myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Some recent pieces Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Some recent pieces         Reply with quote

These are some pieces that have been in various stages of completion for awhile and are finally finished or very close. Life's dramas kept me out of my shop for a few months and I spent another couple fixing up equipment and re-tooling, so finishing these up helped me get back into focus.
The one at the bottom is a little hard to define, it combines elements of several different styles of knife from different regions and time periods. The blade is 1075, steel fittings and walnut grip, 14 -1/4" overall..
In the middle is a very plain rondel dagger, 5160 blade, steel fittings and a turned cocobolo grip, 15-3/4" overall. My maker's stamp wasn't struck deep enough on this blade and just began to disappear in the final grinding so I gave it a less refined finish.
At the top is a dagger which is loosely based on an original in the Wallace Collection, shown on p. 150 of "Arms & Armor of the Medieval Knight", described as a Swiss or German quillon dagger, c1530. The blade is 5160, steel fittings and Madagascar rosewood grip,19" overall. This one is still unpolished and lacks the permanent assembly. The pommel is problematic to get a good polish on and I may leave the fittings with a filed finish or antique them.
The blades are hand-forged, given a simple oil-quench heat treat and oven-temepered. I apologize for the picture quality, the blade at the top appears to be recurved in the pic but it's actually pretty straight...

Attachment: 57.13 KB
[ Download ]
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All three are looking very nice, and distinctly different with seductive good traits in each one. I am sure you will sell those pretty quick. Nice job.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love seeing three different styles of daggers like this. They all look great Happy
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They look great Justin - lovely work, as usual.
Marc Blaydoe

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Dirk?         Reply with quote

I would call the bottom dagger a dirk. It looks like a variation on the ballock and I have seen similar daggars classified as dirks elsewhere. At any rate, I likie!
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments, thank you guys! The dagger at the bottom has elements in common with ballock daggers and also perhaps with the elusive "whinger", as well as some styles of quillon dagger. It also reminds me of a "rifleman's bowie" or other 18th/19th century American knives. It wasn't intended to represent anything in particular but is obviously influenced by historical styles and may fall loosely into a number of regions or time periods. Again, I appreciate the comments.
Chris Goerner

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Justin. I particularly like the German quillon dagger. Will any of these pieces be offered up for sale, or did you make them to keep?

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic work, Justin! The bottom one is very nice, the middle one is even nicer, and the top one is gorgeous! You've got some serious talent!

Chris Goerner wrote:
Will any of these pieces be offered up for sale, or did you make them to keep?

I'd like to second that question. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:
I appreciate the comments, thank you guys! The dagger at the bottom has elements in common with ballock daggers and also perhaps with the elusive "whinger", as well as some styles of quillon dagger. It also reminds me of a "rifleman's bowie" or other 18th/19th century American knives. It wasn't intended to represent anything in particular but is obviously influenced by historical styles and may fall loosely into a number of regions or time periods. Again, I appreciate the comments.

Nice work. Any chance you'll be putting together a "whinger" as you call them any time soon. I've a particular fondness for those designs.
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More thanks for the kind words. The two on the bottom are availible but I have a possible buyer for one. The long quillon dagger at the top I haven't decided what to do with when it is finished. I would like to play with the basic design some more and might keep it to use as a visual reference. I would love to get better pics/info on the original or maybe even see it in person one day (really dreaming here) and try to do a passable copy, you can only get so much from one picture. At any rate I plan to make similar pieces for sale in the future.
Interested parties can PM me about the availible ones, I have some better-quality pics of these two.
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: new pieces         Reply with quote

Justin,

I'll second that the bottom knife is a "dirk". It looks like the knife from Wallace's book, and I believe it is considered to be a Scottish lowland "ball quillon" dirk. Glen McClain has been making reproductions of this style for years, and Chris Goerner had one up for sale very recently (that I think just sold Sad ) which was very nice. I think it was a tangent develpment of the ballock knife, which in the Highlands evolved into the Scottish dirk as we know it, but elsewhere took on a more dagger-like or knife-like form. Just my guesswork here, but it seems to follow logically. In any case, your work is absolutely beautiful! Happy

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Justin King
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To clarify, the rondel dagger is sold, the small quillon dagger is availible and is priced to sell, and I can be contacted about making a piece similar to the long quillon dagger. This particular piece may become availible in the near future, I will let it be known here if/when it is.
Thanks again for everyone's comments.
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The rondel dagger is now in my possession. I am not qualified to review it (since I don't have any other rondel daggers to compare it to), but I will say this; very sharp, very pointed, very wicked. I love it. Now I just need a scabbard......
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Some recent pieces
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic