Real two-handed viking swords?
I was over at Albion's website reading about the Caithness, when I noticed this interesting little parenthesis:

Quote:
In the National Museum in Kopenhagen there are two unique ceremonial two handed swords mounted with hilts of Viking style, although made in the 16th C.

My question now is: does anyone have, or know where one might find, some picture of these swords?

Because, seriously, this is have to see!
Hej Anders,

First of all, these swords are not truly "real two handed viking swords". They are from the 16th C.
They are the result of a romantic historicism, a longing back to "good old days" in the 16th C. This is something you see repeated over and over again in almost all time periods, not just our own.

They are ceremonial swords: some kind of badge of rank or symbol of authority.

Two snapshots I took a few years back in the National Museum of Denmark in Kopenhagen:

Attachment: 40.76 KB
P1030033.jpg

Attachment: 40.69 KB
P1030034.jpg

Two-Handed Viking swords
Wow Peter!

Those are some really cool looking swords! I realize they are just parade pieces, but I wonder how they would handle in battle? Also, do you suppose the hilts are bronze, or gilded steel? Thanks for posting those pics anyway! Awesome!
For what I can remember, the 16th century was very much a time of "Good Olde Days". There are several pieces of both arms and armour that are reminiscent of Roman work, as well as Norse. One of the major ones I can remember is a black musculata, with a cutout for the 16th century saddle (worn by some saint in a painting, cant remember which).
Wow. That's awesome. And quite a bit bizarre. Seems like the whole "viking bastard sword" thing goes back further then I thought! :lol:

Thanks a lot, Peter! :)

Peter Johnsson wrote:

First of all, these swords are not truly "real two handed viking swords". They are from the 16th C.
They are the result of a romantic historicism, a longing back to "good old days" in the 16th C. This is something you see repeated over and over again in almost all time periods, not just our own.

They are ceremonial swords: some kind of badge of rank or symbol of authority.

Yeah, I kinda figured from the quote. Still, they are historical, in a certain sense. ;)

Honestly, I just think it's fun they exist at all.
Heh. The second one actually looks vaguely Asian to me. :)
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

It is kind of an odd design, isn't it? I wonder just how big liberties they took with it.
Anders Backlund wrote:
Mikko Kuusirati wrote:

It is kind of an odd design, isn't it? I wonder just how big liberties they took with it.

Based on just that photo, I'd say HUMONGOUS. The blade has a fuller, the guard and pommel seem to be very loosely inspired by a random selection of different Viking hilts, and that's about it for historical accuracy as far as I can tell (it's possible the decoration is remotely authentic, too, couldn't say without a closer look). :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: