Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Dec 31: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
90%
 90%  [ 147 ]
Very Good
7%
 7%  [ 12 ]
Good
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 162

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Dec 31: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Western Martial Arts Workshop 2007

An article by Pamela Muir

Albion Armorers Munich Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy and Jason Elrod

Albion Armorers Earl Sword

A hands-on review by Joseph Fults

Albion Armorers Kingmaker Sword

A hands-on review by Mark Mattimore

Albion Kingmaker Sword

Added to Steve's collection

Albion Munich Sword

Added to Bill's collection

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

Enjoy this bonus update while guzzlin' down the Champagne tonight!

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great update folks.....nice way to round out the year..indeed.....

Happy New Year to all......

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice close of year surprise with all the Albion reviews and the excellent overview of the WMAW event by Pamela.

One thing that surprised me is the slimness and length of the Munich sword grip is almost the same as the grip on my Christian Fletcher/Angus Trims 1435: What is odd is that with my sword the grip/pommel/guard assembly just doesn't look that long, but when measured the numbers as very close ? ( Note: 9" grip length AT 1435 versus 9 7/8" Munich. So the Munich is a little longer ).

The difference I think in visual impression is due I think to the fact that my sword's blade is 2 1/3" wide at the guard and this just makes the grip look MUCH shorter and smaller than the Munich's.

So I guess the handle of my sword gives me the same leverage advantages of the Munich's handle everything else being equal ! ( Which it isn't Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

Just goes to show that if one was just reading sword statistics instead of seeing them or handling them one can get a very different impression about the aesthetics or personal appeal one sword might have next to the other. One would need a side by side comparison to actually believe that the grips are so close in size when they look so different in isolation.

For me very small differences in shape and proportion make a great deal of difference in picking which I like best or even if I like both equally seeing them as very different objects. ( Don't know if I'm expressing this clearly or not ? Maybe it's similar to the way one can tell the difference between identical twins when one knows them well i.e. after a while one wonders how anyone can confuse the two different persons ! )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice reviews, but the Earl doesn't really weigh 4 pounds, does it? The stats on Albion's homepage have it listed at 3 pounds 5 ounces, and that would be a lot of deviation...
www.addisondelisle.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Very nice reviews, but the Earl doesn't really weigh 4 pounds, does it? The stats on Albion's homepage have it listed at 3 pounds 5 ounces, and that would be a lot of deviation...

That's a typo. It should be: 3 pounds 4 ounces.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another great set of reviews and articles--thank you! I hope to be at DeKoven for the next WMAW in 2009(?). My great grandfather attended college there back when it was Racine College, so it would be fun to return there as a student of sorts. I am happy it is such a well-liked place.

Jonathan
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always look forward to these reviews, especially when Nathan shows off his mad photography skills, such as the Munich review...
"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I always look forward to these reviews, especially when Nathan shows off his mad photography skills, such as the Munich review...

Although Nathan has done a great deal of high-quality photography for this site, usually the review photos are provided by the reviewer. In this case Bill Grandy took those lovely Munich pics (photo credit is listed at the end of the review). Happy myArmoury has a sword photography guide to aid reviewers and other contributors. This helps keep our look consistent and polished.

On a related note, this is a great collection of new content to ring in the new year; some of my favorite Albion models are featured and I enjoyed the WMAW article.

Cheers,
-Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
myArmoury has a sword photography guide to aid reviewers and other contributors. This helps keep our look consistent and polished.

The photo guide is one of many tools we make available to those desiring to submit content to myArmoury. People are sometimes intimidated by our high standards for photos or the consistency/depth of our reviews, but we've spent a good deal of time creating tools, guides, and templates just for our Authors and Contributors Usergroup in order to make the process easy and smooth for everyone. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
In this case Bill Grandy took those lovely Munich pics (photo credit is listed at the end of the review). Happy myArmoury has a sword photography guide to aid reviewers and other contributors.

And to be totally fair, my sword photo-skills would be terrible if it weren't for Nathan's tutorial and guidance. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of us just like to use the photos as an excuse to be social. Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Dec 31: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic