Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion's new Vikings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Albion's new Vikings         Reply with quote

I was looking at (okay, rather drooling over) the new Gotland viking sword on the Albion website, and I noticed that in the picture of the blade with the guard and pommel (no grip), the blade appears (at least to me) to have twin fullers. Not that this is a problem--in fact I think it would look really nice, but I'm just curious. It also looked similar in the other two models (Vinland and Clontarf).

Here's the picture, from the Albion website.

Attachment: 21.88 KB
type-z-2.jpg

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, you're right! That photo does make it hard to make out what's going on with the blade.

Best solution might be just to ask the folks at Albion, so I'll move this topic to the "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum and use the little "Email a friend" feature to notify them of the post..

I'm really curious now, too.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Hey, you're right! That photo does make it hard to make out what's going on with the blade.

Best solution might be just to ask the folks at Albion, so I'll move this topic to the "Makers and Manufacturers Talk" forum and use the little "Email a friend" feature to notify them of the post..

I'm really curious now, too.

One mystery solved: The aluminum plug in the hilt wax photos has only the outside profile -- we don't put a fuller in the plugs because you would not be able to get the wax or casting on/off the plug/blade otherwise.

The exact features of the blade will have to remain a mystery until we start posting photos of finished blades shortly and that should answer most questions.

Thanks!

Howy
Albion
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Who could have ever guessed that I would have a question about this line. *G*
Have you guys worked out any kind of treatment for swords like the Clontarf and the Vinland
to make the knotwork and floral designs stand out? I don't figure that Niello is an option but
I did know if a substitution might be in the works. The wire detailing between the lobes will be cast
into the pommels right? Finally, will the upper guard and pommel caps be cast as one piece or as two?

I'm so happy to see Albion pushing the bar with these viking swords. Viking sword decoration isn't easy
and most people elect to skip it.

Thanks
Shane
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
Who could have ever guessed that I would have a question about this line. *G*
Have you guys worked out any kind of treatment for swords like the Clontarf and the Vinland
to make the knotwork and floral designs stand out? I don't figure that Niello is an option but
I did know if a substitution might be in the works. The wire detailing between the lobes will be cast
into the pommels right? Finally, will the upper guard and pommel caps be cast as one piece or as two?

I'm so happy to see Albion pushing the bar with these viking swords. Viking sword decoration isn't easy
and most people elect to skip it.

Thanks
Shane

Hey Shane!

We want to start out doing a good basic line of accurate Viking swords, but in the (hopefully near) future, we will be both offering upgraded versions of these same hilts (with nielo, real twisted wire and other accents) and then a higher-end series of new designs with insets and other more intense additions (precious metals, etc.). Some of them will have two-part pommels and some won't, just as on originals.

Peter, Eric, Leif and Jason have some pretty wild ones up their sleeves, yet.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Scott Byler

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

We want to start out doing a good basic line of accurate Viking swords, but in the (hopefully near) future, we will be both offering upgraded versions of these same hilts (with nielo, real twisted wire and other accents) and then a higher-end series of new designs with insets and other more intense additions (precious metals, etc.). Some of them will have two-part pommels and some won't, just as on originals.

Peter, Eric, Leif and Jason have some pretty wild ones up their sleeves, yet.

Howy, you are an evil man, my friend.... Talking dirty like that when I have no money... Wink Glad to see that the Viking swords are going to be getting into the less seen type work. I'd love to own some of those, as I'm a big fan of the metal work that went into those types...
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there any chance that the upgraded swords could be offered with pattern welded blades?
Constant and true.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
Is there any chance that the upgraded swords could be offered with pattern welded blades?

Hey Jay,

Because of the steel bar stock size requirements of machine, pattern-welded machined blades are very unlikely (think of the price tag on a bar of PW which is 40"x 4"x 1/4"). Plus, the great difficulty in getting the twisted core to line up just right every time.

We are contemplating a series of forged Pattern-welded blades by myself, Rick Barrett, and possibly Peter if he is interested with our castings. Nothing is set with this yet, and it is just a whimsical idea right now.

Jason Dingledine
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everything sounds very good, I'm looking forward to seeing the line develope.

Thanks
Shane
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 06 Sep, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:

This line from Albion look lovely, but I suspect that when they get around to pattern welded blades you'll effectively be paying custom prices because of all the extra work. It will be interesting to see how they compare with the TEMPL/Barta examples in this respect (although for you US residents the Albions' being 'home made' is going to be an additional advantage).
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, after going back and forth between this and the A & A English longsword, I have signed up for a Gotland. (I have plenty of longswords, but this will be my first Viking sword) Looking forward to October.

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Mon 08 Sep, 2003 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Well, after going back and forth between this and the A & A English longsword, I have signed up for a Gotland. (I have plenty of longswords, but this will be my firtst Viking sword) Looking forward to October.

Hey Roger,

The Gotland is the one on my list as well, and if I'm not mistaken, it might be the most popular one of the four right now (considering the pre-orders).

I hope you like her as much when you get her.

Jason Dingledine
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
Well, after going back and forth between this and the A & A English longsword, I have signed up for a Gotland. (I have plenty of longswords, but this will be my firtst Viking sword) Looking forward to October.

Hey Roger,

The Gotland is the one on my list as well, and if I'm not mistaken, it might be the most popular one of the four right now (considering the pre-orders).

Yes, Mike said that, so far, the Gotland was the most popular of the 4 Viking swords when I ordered it a few days ago.

I picked the Gotland because:

I like the profile taper on the blade
I prefer a downturned guard.
I like the way the cross and the pommel curve away from the hand. I think it will make for a more comfortable fit.
I think it looks great, though it's too bad that it doesn't have as much carving on the cross guard as do the Vinland and the Clontarf.

From the representaion models on the website, you can't get an absolute idea of what these new swords will look like. Actually they look a little odd and bent. But I trust that Albion will come up with a great finished product.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I prefer the Vinland myself. In my mind that's the classic viking design.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Hey Roger,

Mr Dingledine
I like the look of that one the best, but is there a knack to holding it comfortably (I'm guessing you may have handled a prototype or mock-up)? The upper guard/pommel looks quite wide and pointy, as though it might give your wrist a bit of a bite sometimes.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:

Mr Dingledine
I like the look of that one the best, but is there a knack to holding it comfortably (I'm guessing you may have handled a prototype or mock-up)? The upper guard/pommel looks quite wide and pointy, as though it might give your wrist a bit of a bite sometimes.

Hi Geoff,

Please just call me Jason, I'm not old enough yet to be a "Mister" (only in mid 20's).

The main trick to let the pommel slip past your wrist and not hold the sword in a "hammer" type grip. At first this may feel weak, like you will lose your grip, but it will deliver a very powerful slashing and slicing cut to the target I'll see if I can get a picture of me cutting with a Hastings from the time the cutting video was taken. I might have to call on Mac to host it for me though, since I don't have any personal webspace.

Jason Dingledine

Last edited by Jason Dingledine on Tue 09 Sep, 2003 1:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:
[

Hi Geoff,

Please just call me Jason, I'm not old enough yet to be a "Mister" (only in mid 20's).

The main trick to let the pommel slip past your wrist and not hold the sword in a "hammer" type grip. At first this may feel weak, like you will lose your grip, but it will deliver a very powerful slashing and slicing cut to the target I'll see if I can get a picture of me cutting with a Hastings from the time the cutting video was taken. I might have to call on Mac to host it for me though, since I don't have any personal webspace.

Thanks Jason
I look forward to the pictures. I confess to some doubts about people (vikings) inventing a handle and then having to invent a new way to hold it (odd things with little fingers and so on) , but I'll keep the doubts in check for now.

Last edited by Geoff Wood on Tue 09 Sep, 2003 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a suggestion guys.

When replying to a quote please edit your post so that it only displays the direct quote that you're responding to. Arbitrarily hitting the quote button copies everything, and it really strings things out.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Arbitrarily hitting the quote button copies everything, and it really strings things out.

Sorry
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am very eager to see the first "real world" steel versions of these swords. Please get us some pictures as soon as you can.

Attachment: 78.98 KB
viking hiltsj.jpg
Albion Next Gen Viking Hilts

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion's new Vikings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic