Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > About Windlass Steelcraft swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Li Jin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: About Windlass Steelcraft swords         Reply with quote

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

I just started collecting swords last summer, I made many mistake buying swords that will felling apart so easliy.
Recently, I been buying Hanwei swords, and the quality of Europeans swords such as Rapiers, have bend blade,
so I moved my eyes onto windlass steelcraft, I went to many other place to find out about windlass steelcraft swords,
many says they make over flex blades, and I found one review says the sticklestad viking sword is one of their good swords that didn't suffer the over flex tempering. And I also looking at the hand and half swords, such as German
hand and half swords made by windlass Steeclcraft.

My question is, between sticklestad and german Hand and half sword, which one would be a better choice? I'm sorry if I don't have the picture of German hand and half, because I'm using a school PC, I been through many
failure collecting swords, and I hope someone would help me and tell me some about windlass swords.

Is my first time posting questions here and if I made mistakes please correct me, thank you sirs and ladies. Have a nice day!

Jin
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums! It says you are in New York, but it doesn't seem that English is your first language. Where are you from?

I have owned a sword from Windlass Steelcrafts in the past. They're not exactly high end, and are somewhat heavy, but they're by far not the worst on the market. Their overall quality has apparently improved over the years.

If you have the disposable income, makers like Albion, Arms and Armor, and a Angus Trim make some very nice specimens.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled the Sticklestadt ones and I liked it very much. Very solid feel, not to flexible, good amount of blade presence but not too heavy... It might even be my next sword, I'm saving money for a viking sword now. Of course there are much better swords but for the money not bad at all.
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you only have a couple of hundred dollars to spend, it's hard to beat Windlass.

However, odds are that you're eventually going to buy two or three of the things as many people do. If I were you, I'd kick that habbit before it begins and just get a quality sword to start with.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
I have purchased MRL swords in the past. They are just a step above Depeeka and are ok if they are to hang on a wall. if you want to actually use the sword than don't buy an MRL. My first MRL sword was an Oakeshott type X with a brazil nut pommel I believe it was called the Late Norman Sword and cost me roughly $215.00. The blade was poorly tempered and though this sounds unbelievable when I was chopping a pumpkin the sword actually got a large nick from a seed. the pommel wasn't on straight and the cross wasn't even width, however many originals were like this as they were done by hand and eye entirely. The blade rattled after the second chop and continued to fall apart until I disassembled they entire sword epoxied the fittings cut down the grip and heat peened the pommel down. The scabbard was innacurate for the time frame of the sword and thus I made a new one for it, when i took off the chape to put onto an A&A sword I found the scabbard was a thick cardboard covered in faux suede. I would suggest avoiding MRL and trying Albion the squire line is quite good and about the same price as MRL.

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: MRL vs. Albion Squire Line         Reply with quote

Currently, Albion Squire Line swords run between $389 - $444.

Most MRL swords sell between about $200 and $249. If money is an issue, as it is with many of us, Albion Squire Line swords cost roughly twice as much as MRL, which on average aren't bad for simpe test cutting. Yes, I know a few people have had issues with some MRL swords, but overall they are a pretty decent compromise between durability, functionlity and historical accuracy comapred with similarly priced swords. If money is not an object, Albion Squire Line swords are pretty hard to beat - as long as their limited choices fill your need. There are only four styles, currently.

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Li Jin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again

I'm from New York city and I came from China Sir Eversberg. Thanks to all friendly mate's information,
Accually, I cut my hand really deep with an katana before, I grew little bit fear handling razor sharp swords, I heard AA
produces really sharp swords...well, known I'm only 16 years old, and is a pleasure to meet every collectors on this forum.
I was comparing this sword to the sticlestad. Thanks to all.

Jin

Attachment: 16.38 KB
501050.jpg

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Windlass improved during the past few years and I doubt they nick that easily any more. I had Windlass 15th century longsword and Ulfberht and they were both quite good swords, too flexible, but quite durable and solid in hilt construction.
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have both Windlass and Del Tin and I find them both good choices.
I do not go around cutting VW's in half so I can't say how much abuse they will take but I guarantee that if you put the pointy end into someone, it will work as advertised.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
L. Bailey

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Windlass: Sword of Auray, and its a great sword for the price, which was 150 dollars. Not too whippy, and the quality of steel is excellent. It also handles very well, unlike any other low-level swords ive ever handled. Windlass has improved a lot over the years.
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ARMA NYC meets in spanish harlem. between us we have a number of swords by different companies. stop by some time, give them a try.
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Li Jin . I own the Windlass Oakeshott type XIIa and for $169.00 I am more than pleased with the purchase. Although I've nothing to compare it to other than reading the reviews here and elsewhere it would appear that consistency isn't always a Windlass strong point. I seem to have gotten lucky and received 1 that is finished quite nicely.

I too was looking at that german hand & 1/2. It was in part the review of another forum member. Mike arledge that steered me towards the XIIa. Again, I have nothing to compare it too but it must be a fair cutter because I certainly didn't make the 10,000 practice cuts I've read somewhere to make before that 1st real one and it slides through water filled milk jugs and rolled mats like butter. It controls easily enough that I can make precise enough cuts to 1st take of the cap and a sliver of jug and then 4 or 5 1 inch slices before I start worrying about striking the stand. I am severely limited in my range of physical motion so I can only imagine what it would perform like in the hands of members here who are fit and practice every day. I do feel it's the blades qualities and not any natural ability on my part. the only natural I've been accused of is being a natural idiot Big Grin .

The only negatives I have on it are at 7 inches it's POB is a bit far out even for a cut orientated long sword and after several sweaty weeks of doing forms the wrap began to come undone. Instead of the leather being glued in its entirety only a thin line had been applied along the seem. Easy enough to fix but upon removing the wrap to fix it properly I found that I rather liked the way the dark reddish wood looked and the brass headed studs (11 each side) along the handle make a nice compliment to the pommel and guard

There are a goodly number of members here who will direct you to only save your money for a sword they would approve of, not through any ill will mind you but, I believe because they simply cannot fathom that for some of us the price of an Albion, A& A or a nice custom blade is beyond reasonable expectations for some of us. Case in point, myself. Without going into why my finances are in such a dismal state suffice it to say a dollar is a dear sum to me. I've been saving for my next blade since last October and was all the way up to the whopping sum of $46.00 which has been set back recently for a good cause.

Now I would dearly love to someday be the care taker for my dream sword the Albion Gallowglass but at it's price point dream is all I would do for the next 10 years or more if you consider that in that time Albions prices will likely raise and my dollars value will likely fall. It's far more realistic and enjoyable for me to set my sights on something like the Windlass Footmans Falchion. Is it of the quality of those Albions, A&A or Barta customs? Of course not and you know what? In a year and 1/2 or two years when that big box is being carried towards my door I'll be grinning like a natural idiot.

There are a few other companies right now who have some new product coming together that won't be priced to high and are supposed to be steps in a positive direction. If you don't need your blade immediately you might want to check out some of the stuff Valiant Armoury and Hanwei have in the works. Still in all if your low rent like me you may find some of the Windlass more than good enough.

Keep in mind that sometimes asking about lower end swords on this forum can be akin to going to the Ukanuba World dog show and asking " What do you think of my Border collie/Queensland mix ? " the short answer would be " Not much " If your not going to bother with a pomeranian or a French Poodle worth more than my home then you obviously "" don't get it "". By all means get all the quality you can afford but if it's not that much quality and it still makes you smile then thats all that should matter.

Let us know what you decide on.

Last edited by J. D. Carter on Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Other swords currently in the price range of note.

Darksword...they are HEAVY. No really, they weight much more then they should going from what they list...and they usually weight MORE then that. The plus side...they are TOUGH like nobodies buisness. Also note that these do not come sharp...and due to their tough nature, it is VERY hard to sharpen them yourself if your new to it.

Gen 2...They handle well, are weight decently...have very ugly handle and fittings. Very big handles...but if you buy from AoV they can rework the handle to your liking.

Cas/Hanwei...They have the tinker swords coming out soon. They new medeval swords should have solid pommels now...but you should ask whoever you order from about that. Their QC tend to be kinda all over the place however so it is VERY important to buy from a vendor with a good return policy. Well this is true of any swords in this price category, but even more so with hanwei.

Valiant...wait until Sonny brings his new lines in. Their current line is kind of a none factor even in this price range.

Kris cutlery...they have a few items. They seem to be fairly decently made.

And links...

Darksword.
http://www.darksword-armory.com/

Gen 2
http://imperialweapons.com/

Cas/Hanwei
http://www.casiberia.com/

Valiant
http://www.valiant-armoury.com/

Kris
https://www.kriscutlery.com/index.html

Arms of Valor (AoV)
http://www.armsofvalor.com

And a generally good site for getting deals and reading reviews.
http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/index.html

Welcome to the community Happy .
Li Jin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good day again

Thanks alot, but is there any website that sells Albion practical swords? Or some manufactory with
their swords that doesn't not carry a edge, and in United States, please tell me one, many thanks to all sir.

Jin
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Li Jin wrote:
Good day again

Thanks alot, but is there any website that sells Albion practical swords? Or some manufactory with
their swords that doesn't not carry a edge, and in United States, please tell me one, many thanks to all sir.

Jin

http://www.albion-swords.com/

You will want to look at the Squire and Maestro lines for unsharpened blades and training/sparring.

http://www.kultofathena.com/

Most if not all the Windlass come unshapened although they are thin enough that they wouldn't be safe for sparring. I paid for the sharpening, mostly because I inherited all my fathers fine whetstones and I was curious to see what manner of edge it would arrive with. It was exceptionally sharp.
Li Jin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Does that mean the windlass swords, some came with semi sharpen edge that would cut in a manner of
touching the edge with bear hand? Thank you. I always buy from Kult of athena~but I was wondering if there is
other websites that are selling the albion practical swords? Thanks again.

Jin
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion are gonna be the same price no matter where you buy them(unless going the second hand route), so might as well just buy from albion. What exactly do you want a sword for? Is it for cutting? Sparing? To keep around? re-enactment? Costume?
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to have a windlass european, the edge was dull enough that the blade would not cut flesh, but could be sharpened to the point that it could. I have also had a Kris Cutlery gladius and that was VERY sharp. I cut my finger one day when it slid out of the scabbard, so if you want something that you won't cut yourself with, i would not choose kris cutlery. A Hanwei practicle line would be a good choice. The windlass would also be good inthat it does not come sharp, but could be sharpened at a later date should you wish it. In regards to geting an albion maestro, you might see if KultofAthena could get one for you. I understand they are good at that, and they already seel some albion swords.
Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it as much as i have.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Li Jin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks alot friends, I'm very please with all helps, once again thank you! I'm just keeping the swords around and play with it, so a sharp point doesn't bothers me as long the edge is not sharp:)

Jin
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Li Jin wrote:
Hi

Does that mean the windlass swords, some came with semi sharpen edge that would cut in a manner of
touching the edge with bear hand? Thank you. I always buy from Kult of athena~but I was wondering if there is
other websites that are selling the albion practical swords? Thanks again.

Jin

I don't believe you could actually cut yourself from just handling a Windlass as they arrive from the factory at least none of the ones I've personally hefted. What I meant was that if you intended to use your purchase for sparring then they wouldn't be a great choice. From what I read here most instructors and training groups have a edge thickness requirement for safety reasons. An unsharpened Windlass would have trouble cutting you just from a casual touch but even dull, during sparring things happen and the edges are thin enough to break skin and cut flesh if swung with speed.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > About Windlass Steelcraft swords
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: