Go to page 1, 2  Next

Custom type X from A&A
Craig from Arms&Armor just sent me an email saying that the custom piece I ordered is done. He sent along some pics which I thought I'd share. It won't be in my hands until next week and I sure am excited to get it. It's a reproduction of the type X on page 124 of "Swords of the Viking Age". Here are the specs:

OL: 35.4 inches
BL: 30.25 inches
Weight: 1204 grams/2.6 lbs.
BP: 6.2 inches

Attachment: 69.5 KB
VikSwdTL03s[1].jpg

Attachment: 91.66 KB
[ Download ]
Very nice.

I noticed on a recent war sword purchase that A&A seems to be elevating their game a bit. Hitting some details oon a semi standard piece that I've not always seen them do before. You custom seems to reflect that as well.
Tim,

Heartfelt congratulations! I like the whole sword but I especially like the handle wrap. I bet you're itching to get it in your hands. Are you planning to do any cutting with it?

Ken Speed
Ken Speed wrote:
Tim,

Heartfelt congratulations! I like the whole sword but I especially like the handle wrap. I bet you're itching to get it in your hands. Are you planning to do any cutting with it?

Ken Speed

I'll second that about the wrap being very nice and the Brazil Nut pommel also looks very good as well as the subtle lines of the guard.

A pic of the whole sword would be nice if possible ?
Jean-

The second photo is of the whole sword. You just have to hit download.

Ken-

I may do a little cutting at some point but no plans yet. I am very excited to see how this one feels! The grip does look pretty nice. It was Craig's (from A&A) suggestion to go with the x's on the grip. Good call Craig!

Joe-

Yes, it seems as though this one is an A+. The sublety on the cross looks especially nice. The end of the fuller on the blade looks like it is extremely well done too. It's looks to be an outstanding sword.
Nice...congrats on a nice piece. I really love the color of the hilt.
Tim Lison wrote:
Jean-

The second photo is of the whole sword. You just have to hit download.

OOOOOPS: Hadn't notice the download pic. :blush: ;)

Well, the whole sword looks really good. :D :cool:
Very nice sword! I like the tea cosy/brazilnut pommel too. :cool:
Going to be interesting to see some shots after you get it in hand.

Impressions as well.
I would have to agree with the comments about the grip. I'm guessing that Albion's Reeve is based on the same sword, it's certainly very similar, and whilst that is a nice sword, the grip really makes this one stand out. Very nice.
Quote:
I would have to agree with the comments about the grip. I'm guessing that Albion's Reeve is based on the same sword, it's certainly very similar, and whilst that is a nice sword, the grip really makes this one stand out. Very nice.

I don't know if they are both inspired by the same sword, but this one seems to have a little more "meat" on the blade then the Reeve.

Anyway, very nice sword Tim, congratulations ! I agree with the comments above concerning the guard and the grip, it's those little details that make all the difference... ;)

From the second picture, it appears to me that the tip has a flat diamond cross-section, rather than the usual flat oval one we see on most repros (including the Reeve). I wonder how common was this feature on the originals... ?
Very nice Tim. I love the pommel. It looks like it will be a killer cutter.
A beautiful piece! I've always liked Brazil nut styled pommels. They seem to make for a nice, solid counterweight, as well as creating an strong visual impact.

Let us know how it handles when you have the chance.
A beautiful piece! I've always liked Brazil nut styled pommels. They seem to make for a nice, solid counterweight, as well as creating an strong visual impact.

Let us know how it handles when you have the chance.
Congratulations Tim,

That's a handsome sword. Brazil nut/tea cozy pommels are my favorite and it's really great to see the guys at A&A doing more of their custom items!

Jeremy
Congratulations Tim! Very nice... now there's another custom A&A piece floating around out there I'm keeping my beady eye on... ;)
Very nice, Tim, simple but unique looking in its way. Gotta' question for you, I know
you've had something done by OlliN Swords, and I'm just curious if you're
willing to discuss why you chose Arms&Armor to make this sword ?
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Very nice, Tim, simple but unique looking in its way. Gotta' question for you, I know

Matthew-

No real reason, I guess I just like to spread the love around. This is my first custom sword from A&A (I actually have a second on order, hopefully to be done soon!). I have really liked the production pieces I've bought from them and the other custom work they've done seems good. Ollin is top notch and I love the swords they've made for me and highly recommend them as a custom maker. It's just fun to have a couple things going at once.....I guess I'm a little promiscuous when it comes to swords! ;)
Hugo Voisine wrote:

From the second picture, it appears to me that the tip has a flat diamond cross-section, rather than the usual flat oval one we see on most repros (including the Reeve). I wonder how common was this feature on the originals... ?

Hugo-

It does look that way. I'll have to see when I get it. I am curious about the same thing. There are many swords from this era that "look" like they could be flattened diamonds but it is hard to tell from photos of corroded swords. I left the specifics up to Craig, he might have more insight than I do as he's handled original swords and I haven't. I'll post some close ups of the tip when I get it.
Tim Lison wrote:
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:

Matthew-

No real reason, I guess I just like to spread the love around. This is my first custom sword from A&A (I actually have a second on order, hopefully to be done soon!). I have really liked the production pieces I've bought from them and the other custom work they've done seems good. Ollin is top notch and I love the swords they've made for me and highly recommend them as a custom maker. It's just fun to have a couple things going at once.....I guess I'm a little promiscuous when it comes to swords! ;)

Hiya Tim ... I think what I'll always find interesting is the process and history behind a custom order.
Note I write custom. As I've tried to see be discussed in a few places, there is an obvious difference
between ordering from the selection of swords at, for example, Albion, and taking something out
of a book and financing its re-creation with a smith or company ... Sometimes we as customers end
up taking certain things for granted. Believing the processes for both types of items shouldn't be any
different, and I think some will agree that it ... just ... ain't ... so.

Spreading the love around is as good a reason to do something as any, Tim ! B-)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: