cromwellian armour, is it genuine?
Can any of you guys help with this one. They were found well rusty in a barn at Exeter, Devon ,UK. The area was a centre of
Cromwellian activity and they are quite heavy. I know they have got bent over the centuries ( if genuine ) but i dont want to chance bending them. I have got most rust off and oiled them.If they are 'right' could you help with an idea of value please.

Attachment: 79.34 KB
tass1.JPG

pic2
pic2

Attachment: 67.13 KB
tass2.JPG

pic 3
pic 3

Attachment: 88.59 KB
tass3.JPG

pic4
pic4

Attachment: 71.45 KB
tass4.JPG

pic5
pic5

Attachment: 118.74 KB
tass5.JPG

They could be. It is hard to tell by pictures but they fit the decoration, design and make of the time. if anything it is just the tassets and lower breastplate lame. Was there anymore?

RPM
Hi Steve, just based on the pics i'd say theres a fairly good chance this is legit. The hinges seem to be correct, the attention to detail is good with the false ridging to make the tassets look like they're made from multiple lames. The riveted decoration indicates a some what nicer pikemans armour, perhaps for an officer of foote. Don't monkey around with trying to unbend them, theres a chance that any old forge welds that may be nearing delamination might break/crack so its better to leave it as is.
anymore ?
I wish there had been more, these were just a sorry sight at the back of a farm barn, they may well have sat there since the period as the farm dated back to the 1600's.Glad to hear you think they look right, they look great on our cottage wall anyway !
The tassets look good to me, but the fauld lame doesn't look right. The angle seems wrong, it looks like it's been bent a lot in the centre. It doesn't look like it came off a contemporary breastplate.

That said, it's very difficult to make a solid judgement via photos. It's MUCH better to examine the piece in person, so anything anyone says from looking at photos is of limited value. That includes my comment above. ;-)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: