Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Udate Re "Sale Swords" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Udate Re "Sale Swords"         Reply with quote

I just survived a week "down", without an air compressor {machinery will not run without "air"}, and can comment on it being an annoyance, not a disaster..... What a difference having the machine paid off makes........

Right now, I have three machined and heat treated 1566 blades, three 1403 blades, four 1557 blades. I need handles for all of them........

I have three 2104 blades on the floor waiting for heat treat, machining four 1404 blades..............

Material here for the remainder of the 1403 blades. Material on order for the remainder of the 1566's the 1520's and the 1506's.........

Guard stock here for half the blades {the week down meant not getting any of this machined}. Rest of guard stock to be ordered in two weeks........

All handle material here.........

If I can get the handles done, the three 1566s will possible go out in January, if not, then February. The 1557 blades need to be matched up with the guards, and it looks possible for February on these.........

The time without "air", meant that I got the tax work done, and some shop maintenance, as well as some key grinding done...... so time that I would have needed anyways for none "Sale" work, is now done.................

swords are fun
Corey D. Sullivan

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Angus! It's good to hear that things are moving along.

Just a quick question. Are the 1502's from the sale coming along as well? Or was mine the only one? Or did you have one sitting around?

At any rate, I would like to thank you for hosting this sale!

-Cheers!

"He had scantly finyshed his saienge but the one armye espyed the other lord how hastely the souldioures buckled their healmes how quikly the archers bent ther bowes and frushed their feathers how redely the byllmen shoke their bylles and proved their staves redy to appioche and loyne when the terrible trotnpet should sound the blast to victorie or deathe."
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey D. Sullivan wrote:
Hi Angus! It's good to hear that things are moving along.

Just a quick question. Are the 1502's from the sale coming along as well? Or was mine the only one? Or did you have one sitting around?

At any rate, I would like to thank you for hosting this sale!

-Cheers!

Hi Corey

There's actually two 1502s, and I ran two. However, one was lost {I blew it}, and the other one belongs to a gent that jumped on the "Sale" the first day. His sword is actually nearly done.

Since I didn't have any other material for it, at that time {the week of Thanksgiving}, this is going to run with the "longswords". I have shorter material coming in too.......

Actually, truth to tell, the incident that "cost" me this 1502 blade, cost two other blades too. That loss is what got me starting the "Maker's Mark" stuff when I did. I needed to get "my head" squared away again..........in other words, I relaxed too much once the machine contract was done, and blew three blades in an hour's time, and decided to do something else for a few days, rather than screw up an entire week's work too..........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and a weeks delay is really not a big deal when it actually means every project being delayed by one week in a simple one to one ratio: The actual situation seems better than that as you seem to have been able to use the time to do stuff that would have taken some time away from making these swords in any case.

Depending on the cause a delay can have a multiplicator effect on a crowded production cue slowing things down more than a week i.e. a week of down time adding up to a much longer delay.

It seems that the 1403 blades are progressing nicely. Cool Can't help looking forward to getting mine. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, Gus, you must be very frustrated and I guess that mean's Corey's sword is slowed up as well, which is no doubt what has you the most upset, since you strive so hard to make your customers happy. Which by the way, at some point in the future I am going to jump on the "Gus Trim Customers" bandwagon too Exclamation I like your swords a lot, you have great prices and I know first hand from this forum the pride that you take in your work!
Which is no doubt the reason that you stay so busy. I am just wondering what the average (ballpark estimate) wait time is from the time of ordering a sword?
I've got to do an Albion acquisition next, but somewhere not too far off, I look forward to doing business with you as well!

You've always had something nice to say whenever you've replied to a post that I have written.

Wishing you a flow of good luck now! Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Corey D. Sullivan

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

Hi Corey

There's actually two 1502s, and I ran two. However, one was lost {I blew it}, and the other one belongs to a gent that jumped on the "Sale" the first day. His sword is actually nearly done.

Since I didn't have any other material for it, at that time {the week of Thanksgiving}, this is going to run with the "longswords". I have shorter material coming in too.......

Actually, truth to tell, the incident that "cost" me this 1502 blade, cost two other blades too. That loss is what got me starting the "Maker's Mark" stuff when I did. I needed to get "my head" squared away again..........in other words, I relaxed too much once the machine contract was done, and blew three blades in an hour's time, and decided to do something else for a few days, rather than screw up an entire week's work too..........

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. 3 blades in an hour, ouch. So I guess mine'll take a while huh? That's okay, I wasn't expecting it until March anyways. As long as things are moving.

"He had scantly finyshed his saienge but the one armye espyed the other lord how hastely the souldioures buckled their healmes how quikly the archers bent ther bowes and frushed their feathers how redely the byllmen shoke their bylles and proved their staves redy to appioche and loyne when the terrible trotnpet should sound the blast to victorie or deathe."
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Thanks for the update and a weeks delay is really not a big deal when it actually means every project being delayed by one week in a simple one to one ratio: The actual situation seems better than that as you seem to have been able to use the time to do stuff that would have taken some time away from making these swords in any case.

Depending on the cause a delay can have a multiplicator effect on a crowded production cue slowing things down more than a week i.e. a week of down time adding up to a much longer delay.

It seems that the 1403 blades are progressing nicely. Cool Can't help looking forward to getting mine. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Hi Jean

A year ago, this would have been a disaster, and would have had toe "multiplier" effect that you mention. Of course, at that time, I had the $3600/mo machine payment, and would have probably abandoned my schedule for as long as it took to build the cash to replace the compressor, and make the looming and approaching machine payment. The week down would have probably cost 4 to 5 weeks..........

The "Sale" schedule has some "disaster factor" built in, as life just doesn't work smooth, and one has to learn from the past, including mistakes.....

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Wow, Gus, you must be very frustrated and I guess that mean's Corey's sword is slowed up as well, which is no doubt what has you the most upset, since you strive so hard to make your customers happy. Which by the way, at some point in the future I am going to jump on the "Gus Trim Customers" bandwagon too Exclamation I like your swords a lot, you have great prices and I know first hand from this forum the pride that you take in your work!
Which is no doubt the reason that you stay so busy. I am just wondering what the average (ballpark estimate) wait time is from the time of ordering a sword?
I've got to do an Albion acquisition next, but somewhere not too far off, I look forward to doing business with you as well!

You've always had something nice to say whenever you've replied to a post that I have written.

Wishing you a flow of good luck now! Laughing Out Loud

Bob

Thanks Bob

I'm trying as part of the rebuilding process, to get away from backorders and long "waits". That's why I'm working with Christian Fletcher, to build stock, and avoid the customer hassle of having to wait for a sword. There are "waiting lists" at CF's, but at the moment, we're really not doing much in the way of taking orders.......

I appreciate the wonderful thoughts........

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey D. Sullivan wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

Hi Corey

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. 3 blades in an hour, ouch. So I guess mine'll take a while huh? That's okay, I wasn't expecting it until March anyways. As long as things are moving.

Hi Corey

Yes, your sword's back in the schedule.....

Scrap sucks whenever it happens, but there's usually a lesson involved, and I hope I learned it {again}.......

swords are fun
David Martin

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gus. I'm sure what when the 1566 arrives that it will be well worth the wait.
"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Michael Moulton

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jan, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gus. Any update on my 1501? I don't see anybody asking questions on them, so I'm guessing mine is the only one.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Moulton wrote:
Thanks for the update Gus. Any update on my 1501? I don't see anybody asking questions on them, so I'm guessing mine is the only one.

Hi Michael

Yeah, the 1501s {two of them} will run with the 1502s........comes out of pretty much the same stock........

swords are fun
Chris Boatcallie

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't heard any kind of update in a while and was wanting to know if the swords were still on "schedule" or where they are in the production line.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Boatcallie wrote:
Haven't heard any kind of update in a while and was wanting to know if the swords were still on "schedule" or where they are in the production line.

Hi Chris

I guess its been a while, Jan 11 the last time. Its been an "annoying" winter since the new year started. Just 30 miles east of here, the governor has declared another emergency due to weather. Actually, some 15 counties in Washington have had that declaration, record snowfall, or in the case of the passes, avalanches, and road closures due to avalanche work.

Here in the lowlands, not that bad. But it has been a bit of a nuisance, ie its been enough of a nuisance to slow things down a bit. However, the most of the material that was on order is in heat treat now being subannealed. I can pick that up later this week. The batch of blades with the 2104s and 1404s in them has already been hardened and was going into the temper oven today when I was there. Should be able to pick that up later this week too. However, now its three 1404s as I scrapped the fourth one on the machine {yep, my fault}.

I have more material coming in, to replace one of the 1502s, the one scrapped earlier. Also the 1501s.

Today was "pommel day". Making scentstoppers for the "sale" swords that need them, and for a couple backlog swords that need them.

A couple of swords that I had all the components for and didn't need scabbards shipped last week. I have one more in the scabbard queue, and yet another here ready for it.

I need to get makeup material for the 1404. Unfortunately, its a "widebody", and the material for the longswords won't make it for the 1404.

swords are fun
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't forget the 1506s! They need updates too! Happy
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Victor R.

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That "one more in the scabbard queue" wouldn't happen to be a 1520 headed toward Texas, would it? Big Grin
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Don't forget the 1506s! They need updates too! Happy

That's with the material subannealed......

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Victor R. wrote:
That "one more in the scabbard queue" wouldn't happen to be a 1520 headed toward Texas, would it? Big Grin

Also with the material being subannealed.......

swords are fun
Dave Smith

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any chance that includes any FALCHIONS on their way to Texas? Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it been a long long time in coming but I finally have my AT 1403 today.

Here is the story how I finally got it: Since reaching Angus was near impossible and that P.M.(s) here and on another site where never replied to or even read i.e. still marked unread for more than a year I finally reluctantly e-mailed Tinker if he could find out the status of my 1403 .

Tinker got back to me the same day that he had spoken to Gus and that my sword was unfinished but only needed a handle wrap to be finished so he took the project over from Gus about 2 months ago.

I think I can assume that the sword may have been in this almost finished condition for a good long while but finishing it got put off to later for a variety of reasons ....... ( good or bad reasons I don't know, but communication about the project's status was zero ).

Tinker did a good job of taking over the project and doing the handle wrap but I also asked him to make me a disk pommel for it as I had seen other 1403s here on sale that had a disk pommel. I hadn't thought at the time of ordering to request a disk pommel. So now I have the pommel made by Gus, the scent stopper one, and I have the disk pommel made by Tinker.

For those still waiting for their sword you can try asking Tinker to find out the status of your sword and if it's close to being finished like mine you might be able to arrange the same thing with him or at least get some information.

Now Gus has sort of turned uncommunicative curmudgeon on us but he is still a good maker but impossible to deal with as far as customer service is concerned, luckily for him or for anyone wanting his swords, Christian Fletcher is now taking care of any new orders i.e. the new business model. Unfortunately there are some customers remaining from the old business model.

I can give Gus a lot of slack because of the health problem, mild stroke, he had a while back as well as challenges due to the bad economy, but it's still really bad customer service to not at least give updates to his customers ....... Exclamation Question

Anyway, I finally got my sword and the above is to give some hope to others who still haven't gotten their sword and my best advice on how to get it or some information about it by communicating with Tinker.
http://tinkerswords.com/

Note: I asked Tinker if it was O.K. for people to contact him before posting this.

If some of you are members on SFI please let them know this information or link this post/topic on the SFI site on their topic on this subject: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...mp;page=11

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Udate Re "Sale Swords"
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: