Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A New System of Sword Exercise for Infantry 1876 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: A New System of Sword Exercise for Infantry 1876         Reply with quote

Quote:
Journal of Non-lethal Combatives, February 2000
A New System of Sword Exercise for Infantry
By Richard F. Burton
London: Printed and Published by William Clowes and Sons, 13 Charing Cross, 1876

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_burtonnewsword_0200.htm

Interesting website. I often think about saber drills. Ofcorse, i'd need a saber first Wink .

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Vaclav Homan

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good link I get translate it.
There is video with austro-ungarian sabre, man on video is from USA (you can contact) he learnt in Romania by grandson ungarian master.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vP_07ubwGho
I like this video unobtrusive but with more informative as other. There are complete bases for sabre and some technique.
I exercise old ungarian sabre by master and I can see this sabre video is unique.
Know somebody whether are in UK, Frace or USA masters for old sabre (not sport sabre).

There is only one art of fence yet many ways to reach it
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooh, interesting! Happy

EDIT: Ah, I knew I'd heard of the guy before! Sir Richard Francis Burton, famous British adventurer, explorer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, enthologist, linguist, poet, hypnotist, fencer, treasure hunter and diplomat. Discovered the springs of the Nile and the Tanganyika lake, served as a spy during the Krim war, and -disguised as a pilgrim- the first westerner to ever see the holy stone of Mecca. Supposedly mastered 29-35 oriental languages and translated Arabian Nights and the Kama Sutra to English. Learned the art of fencing at about the same time he learned to walk.

Sounds like a really awesome guy, over all. Laughing Out Loud

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not a 19th century fencing expert, but how do Burton's and Alfred Hutton's ideas compare? I see both names bandied about by my Victorian reenactment friends.
“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi michael

I have read a couple of Huttens books I have to say I am not entirely convinced about him I get the impression that while he litters the pages with illustrations from old masters he felt he knew better than the men who wrote them. He was very much a product of his world an educated upper class English gentleman who firmly believed that because he lived in an age of reason and progress he was automatically superior to those who came before. I am not sure of his military record and I do not have any of his books to hand but I do know Burton spent most of his life deep in the boonys and saw a good bit of action one way or other. On the whole I would say Burton probably had the edge on practical experience which at the end of the day beats any amount of theory. But thats just my opinion.

A small aside Burton also owned one of the biggest rifles ever made to be fired from the shoulder a 2 bore which fired a half pound shell. Burton called it baby and if I recall correctly only used it about 20 times for elephant an interesting process Burton was no midget he would brace into the gun two hefty askari would brace in behind and he would fire recoil usually put all three flat on their backs result was one very dead jumbo every time. Burton bought the gun for two reasons hunting jumbo and as a light artillery piece he had Holland and Holland make explosive shell for him and if hostile natives threatened he would lob a few explosive shells into them at range.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A New System of Sword Exercise for Infantry 1876
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic