Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > moving to japan and want to continue training Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
F. Carl Holz

Location: someplace out on the water (and probably not able to access my PM)
Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: moving to japan and want to continue training         Reply with quote

Hey,

I will be moving Japan later this year for my job. This isn't a bad thing but I practice wma and I have been lead to believe that, once there, I can kiss the idea of keeping a european sword goodbye. Of course I don't have a real one yet, but I was still hoping to continue training with my SLOs (sword like objects). Given, I was told that these very limited too.

So, my questions run:

Are they really that stringent over/ what are their rules?

And,

What can I hope to train with?

I had considered using modified shinai, but also happened across the realistic sparring weapons. I was told wasters were out.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: moving to japan and want to continue training         Reply with quote

You may want to contact Avalon group if you want to train European style over there. Happy Yup, they also have RSW in their training scheme.

http://www.avalonjp.org

Jay Noyes will be able to better answer you about how stringent it is over there.

F. Carl Holz wrote:
Hey,

I will be moving Japan later this year for my job. This isn't a bad thing but I practice wma and I have been lead to believe that, once there, I can kiss the idea of keeping a european sword goodbye. Of course I don't have a real one yet, but I was still hoping to continue training with my SLOs (sword like objects). Given, I was told that these very limited too.

So, my questions run:

Are they really that stringent over/ what are their rules?

And,

What can I hope to train with?

I had considered using modified shinai, but also happened across the realistic sparring weapons. I was told wasters were out.

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Ben C.

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Japan is extremely strict when it comes to ownership of weapons. It is illegal to carry any knife longer than 15cm or has a blade longer than 6cm. All knives within those restrictions must be concealed when being carried and must not be easily accessible. Swords and other bladed weapons are strongly prohibited under this law.

I think it is possible to own historic weapons for collecting purposes but as far as I know you need both a special collectors license and each item would have to be registered and approved by the government. That is no where near as easy as it sounds... There training tools like shinai and bokken are perfectly legal, so padded and wooden training swords should also be ok. Wall hangers are also fine but only the type that are purely decorative and in no way can be used as weapons or for training. I'd really advise staying away from these as a friend of mine (who has no idea about martial arts) bought one only to have it snap and go through a paper door while he was foolishly swinging it in his apartment.... Razz I have seen a number of stores selling what appear to be legitimately constructed blades (for anywhere from 50,000 to 300,000 yen) but it does seem that you need a license to purchase them.
F. Carl Holz

Location: someplace out on the water (and probably not able to access my PM)
Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ah, so wasters are legal? That is good news. :P though I may go for one or two of those RSWs anyways

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > moving to japan and want to continue training
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic