Reply with quote

I am also curious as to the nature of the blunted swords.

Are they truly blunt, or are they merely unsharpened?

Would they be suitable for blunt steel on steel contact in a Western Martial Arts setting with blunt swords from other manufacturers(Pavel Moc, Albion, Arms and Armor, etc)?
Ted Hewlett

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I posted the same question over at Sword Forum (except the part regarding the leather color, which I forgot to ask about), and Gus gave this reply:

1. Yes

2. Depends. I have two of the blunt longswords here, and the one that "passed muster", has a .06 inch edge {1.5mm} pretty much throughout. The one that I "improved" has an .04 inch {1mm} edge at the cross, 1.5mm at the 2/3 point, and 2mm at the point. The edge is pretty square, but hard. I tested these with what I have here in the shop, and they tested about 52rc. Edge held up fine banging against AT blunts... one AT blunt with a rounded .03 edge, the Valiant sword cut into. Another with 1.5mm edge, both blades wound up with marks on the edge, but not really any deep dents.

I am a bit surprised at the quality of the heat treat. I expected about 45 to 48, which would be pretty good for a sword in this price range, and would fall into the average range for swords in this price range. But the blades are harder, and still pretty resiliant. Who says you can't make a good blade of 1060?

3. Yes. The pommel attaches like at AT. In otherwords, the wheel pommels are keyed in by the tang. It looks like a 6mm allthread piece is welded on, rather than grinding the end of the tang round and threading like I do, but its done real well. Threads are metric, tang nut needs a large screw driver to remove.

4. I'll see what I can do about photos later tonite, probably wouldn't hurt if someone reminded me as I've become awful absent minded.....

5. The steel is 1060, and the 8 samples I have here {2 of each model} are pretty consistent. Low 50s rc, and pretty resiliant. I haven't seen much of the "current" stuff out there, but of the stuff available 2 years ago, I'd say for the price these will be hard to beat on a durability basis.

Theoretically, 5160 and 6150 are superior to 1060 for a sword steel. However, the heat treat is more important than the steel choice, and the heat treat is impressive. It probably doesn't hurt that these are forged.

I haven't cut into one of the handles to actually check. But it sure looks and feels like leather over cord over wood. Remind me to check this later today too.......
Peter Törlind

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: “Atrim” Practical Arming Sword         Reply with quote

I received my “Atrim” Practical Arming Sword yesterday Shipping from US to Sweden in 4 days;-)
Bought the sword from SBG.
Nice and quick response from Paul Southren

The sword itself is a quite nice sword, and feels light and agile in hand.
The grips looks and feels nice.

I was impressed by the scabbard very nice work for that price;-) Nicely stitched leadher over wood core.

With this first look review I am very pleased with my purchase.

Regards Peter T
Dave Smith

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was able to handle the two sharp versions today (arming and longsword), as well as the arming sword blunt, and I was very pleased. I'd like to echo Peter's sentiments about feeling light and agile. The craftsmanship is also excellent for this price range. All in all, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better sword for the money.

Hopefully one of the esteemed veterans of these forums will grace us with a review of these swords sometime soon. Big Grin
K. Horton

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Atrim sharp longsword         Reply with quote

Dave,
I was wondering what the specs are on the longsword you handled were? The website at Valiant says they may
vary. Maybe I have missed reading them. I'm very interested and considering one for what would be my first
sharp sword purchase.

Ken
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Atrim sharp longsword         Reply with quote

K. Horton wrote:
Dave,
I was wondering what the specs are on the longsword you handled were? The website at Valiant says they may
vary. Maybe I have missed reading them. I'm very interested and considering one for what would be my first
sharp sword purchase.

Ken

Sonny:

Oh, someone at my longsword class last night who is interested in buying the blunts told me that he was deferring buying for now because of the absence of sword specs on these on the Valiant site. Eek!

I mentioned to him about the availability of these last week because he had asked me about them some weeks before.

Just think that the Valiant site should update with the specs as this may be dissuading some from buying: Just mentioning this to be helpful ( Thought it's something you should know. Big Grin ).

Yes, he could e-mail and I suggested that he do so but he felt that he shouldn't have to e-mail to know essentiel information.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 16 Apr, 2008 4:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sammy Jackson

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: soooooooooooooooooooooooooo         Reply with quote

hey guys! these are awesome swords for the price! but im a lil confused. are they actully made by Gus?
sammy the man
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: soooooooooooooooooooooooooo         Reply with quote

Sammy Jackson wrote:
hey guys! these are awesome swords for the price! but im a lil confused. are they actully made by Gus?

Check this out: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=10507

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Dave Smith

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Atrim sharp longsword         Reply with quote

K. Horton wrote:
Dave,
sharp sword purchase.

Ken

If I remember I should be able to check the specs tomorrow... unless Sonny, or Gus, beats me to it and posts them himself.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Atrim sharp longsword         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
K. Horton wrote:
Dave,
sharp sword purchase.

Ken

Sonny:

Oh, someone at my longsword class last night who is interested in buying the blunts told me that he was deferring buying for now because of the absence of sword specs on these on the Valiant site. Eek!

I mentioned to him about the availability of these last week because he had asked me about them some weeks before.

Just think that the Valiant site should update with the specs as this may be dissuading some from buying: Just mentioning this to be helpful ( Thought it's something you should know. Big Grin ).

Yes, he could e-mail and I suggested that he do so but he felt that he shouldn't have to e-mail to know essentiel information.

There's some variation in these {they're not all the same, as they're forged in China}........however, the one here that I haven't "fixed" is 3lbs 6 oz, has a nearly 46 inch total length, a 34.6 inch blade {the other one is 35 inches}, a cog of 5 inches.........

swords are fun
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Apr, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: soooooooooooooooooooooooooo         Reply with quote

Sammy Jackson wrote:

No........ they're made in China. My design, but the manufacture is in China. They're excellent swords for the price, but they're not "Gus" swords.......

swords are fun
Dave Smith

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the measurements I was able to get today:

Arming sword Blunt: Blade length- 30.75 inches, Overall Length: 38 inches

Arming Sword Sharp: Blade- 31.5, OA- 38.25

Longsword Blunt: Blade- 34.75, OA- 45.5

Longsword Sharp: Blade- 36.25, OA- 45.5

The longsword blunt measurements seem pretty much on par with Gus's post, so we can probably assume they're all pretty standardized despite being handforged.
K. Horton

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: practical Atrim swords measurements         Reply with quote

Thank you for the measurments, another question, what measurements do most of you prefer in a
longsword and why?

Ken
Ted Hewlett

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: any updates?         Reply with quote

Hi Gus (or Sonny):

Any pictures yet of the various components (close-ups of hilt, edges, point), scabbard, grip construction, etc?

I realize that these are hand-made, and so the measurements will differ slightly, but even some baseline specs would be very useful ... what would be an acceptable range for you in each category (that are currently listed but blank at the Valiant Armoury site), before you had to send it back?

Thanks again,

Ted
David Stokes

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wait wait wait...

In confused....
How do you get this:

from this

or was the CF proto for something else?
not really looking much alike....
or did i miss something?
Dave Smith

PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The practical longsword in the first picture is from a more basic line inspired by Gus's personal designs. The second picture is a prototype of a sword that will be part of a completely different line-up called the "Signature Collection". The signature collection is based on collaborations between Gus and Christian and is due out later this year according to the Valiant Armoury website.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Valiant / Gus Trim Practicals are in stock and shipping now
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic