Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Erbach Sword! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Windlass Erbach Sword!         Reply with quote

Windlass Steelcrafts has introduced a brilliant new sword kit ( Wink ) They've taken a swing at the famous German XVIIIa from Schloss Erbach (see Oakeshott, ROTMS). It's in the new MRL catalog, but nowhere online as far as I can tell (typical). Y'all are not going to believe this thing (in a good way). I will own this piece. It's the best thing I've seen from Windlass in a long, long time--maybe ever. The cross lacks the rectangular swelling of the original and the blade is slightly different, so I wouldn't give it the highest marks as a repro of the original (maybe a 7 out of 10 for visual accuracy). But it looks outstanding as a sword of this type. The blade is hollow-ground and very well proportioned. In fact, the entire piece is well proportioned. I'll give mine a new finish, grip and wrap (when I get it next year,) but apparently won't have to do much else beyond the basic stabilization of the hilt.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Nov, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the head's up, I will have to be on the lookout for my catalogue, perhaps it will get here today.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: .........         Reply with quote

Hi Sean ..

could you post a pic of the sword?? Worried .. am curious how looks like...

“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a scan from the catalog...

I agree, very nice proportions!

Just wish that Windlass could use a little thicker stock. 3/16 seems a little thin in the forte... especially for a hollow grind.

ks

Attachment: 98.51 KB
MRL.Erbach.jpg

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kirk Lee Spencer wrote:
Here is a scan from the catalog...

I agree, very nice proportions!

Just wish that Windlass could use a little thicker stock. 3/16 seems a little thin in the forte... especially for a hollow grind.

ks

Thanks for posting the pic, Kirk! I was waiting to grab the image from the MRL site but they still haven't put it up. Confused

There's no telling about the thickness, unfortunately. I just bought two Windlass knife blades, both described as being 1/8" thick. One is 1/4" with a nice distal taper down to 1/8" and the other is 1/8" its entire length and feels like a kitchen knife blade.

We just need for somebody to buy one of these and get some specs. Big Grin

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the pic Kirk -- Big Grin , could be awesome if someone makes a good review of this sword and see the improvements of Windlass
“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! I was truly surprised when I scrolled down to the picture, that is indeed a beautiful sword and I agree with Sean, that is perhaps the best Windlass that "I" have ever seen, in fact on second thought, this is the best Windlass sword that I have ever seen!

Sincerely!

Bob
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: The Schloss Sword         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to correct one element of the description for the sword in the catalog description. MRL states "This sword rests in the Schloss Erbach Armoury..." this is not accurate. The sword is providenced to have come from the armoury, but today it actually is part of The Oakeshott Collection housed in The Oakeshott Institute.

Here is a pic of the actual sword

Best

Craig Johnson
Sec. The Oakeshott Inst.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the image, Craig! I dimly recalled that it was in the U.S. now.
-Sean

Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll adopt a wait-and-see attitude until someone has had sword in hand before making any decisions regarding this. In other news, their new basilard dagger looks promising too.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Erbach Sword!         Reply with quote

Craig's post serves as a reminder that anybody who can't or won't do the kind of work I'm planning for this sword should simply get the A&A Schloss Erbach. I certainly would if I had the cash. But, as it is, I'll even have to wait for the Windlass piece to be discounted and even then may have to sell something from my collection to justify the addition.

I know even without handling it that the A&A piece is worth every penny as-is, while the Windlass will need a significant investment of time and labor (which I enjoy) just to bring it up to the minimum assembly/aesthetic standard. Then, of course, I'll still have a Windlass sword.

I mention this because I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm suggesting that the Windlass Erbach is superior or even just equivalent to the A&A Schloss Erbach Arming Sword. Apples and Oranges. Maybe more like Apple and Apple Pie. Big Grin One is a finished and well-researched piece. The other is a kit, basically, and may not represent any research beyond opening ROTMS to the chapter on Type XVIII.

-Sean

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Erbach Sword!         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I know even without handling it that the A&A piece is worth every penny as-is,

As a person who's been lucky enough to hold both the original, antique sword in question, I wanted to say how right Sean is. The A&A reproduction is remarkably accurate, not just in appearance, but in handling.

On the other hand, this MRL sword looks pretty good, and is pretty inexpensive!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Windlass version is not a bad likeness. Is it just me, or is the blade hollow-ground? I own an A&A Schloss, though Craig & company have slightly tweaked their model since my purchase ($465 new, July of 2000). It is still the most sublime reproduction sword I've ever handled - and I've handled newer high-end pieces from other makers that cost twice as much or more. Every time I handle a sword at a Renfaire or someone's house or whatever, I find myself comparing it to my Schloss Erbach. It truly sets a standard.

I'm eager to check out the Windlass version sometime. Has anybody bagged one yet? Thoughts?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
The Windlass version is not a bad likeness. Is it just me, or is the blade hollow-ground?

It's not just you. The catalogue page scanned in above says "the blade is lightly hollow-ground." Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL has posted better photos (see attached). I might take .25" off the base of the pommel, narrow the base and extend the filing, among other things.

Attachment: 102.38 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 51.51 KB
[ Download ]

-Sean

Craig L.

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jun, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did you finally get that Windlass Erbach, Sean? I'm thinking of picking one up myself, and was wondering about a) whippines, b) durability (for medium/heavy cutting, e.g. tatami and bamboo), and c) handling. Any insight on these characteristics?

Thanks very much!
Craig
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jun, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still don't have one. The price hasn't dropped into my "project" range, but I still expect that to happen. I'm not worried about the blade. I'm working on a narrow Windlass Type XVIII right now and it's very stiff. In any case, I think the last time I saw a truly "whippy" Windlass blade was on their old German Bastard Sword, and that was almost a decade ago.

I think the current KOA price of $209 is fair for this piece as-is. But, again, I think of the Erbach Sword as a project, needing refinishing, refinement of pommel and cross (grinding/filing,) complete replacement of grip, stabilization of hilt furniture (shims, epoxy, peen). So, even the KOA price is too high for my purposes. I'm looking for an investment of $150 to create a sword and scabbard set one would not expect to get for less than, say, $600.

-Sean

Craig L.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jun, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Sean!

Sean Flynt wrote:
[...] refinishing, refinement of pommel and cross (grinding/filing,) complete replacement of grip, stabilization of hilt furniture (shims, epoxy, peen) [...]

She'll be a beautiful sword once you've purchased and upgraded her -- please keep us posted.

If anyone else has purchased this sword and can provide some insight, please chime in!
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jun, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig L. wrote:
Thanks for the info, Sean!

Sean Flynt wrote:
[...] refinishing, refinement of pommel and cross (grinding/filing,) complete replacement of grip, stabilization of hilt furniture (shims, epoxy, peen) [...]

She'll be a beautiful sword once you've purchased and upgraded her -- please keep us posted.

If anyone else has purchased this sword and can provide some insight, please chime in!

SBG did a review of this sword a while back:

www.sword-buyers-guide.com/erbach.html

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Craig L.

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Sutton wrote:
SBG did a review of this sword a while back:

www.sword-buyers-guide.com/erbach.html
Thanks David. I had read this review earlier, and was grateful for the info, but I was left curious by this paragraph
L. Tjessem wrote:
Being a Windlass, I was anxious to see weather the blade would be a whippy as I've heard. I found that it wasn't too bad, it sure wasn't a stiff blade but I didn't find it too whippy either. When held horizontally the blade does sag a little, and I have no problems flexing it quite a bit.

I was hoping to get some further impressions on whippiness (as this seems to vary somewhat from user to user) and durabilty (perhaps from someone who has had the opportunity to cut more substantial targets). I wanted to follow-up as well with the review writer, but no email or PM option is available; perhaps I can catch him on the SBG forum, but I'm not a frequent visitor there.

Thanks again,
Craig

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Erbach Sword!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic