Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanwei Vs Windlass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ant Mercer

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Hanwei Vs Windlass         Reply with quote

Hi,

It says it all in the title really! I'm a Newbie from the UK with very few quality items in my collection, and fed up with having to resort to CAS for inexpensive swords!

Now, I've just found a retailer over here who supplies Windlass and was wondering how the two brands compare? Obviously neither is of the highest quality, but are they generally on a par with one another?

I currently have a couple of Del Tins, ATs, a Paul Binns and a Mark Vickers, as well as, like I said, lots of CAS Hanwei! So, very generally speaking, which would people prefer: Hanwei or Windlass?

Many thanks,

Ant
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bang for the buck (quid?) for me is Windlass. Good construction and great price. I have several pieces as well as Del Tin.
Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Christopher Gregg

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Windlass vs. Hanwei         Reply with quote

Greetings Ant!

I suppose it would depend on the type of sword, and what you were going to use it for. I have a couple of Windlass pieces in my collection (which is mostly Del Tin, A & A, Mad Piper, one Albion and one Jake Powning), but I can't say that I have had much experience with Hanwei. I have handled one or two of their rapiers, and they seem to compare favorably to any Windlass I've seen, with perhaps a more historical look than most. I would probably not do live steel with a Hanwei (except the "practical" line), but probably would with a Windlass. Many say that Windlass' products are pretty tough, but even so, I would rather use Hanwei's Practical series or an A & A or Albion training sword if I were to go live steel.

So in the end, if you are just looking for a decent, relatively inexpensive replica, it all boils down to personal taste. Big Grin

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would suggest hanging loose until we see the new Tinker inspired longswords hit the market from CAS/Hanwei and the upcoming Valiant Armory line designed by Christian Fletcher. If those products are what I hope they will be, they will be better than the current Windlass/Hanwei lineups.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jan, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Ant, could you direct me to the retailer who imports Windlass stuff into the UK? I have some swords on a wish list that I might need to order!

cheers,

Colin

P.S. I don't suppose you train anywhere in leeds?

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Ant Mercer

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses - they were all very useful!

Chris - As I don't do WMA, the swords won't be involved in much contact apart from the odd cutting session. That being said, I'm trying to stear my collection away from poorly-constructed display pieces with the emphasis being on performance. The swords I'm specifically interested in are: Hanwei Pappenheimer Rapier Vs Windlass Blackened Rapier; and the Hanwei Edward III Vs Windlass Early Spanish Sword (Both type XVIII). Although I can find the Hanwei swords for cheaper, reviews on this (rather exellent) site list the Hanwei rapier as very whippy and not historical in its handling -something that really puts me off.

Mike - Yep, I'm interested in the new lines too - sounds like they'll really bump up the quality of swords the budget collector will be able to afford. I'm especially interested in the Hanwei/Tinker effort as this would be more easily available to me over here in the UK. Unfortunately sourcing swords from other manufacturers here in the UK is rather tricky, as few companies supply swords easily found in the States: AT/CF, Albion, A&A, etc, even Windlass and Del Tin can only be rarely found on auction sites if at all, and although I could import them, to me the customs fees and tax really make me think twice. It's a shame really!

Gary - 'quids' is right - nice to see other countries are getting familiar with our vernacular! You'll be walking on the pavement and using aluminium foil before you know it!

Nathan- Sorry, I thought this would qualify as discussion of reproduction arms - my bad!

Colin - Hi, yep sure the link is:

www.knightsgoneby.co.uk

They also do the odd Del Tin, if you're interested in any of his things? I live in Leeds, and although don't train, am considering starting at the Royal Armouries sometime this year: their curriculum looks very exciting!

Cheers all,

Ant
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Ant,

Great, thanks for the website! I'm not really into Del Tins as I believe I can get better value for money elsewhere, although his range does have a few models in production that you don't often see elsewhere.

I'm a member of the group that trains at the Royal Armouries (both under the EHCG and KdF) and although I am a bit biased, it is a thoroughly enjoyable and friendly club. Most importantly, I've got confidence in the people who teach there. As far as I know, you get the first two lessons free, so you can get an idea of what we do, so come along anytime. PM me if you want training times plus the chapter master's email :-)

Lastly, Albion is quite easily available through the Albion Europe website. I've had one order through them and nothing could have been easier, so don't discount them.

cheers,

Colin

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have 4 Hanwei and 2 Windlass swords in my collection.....happy with what I have. As far as comparing them...

I think it's just a matter of the intended use.

Another maker over there you should have a look at is Armour Class of Scotland.

Cheers,

Bill

ps about the "vernacular"...my bride of 19 yrs is from Newmarket (horse-racing capital)
so i'm quite versed on the slang too.

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Last edited by William Goodwin on Thu 17 Jan, 2008 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ant Mercer wrote:
Thanks for all your responses - they were all very useful!

Gary - 'quids' is right - nice to see other countries are getting familiar with our vernacular! You'll be walking on the pavement and using aluminium foil before you know it!

Ant

Well that takes the biscuit! And I've never even been to the Merry Ole' in my life. Most people would think me daft as a brush anyway.
We are not that different you know. We do play skittles over here though we are a bit biffer . Were you to come over here all you'd have to do is learn to drink a pint of bad larger and Bob's your Uncle.
We're not all Cowboys over here. It's chips with everything.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Ant Mercer

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well guys, thanks for all your friendly responses! I think I'm going to give Windlass a bash - what could it hurt?

Bill - Hello to a Brit by association! The Armour Class website is on my Favourites list, and I do intend to order something from them in the near future - I'm drawn to one of their hangers and their basket hilts are gorgeous! At the minute I'm really after something low-budget to fill the gap whilst I'm waiting for a couple of custom projects to be delivered (Smallsword by Paul Macdonald @ Macdonald Armouries of Scotland, and a Scramasax by Nick Johnson at Knivesbynick) - don't you just hate the waiting game?!

Gary - Wow - slang even I wasn't aware of: you're obviously a true Brit at heart! Now excuse me while I go down the apple and pairs and mash meself a cup o' tea!

Colin - It's a small world isn't it? Surprisingly, what got me thinking about starting at the Armouries is that there was a link to the chapter master's profile on that website I sent you! I will indeed be PMing you - the more I think about it , the more I want to give it a go.
An Albion from their European base is certainly on the cards, but in a totally different league to what I usually budget for. Although I do have my eye on a Kingmaker, it's going to take a couple of months of saving...

Thanks again for all your help guys, now I'll go back to lurking! Big Grin

Cheers,

Ant

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanwei Vs Windlass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic