Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Having a sword engraved. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rex Metcalf

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Having a sword engraved.         Reply with quote

Hello All,

Has anyone here ever had swords engraved? I love my Gaddhjalt and Reeve, but I would like to have them personalized somewhat with some engraving on the pommels and guards. I would think a local jeweler might be able to help but I wanted to consult the forum because frankly I dont know exactly what questions to ask . I do not want the blades engraved only the mild steel guards and pommels of both swords...If anyone has experience in this kind of thing I would welcome advice in my search or the contact info for good crafts folk who would take on the project.

-Rex D. Metcalf
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could try OlliN they have done custom modifications to peoples swords in the past including grinding a fuller:
http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

They also have experience doing engraving and inlays: http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/osd-shopnotes.html

Send them an e-mail explaining what you would like done and ask for a quote on price and if they are willing in doing the work if it's do-able by them.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks. Mr. Thibodeau Cool I had never heard of this company before but I'll give them a shot
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can they do a good job of this even after the sword has been hardened and tempered? It would seem like the optimum time to do it would be while the metal was still annealed, but pretty much finished with grinding and fitting of furniture. If they can, I suppose the only down side might be that deep engraving would expose softer core material hardness.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
Can they do a good job of this even after the sword has been hardened and tempered? It would seem like the optimum time to do it would be while the metal was still annealed, but pretty much finished with grinding and fitting of furniture. If they can, I suppose the only down side might be that deep engraving would expose softer core material hardness.

Good points....but I was only interested in having the mild steel fittings engraved not the blade .
I'm not really sure if its even possible to engrave hardened steel....But I know very little about the
engravers craft.
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are just wanting engraving and not inlay you could also go to menards they sell engravers you cam buy for 8.95-19.95 and work quite well. you can plug them into a wall and write like a pencil ive even used them on tempered blades!
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could you post a link to these tools? I did a websearch and found a Menard site but a search of the site didnt reveal any engraving tools. Thanks
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Menards is like a Home Depot or Lowes, only it is native to Wisconsin. Happy So if you have a similar home improvement store in your area, you could see if they have the tools mentioned above.

Jonathan
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathan Cool Between Lowes, Home Depot and Ace I should turn up something. Thanks to all who took time to answer my questions Happy

Rex D. Metcalf
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Considered buying an Albion with engravements for a close friends wedding; I think she'd like it, but that's a few years off I think.

Not sure what to engrave, though.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a link to the fullering job OlliN did, and note that the sword couldn't be worked on disassembled and that Raymond was very happy with their work: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=ollin

Doing it oneself with a hand engraver is a possibility but a great way to ruin a sword unless one is really gifted with a steady hand and has good drawing skills to be able to design and execute a pattern: It is very much like drawing on/in steel and if one doesn't have drawing skills on paper with pencil one won't be very good working directly on steel.

In any case even with good skills using powertools doing an engraving job on an " expensive " sword is not the best idea as a first project. Eek! Laughing Out Loud I would at least practice a lot on scrap pieces of steel to develop that steady hand or find out if my steady hand was steady enough. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Rex Metcalf

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Here is a link to the fullering job OlliN did, and note that the sword couldn't be worked on disassembled and that Raymond was very happy with their work: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ight=ollin

Doing it oneself with a hand engraver is a possibility but a great way to ruin a sword unless one is really gifted with a steady hand and has good drawing skills to be able to design and execute a pattern: It is very much like drawing on/in steel and if one doesn't have drawing skills on paper with pencil one won't be very good working directly on steel.

In any case even with good skills using powertools doing an engraving job on an " expensive " sword is not the best idea as a first project. Eek! Laughing Out Loud I would at least practice a lot on scrap pieces of steel to develop that steady hand or find out if my steady hand was steady enough. Wink

I agree, Jean, thats why I e-mailed OlliN Big Grin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Having a sword engraved.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic