Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nice medieval dagger, and a question re: custom commissions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Nice medieval dagger, and a question re: custom commissions         Reply with quote

I have no intention of stepping on anyone's toes or asking for unfair comparisons, but I would like to get a little forum feedback on something.

There's a medieval dagger (that is, I think it's medieval - geez, one of these days I really need to get some literature on western swords) in the Met that I love. I sincerely hope it is still on display, because if at all possible, I am strongly considering having a replica made of it, and to do so I'd need to take some profile pics, etc. I'm attaching the one photo I do have for you all to enjoy. Happy

SO the question is, who would you guys commission to do something like this? I've browsed a few sites and looked at the work of a few smiths, and I have to admit I think a number of them do nice work. Vladimir Cervenka seems like a good choice for me, for instance - seems like he makes nice looking functional stuff for a decent price, and quickly as well. Phoenix Metal Creations would be great, but of course is backed up like nothing else - besides which, he doesn't do the blades themselves, does he? Some of the high end custom guys would probably be able to make a piece significantly surpassing the original in my opinion, but I don't think I could afford either the price or the wait! Happy

So what do you guys think? Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachment: 24.67 KB
Dagger.jpg

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd talk to the guys at Arms and Armor. The piece isn't so far from ones that they currently do.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice medieval dagger, and a question re: custom commissi         Reply with quote

That's a Renaissance piece, dated from 1580-1610, I'd say. There's a replica of it already available, and its matching rapier and scabbards, made by Oscar Kolombotavich in the 90's. It's quite nice, though compared to today's standards, its tang isn't very sturdy. I'd hope you weren't going to be using it for sparring, though. The set is quite quite expensive, though. Right now, American Fencers Supply has probably the only non-used one available in the world.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as getting a custom version made, I'd knock on the doors of A&A and see if they'd do a custom piece for you. Else, I'd say Erik Stevenson is the man to do it, though he isn't taking any new comissions now.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also have to say Arms & Armor.

Here are 2 more pictures for you.

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/3443.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/3444.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/442.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/443.html

Attachment: 29.67 KB
Rapier and Dagger german1610.jpg
Met. Dagger

Attachment: 67.17 KB
dagga.jpg
similar parrying dagger from Hermann Historica

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Thu 15 Apr, 2004 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Er - It isn't the "Tower Set," is it? Dang... well, without pics I wouldn't buy it anyway.

I'll check out A&A... I actually do not know if I'll be going through with this or not, all depends on how things go financially over the next few months, but I would like to have it made. Anyway, thanks for the comments, I appreciate it - man, I really need to get up to speed with the western stuff, I feel like I'm fumbling in the dark here... Wink

PS - Thanks for the pics and info, nice to have. Personally I prefer the Met's dagger over that other antique, but hey, it is the Met after all...
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Er - It isn't the "Tower Set," is it?

Yep. That's it.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just going to add to the chorus...A&A!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do believe Del Tin makes a replica of that dagger right now. It just does not have the engraving on the cross.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Nordstrom wrote:
I do believe Del Tin makes a replica of that dagger right now. It just does not have the engraving on the cross.

Hi James,

The Del-tin dagger is noticeably different.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4836.html

But it is nice.

edit: Ahh...I see which one you are talking about. (below)

Last edited by Stephen A. Fisher on Thu 15 Apr, 2004 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthur A. Elwell

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin Makes a similar dagger numbered 5163 and selling for $224.07.
It's 20.5 inches overall in length with a 15 inch blade.

Attachment: 30.95 KB
lefthand dagger 001 (Small).jpg

Attachment: 38.25 KB
lefthand dagger 004 (Small).jpg

Arthur A. Elwell
A Work Of Art
http://www.a-work-of-art.net
aelwell45@msn.com
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still don't like it as much as the one I want. But the Del Tin that Stephen Fisher posted is actually quite nice. If I can't afford to get the Met one custom made, I might look for that model.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arthur A. Elwell wrote:
Del Tin Makes a similar dagger numbered 5163 and selling for $224.07.
It's 20.5 inches overall in length with a 15 inch blade.

Mr. Elwell,

Is this one of Fulvio's new daggers or is this an old model? I have never seen this one before.

thanks
Arthur A. Elwell

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Not New !         Reply with quote

Dear Stephen
I've actually had this one over a year now. I ran across it quite by accident.
Upon placing an order I noticed a product number I didn't recognize, so out of
curiosity, I ordered one.

Art

Arthur A. Elwell
A Work Of Art
http://www.a-work-of-art.net
aelwell45@msn.com
James Sharpe

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephan,
How is it going? That Del Tin that you posted is one that I got from you. It is still sitting on my wall at home. Gabriel, if you can't afford the custom one I would definetly recommend the Del Tin, I have been very happy with it. I believe it is model # DT 2166.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I can't afford much of anything right now, the sensible part of my brain went on vacation one day and when it returned I had a Howard Clark sanmai tanto. But I still like both the DT dagger and the Met dagger, so perhaps one day in the future... Happy
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice medieval dagger, and a question re: custom commissi         Reply with quote

Just FYI, its still on display at the Met...just saw it there yesterday

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
I have no intention of stepping on anyone's toes or asking for unfair comparisons, but I would like to get a little forum feedback on something.

There's a medieval dagger (that is, I think it's medieval - geez, one of these days I really need to get some literature on western swords) in the Met that I love. I sincerely hope it is still on display, because if at all possible, I am strongly considering having a replica made of it, and to do so I'd need to take some profile pics, etc. I'm attaching the one photo I do have for you all to enjoy. Happy

SO the question is, who would you guys commission to do something like this? I've browsed a few sites and looked at the work of a few smiths, and I have to admit I think a number of them do nice work. Vladimir Cervenka seems like a good choice for me, for instance - seems like he makes nice looking functional stuff for a decent price, and quickly as well. Phoenix Metal Creations would be great, but of course is backed up like nothing else - besides which, he doesn't do the blades themselves, does he? Some of the high end custom guys would probably be able to make a piece significantly surpassing the original in my opinion, but I don't think I could afford either the price or the wait! Happy

So what do you guys think? Comments and suggestions welcome.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nice medieval dagger, and a question re: custom commissions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic