Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommendations for fixed blade knives Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Recommendations for fixed blade knives         Reply with quote

I'm looking for advice on a reasonably priced ($50-100) fixed blade hunter. I'd prefer a stainless steel blade that will hold a decent edge. Any advice for sources?
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for fixed blade knives         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I'm looking for advice on a reasonably priced ($50-100) fixed blade hunter. I'd prefer a stainless steel blade that will hold a decent edge. Any advice for sources?

Chad, if you are looking for a light hunting knife that carries light and will cut like mad, try the Spyderco FB01 Moran Drop Point. I have one and can vouch for its ease of carry, its cutting ability, and its ergonomics. This is not a sexy or heavy-duty camp knife but a working hunter for skinning and cutting up any game up to and including a White Tail Deer if you have the skills.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageActio...rodID=1743

Coming in a bit more money would be one of John Greco's Hunters. John's knives may not be the prettiest dogs on the block but they are Hell for strong and they carry and cut very, very well. He makes them all by himself and you can order one from him over the telephone as I have. He is a great gentleman and wonderful to do business with.
His site is www.grecoknives.com but it appears to be down at the moment. Try him later.

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Matthew D G

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

CRKT (Columbia rivers knife & tool) has a good set of fixed blade hunters made of hollow ground 440a stainless with a mirror polish. I know a few people who own then and they seem to like them very much.

They run about $50-$150

Hope that helps Chad
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had no worries out of my Cold Steel Pendleton. I like the drop point a lot, but could undetsand if you prefer other makers. For $15, the Cold Steel Finn Bear is an incredible knife, but I have yet to use it on anything substantial.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for fixed blade knives         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Chad...

I have carried a Buck personal hunter model 119 I think (I am not where I can check the model #), for over 35 years (the same knife) and it will go hunting with me again on Saturday. During that time it has field-dressed mule deer, whitetails and a bighorn sheep. I even used it to help cape out the sheep for the taxidermist, but it is definitely not a skinner.

The stainless blade holds an edge well and is easy to sharpen.

Buck knives are simple, well-made, durable knives. For an inexpensive, mass-produced but still excellent quality knife I recommend a Buck in whatever blade configuration suits your needs the best.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

We have a manufacturer here that produces knives used all over the world. They make some excellent production blades. Here's the url : http://www.onlygerberknives.com/. And your price range should put you into some custom blades as well.

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Clark Volmar

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for fixed blade knives         Reply with quote

Lin Robinson wrote:
I have carried a Buck personal hunter model 119 I think (I am not where I can check the model #), for over 35 years (the same knife) and it will go hunting with me again on Saturday. During that time it has field-dressed mule deer, whitetails and a bighorn sheep..

For what its worth, I have to echo Lin's recommendation. My father gave me a Buck 119 for our first hunting trip, not long after I turned 13. This knife has held up to all manner of use, and abuse (weathering even my teenage years), still taking, and holding, a fine edge. Today, at 38 years old, it is still the knife I use hunting, camping, hiking, whatever...a definite old friend, so to speak.

Despite the relative low cost, the knife is a great value...

Not a photo my knife, but one I scavanged from the web

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. -- Douglas Adams
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can't got wrong with a good ole K-BAR!
http://www.discountkabars.com/

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Matthew D G

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Buck model 119 was my first hunter and is a very strong blade that can hold a razor edge for a long time. Bought it at wal-mart for $30. hasent let me down yet Happy
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got to back up a little. When I got home and looked at my Buck knife I found that it is a 118, not a 119. The blade is more narrow than the 119 and it does not have the fuller. The 118 has apparently been discontinued as it does not show up on the Buck site. However, the 119 is a fine blade, as are all Buck knives and I am sure it, or one of their other models will serve you well.

Clark, thanks for seconding my recommendation. You have a fine knive too.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for fixed blade knives         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

So many choices out there I can't think of a specific one but here is a good source of information at least, I haven't ordered from them but if you " CLICK " on " BRANDS " you can quickly look at almost all the major makers products and the suggested retail prices: http://www.knifecenter.com/

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for fixed blade knives         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
So many choices out there I can't think of a specific one but here is a good source of information at least, I haven't ordered from them but if you " CLICK " on " BRANDS " you can quickly look at almost all the major makers products and the suggested retail prices: http://www.knifecenter.com/

I have done business with this knife seller for almost a decade, and have never had a complaint, always found them to be reliable and honest. If it says it's in stock, it's in stock.

I would also put my vote in for Buck as first choice, Gerber as a second choice, k-Bar as a third.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone,
Thanks for all the advice. I almost bought the Buck 119, but then found something that fits me a little better, the Buck Vanguard:

It's smaller than the 119, but it's a handy size that I really like. I bought mine off Ebay, but you can buy them from many knife retailers. If you want to help out myArmoury, you can even buy it through Amazon.com, earning us referral credit: http://www.amazon.com/Buck-192BR-Vanguard-Fix...amp;sr=8-2 . Happy

Happy

ChadA

Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Everyone,
Thanks for all the advice. I almost bought the Buck 119, but then found something that fits me a little better, the Buck Vanguard:

It's smaller than the 119, but it's a handy size that I really like. I bought mine off Ebay, but you can buy them from many knife retailers. If you want to help out myArmoury, you can even buy it through Amazon.com, earning us referral credit: http://www.amazon.com/Buck-192BR-Vanguard-Fix...amp;sr=8-2 . Happy

Chad...

Very good decision. That knife will serve you very well.

Lin Robinson

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad & All,

Chad, congratulations. It looks like a good utilitarian design,

I strongly recommend visiting Ragweed Forge on line to anyone interested in getting a knife. Ragnar imports and sells knives primarily from Scandinavia that are really excellent. I have two from Finland which are both practical, useful tools and shaving sharp. I also recently purchased an Opinel from France that I think will prove to be a good knife as well.

Ken Speed
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just chucked the knife on my scanner so people could get a better view of it (hopefully). It's sharp as heck and the inclusion of a leather sheath is nice. It's no custom piece, but should do all I need it to do. Happy

Attachment: 38.08 KB
Vanguard.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Recommendations for fixed blade knives
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic