Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First look at Generation2 Knightly Riding Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: First look at Generation2 Knightly Riding Sword         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis at Imperial Weapons is working on a new Knightly Riding Sword. He was kind enough to send the first prototype to Adam Sharp and myself for an early look and testing, and to provide input for changes to the production version. We put together a joint review and made suggestions for changes to the production version. It is published to the Sword Buyer's Guide Forum.

I thought some folks here might like to take a look. Here's a link to the review in case anyone would like to see what we had to say.

I would like to thank Clyde for being responsive to the sword buying community's desires by allowing normal consumers like us to provide input and have an impact on future production swords.

Thanks,
Mike
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work, Mike! It's nice to see this kind of effort posted.

What's the weight on that sword? I didn't see it mentioned.

Moved to off-topic since this is a topic about an article and a link to that article rather than a discussion of historical arms and armour.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Nathan. I appreciate your kind words.

I didn't weigh the sword when I had it, since it's going to change considerably before it goes into production. If I guessed, I would say between 1lb, 15 ozs and 2 lbs, 3 ozs. But those are just guesses. My take is that the production version will weigh just under 2 lbs.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Harris wrote:
Thank you, Nathan. I appreciate your kind words.

I didn't weigh the sword when I had it, since it's going to change considerably before it goes into production. If I guessed, I would say between 1lb, 15 ozs and 2 lbs, 3 ozs. But those are just guesses. My take is that the production version will weigh just under 2 lbs.

Neat work Mike, glad to see you getting the early word out.

Keep us posted please!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. But I must say that at least half of this was Adam Sharp. He really got things rolling and did most of the grunt work of getting the co-review put together. I'm just the luck guy with the still and video cameras. Big Grin
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes you both did a great job on the review.
Thanks,

Just wondering, any thoughts here?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just skimmed the review so far, but I was surprised to read that the reviewer considered Albion's Prince and Knigmaker to be riding swords. They're both of battle sword length and heft in my opinion.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the original sword, from the Christie's sale catalogue of Howard Curtis's collection (this sword was in Oakeshott's collection, the Douglas Ash's, the Howard Curtis's, now?).

Attachment: 13.88 KB
CurtisRidingSword.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting review, now that I've had a chance to read through it. What I miss in it are straight-on overall and hilt shots. Angled shots make it hard to tell some of the proportions. The hilt seems a bit off from the original in shape and maybe size, but without a straight-on shot it's hard to know.
Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Interesting review, now that I've had a chance to read through it. What I miss in it are straight-on overall and hilt shots. Angled shots make it hard to tell some of the proportions. The hilt seems a bit off from the original in shape and maybe size, but without a straight-on shot it's hard to know.

I agree that angled shots can be hard to read as far as proportions are concerned.

The handle does look fairly long to me and maybe the Generation 2 version isn't that far off in size in comparison: Maybe half an inch too long instead of and inch as suggested. Personally I would rather have the handle half an inch shorter than half an inch too long.

I really like this one and I will seriously consider buying one when Kult of Athena has one in stock.
I might leave it as sold or do a little custom work on the handle to hide the steel spacer if it's still there under a new wrap.

Definitely not a deal breaker if the blade and guard shape is close to the original.

As to size: This one crosses over the line of large dagger to short SHORT sword and is very appealing as a backup weapon to a polearm if one wants to avoid carrying too long a sword that might get in the way or as a second sword for close in work in a shield wall or close melee.

Would be a good companion to my Dordogne. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Handle is a bit thick for my hands I'm afraid. Otherwise, looks great.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Handle is a bit thick for my hands I'm afraid. Otherwise, looks great.

M.

If there is enough " meat " on the wood core one could remove the leather covering and slim down the handle a bit and recover it: Basically what I did to my Dordogne as well as adding a riser.

Still, it all depends on being willing to turn the purchase into a home project and being sure that one will be capable of ending up with a good result.

Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Chad,
Here is the link to see the straight on shot.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=121290#121290
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde, if you are taking suggestion (which I think is a great idea BTW), may I suggest going with a type I pommel as per the original. I think by doing this it would allow you to make the pommel smaller in diameter, but still have anough mass to balance out the blade.
Thanks,
Dan
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:
Chad,
Here is the link to see the straight on shot.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=121290#121290

Thanks! In putting the two side by side, it's obvious there are some differences:

The blade looks to be about the same width as the one in my larger pic of the original (it should be proportionally smaller). Ditto the grip length. The thickness, width, and curvature of the guard are also different, though the perspective could be skewed by the size of the grip and blade.

Happy

ChadA

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If those are to scale then...I don't think I like the reproduction at all.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

The pictures are not at the same scale. But looking at two pictures of different scales, you shouldn't see a grip length and blade width match... Happy

Happy

ChadA

Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

The pictures are not at the same scale. But looking at two pictures of different scales, you shouldn't see a grip length and blade width match... Happy

Yes this was the first and all we had was the picture, and blade length, not a scaled drawing.

In the information on the review from Mike and Adam we are going to shorten the handle length by 1" and also slim the handle down.
Also the blade width will be cut some as well, which will make this little sword even quicker and faster.

Thanks,
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jan, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The modifications should make it very appealing and be closer in proportions to the original.

Comparing the two in the pic the prototype looks/feels like a huge dagger while the original looks/feels like a small compact short sword: It really is all because of very subtle differences in handle, blade width, blade length, handle thickness.

There is also the issue of wanting to copy as closely as possible the proportions/size of the original or making a sword based on the original but with different but still good looking proportion on it's own merits i.e. A design decision, but either choice could work. Wink

Since the original is so harmonious and attractive in proportions I would choose duplicating it as closely as possible.

Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The modifications should make it very appealing and be closer in proportions to the original.

Comparing the two in the pic the prototype looks/feels like a huge dagger while the original looks/feels like a small compact short sword: It really is all because of very subtle differences in handle, blade width, blade length, handle thickness.

There is also the issue of wanting to copy as closely as possible the proportions/size of the original or making a sword based on the original but with different but still good looking proportion on it's own merits i.e. A design decision, but either choice could work. Wink

Since the original is so harmonious and attractive in proportions I would choose duplicating it as closely as possible.

Thank you as well Mr. John for your critique and feedback on this sword.

As soon as the first shipment comes in with the changes I will re-take pics and measurements and post them in the Manufacturers section.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > First look at Generation2 Knightly Riding Sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: