Sword display
Just wanted to post a picture of the sword display I built for my Albion Vinland. I made it large enough so I can mount a Valkyrja and Huskarl on it when I get them.

Attachment: 109.65 KB
[ Download ]
Sword display
Wow, Nick!

That's beautiful! I can't wait to see the other Albions mounted in place. :D
Very nice! I wish I had that sort of woodworking skill. I can cut and nail boards together, but that sort of detailing is beyond me! :)
Very nice on it's own merits even if no sword was on it: Should be very nice with all the swords.
This is absolutely gorgeous! Wow. I also wish I had woodworking skills. :cool:
Wow. Very well done. What kind of wood and finish did you use?
Much more complex than mine. It's very nice and looks like it has enough visual weight to hold 2 swords and a dagger.
Sword Display
Thanks Guys
Most of the wood is pine with the dragons in oak. The finish is MinWax poly with a slight tint called Honey Maple. When I get the other two swords the Valkyrja will go in the center. The Vinland and Huskarl about six inches below the dragons with the tips of the blades near the center. They will hange at a slight angle not like the center sword.
When I find a Gjermundbu helm that I like I will mount it on the wall above the display.
Very nice display. If you don't mind my asking, it it meant to mount on the wall or is it free standing?
Jonathon,
It can be either free standing or wall mounted as long as the base is still on the froor. I have it free standing but up against the wall.
That is a really nice looking piece of work! For those interested, I made a case for my Knight last year - it is made of pine and stained with mahogany Brewax. The blade slips into a slot in the bottom horizontal and the top horizontal swings closed and locks to keep little hands safe. The sword only touches the wood at two points on the guard to minimize exposure to the wood acids, etc. plus I always keep the steel covered in Ballistol in storage.

Attachment: 67.26 KB
Picture 061 lo res.JPG

Jody,
That looks great. I prefer darker woods and your display aligns with my tastes. I am interested in the top finial. What is it, and where did you get it?
Jared Smith wrote:
Jody,
That looks great. I prefer darker woods and your display aligns with my tastes. I am interested in the top finial. What is it, and where did you get it?

Hi Jared - good eye - thats an "applique" from Lee Valley in cherry wood, and it cost about $10. Here's the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c...1&ap=1

I'm not sure if you live in Canada or the US - I think this might just be a Canadian store but their website says they ship across North America.

Good luck! Jody.
Nice display Jody. I have several more swords to build displays for and I like to see other builders ideas.

Heres pictures of some of my other swords on display in my house. I didn't build the walls the swords hang on but I did do the beams, stones and tile work around them.

Attachment: 84.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 85.82 KB
[ Download ]
Hey Nick - awesome feature wall! I really like your use of wood and stone - its a nice tying together of history and local materials. And your sword collection is pretty impressive, especially with your new acquisition(s) ... thanks for the inspiration !

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: