Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sizing of mail armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
John H

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Sizing of mail armor         Reply with quote

I think this is the right forum?

I have a suit of armor being built right now and am looking for a mail skirt to go under it. I have found one that suits my needs online but I am unsure of the size I should be looking for.

My waist is 34 inches (I'm 5'11'' and 185 lbs.). The piece of mail I am considering is 50 inches in circ at the top and 60 at the bottom (20 inches tall). I would be wearing a padded gambeson under it.

So, my question is if this piece is too big for me? I know I want plenty of play so that I can move in it (fight, crouch, run, etc.). What do you say? Thanks!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depends on whether it is properly taillored on not. If it is just a tube with sleeves then it needs to be much larger than if it has contractions and expansions in the right places to fit the body more snugly.
John H

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is just the fauld or skirt that belts at the waist and covers the bottom of your torso under the breastplate.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How is it going to hang? Is it sewn onto a leather belt, or does it have loops/hooks to hang from one, or attached by some other means?

If the measure is the circumference of the maximum extension of the mail itself, you definitely want it bigger than your waist size by quite a bit. 50% oversize sounds pretty good. The mail will pull together under its own weight and is pretty accommodating if it hasn't been restricted in some way.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
John H

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good info. Actually, I would be interested in suggestions on how to suspend it. It would come with just the mail, no suspension system whatsoever. I was thinking of punching holes along the bottom edge of a belt and lacing/stringing the mail to it. What is the historical approach?
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John H wrote:
Good info. Actually, I would be interested in suggestions on how to suspend it. It would come with just the mail, no suspension system whatsoever. I was thinking of punching holes along the bottom edge of a belt and lacing/stringing the mail to it. What is the historical approach?

Ideally you'll want to point it to your arming doublet. Or if you point it to a belt, then point the belt to the doublet. If your doublet is well fitted, then the weight will rest mainly on your hips.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sizing of mail armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic