Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword books Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Garrett L. Hammonds

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Sword books         Reply with quote

Hey, I recently got a sword and I know the best way to learn how to use it is to get someone to teach me, but I was wondering, what books would help me learn the most on how to use a single handed sword with shield? Question ?
Thanks for the help.

FOR KING AND COUNTRY
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Garrett-

Congratulations on your new sword. Sword and shield is pretty tough to learn on your own, I think. For one thing, unless you've got a big mirror, it can be tough to know if you're leaving nice big openings in your guard or not. I'd definitely find a friend for practice. I also know, though others here might shoot me down on this, that joining a group like the SCA can give you all the sword and shield practice you might like. There are other, more formal training programs out there, but those can be pricey for equipment and tuition.

If you'd like to look at a book for starters, though, try "Medieval Swordsmanship" by John Clements. It covers a wide range of techniques but does include a section on just sword and shield, too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Simon E.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would recommend reading the articles on large shield use that can be found in Spada I and II by Steven Hand. You can get them at Chivalry Bookshelf's website, or Amazon.com. You might also want to watch the videos on Viking shield use by this group on youtube. Their interpretation is based on Hans Talhoffer's depiction of very specialized dueling shields.

I think there's some late Renaissance manuals that have some information on shield and single handed sword use, but there are no medieval manuals that discuss it. Much is speculative or based on medieval iconography + testing things out.

Sword and buckler fighting, however, is well documented by MS I.33. There are print translations as well as stuff floating about on the internet about I.33.
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

look at books by guy windsor
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Garrett and a Big Congratulations on your first sword Exclamation Amongst others, I have all the books suggested so far and they are all very good.
At www.chivalrybookshelf.com you can purchase an ideal set of two books specifically for a single hand sword with shield. "Medieval Sword and Shield" The Combat System of Royal Armouries MS I.33 by Paul Wagner and Stephen Hand with the accompanying book (make sure you order the set, if you want both). "The Medieval Art of Swordsmanship" A Facsimile & Translation of Europe's Oldest Personal Combat Treatise, Royal Armouries MS I.33 by Jeffrey L. Forgeng. These two above mentioned books go together! Stephen Hand's teaching in his book from the MS. I.33 is absollutely Brillaint and I can't say enough to encourage you to buy both of these books as they come in a set!
Here is the direct link: Click here: The Chivalry Bookshelf: Arms & Armour, Medieval History, Swordsmanship
On this page you will see that you can either buy Stephen Hand's book alone for $29.95 or you can buy the set of these two books for $79.95 Though it is another $50.00 in my humble opinion I can't stress enough to suggest buying the set for the $79.95, which is what I chose to do and I never considered any alternative.
I've bought some 18 or 19 books and a Long Sword instruction DVD from Chivalry Bookshelf because I am so impressed by their books. I've also got "In Service of the Duke", Armor at the Battle of Wisby (I think is the correct title but not sure) LOL. In fact, I "think" I have every sword instruction book they've published except for the Scottish Sword books, including Brian Price's most recent book "Sword in Two Hands".

If I can be of any further help please feel free to Private Message me. And once again Congratulations on your Sword!

Sincerely!

Bob
Garrett L. Hammonds

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help you guys i'll definetly look into getting those, but I dont know if I can shell out 70 bucks just yet but ill deffinetly get at least one of the set. Big Grin
FOR KING AND COUNTRY
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you read the reviews in our Books Section?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword books
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic