Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm expecting to spend roughly about $700 on my next purchase, though I could possibly go higher. I was originally saving for an A&A rapier, but got lucky and got one off SFI's classifieds for an incredible deal. So now I'm probably going to save for another A&A piece... been really eyeing that town guard sidesword of theirs. Unless if I'm somehow lucky and Erik Stevenson's wait list suddenly clears, in which case I'm getting a rapier from him.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess my next purchase will be in the $451 - 750 range, probably a Templ onehander for about $500.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine is a Kevin Cashen L6 XVIa longsword, due in the second half of next year. Includes a green raykin handle wrap with silver wire bining, polished steel mounts and I'm thinking of a gold inlay of DUES VULT in the fuller. Approx US$2000. Should be a beauty.

Attachment: 11.39 KB
XVIaMK3.jpg

Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
Mine is a Kevin Cashen L6 XVIa longsword, due in the second half of next year. Includes a green raykin handle wrap with silver wire bining, polished steel mounts and I'm thinking of a gold inlay of DUES VULT in the fuller. Approx US$2000. Should be a beauty.

Yeah, that would be a real looker! But won't the rayskin be tough on your hands? One changes grip on a longsword several times while using it; it isn't like a onehander. And I hope that when it is time for the inlay, it will say "DEUS VULT" instead... Wink
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Sep, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:

Be sure to show us plenty of photos of that new sword Taylor. I bet it will be a real beauty. A review might be a nice contribution as well Wink
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I been getting more expensive tastes of late and right now have $1200, $1500, and $2000 projects in the pipe that will get paid in that order. Depending on work conditions and a host of other variable other projects might get lumped into the mix.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Nice to see you again Taylor         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:

Hey there Taylor,
First off it's great to see you again. Hope you hav ebeen doing ok. That sword is beautiful. You know that Kevin will do a first class job it too. Rayskin is a little tough on the hands, and gets slick sometiems too when your hands get sweaty. All this is solved by a good pair of gloves. Could you give is some proposed dimensions on that sword Taylor?

P.S. Anduril is doing fine and I still love it
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to see you again Taylor         Reply with quote

On the subject of rayskin, it's a bit overdone in my opinion. Something like shark skin dyed the appropriate color would be just as nice without being too hard on the hands. It's very tough and durable as well.
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to see you again Taylor         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
On the subject of rayskin, it's a bit overdone in my opinion. Something like shark skin dyed the appropriate color would be just as nice without being too hard on the hands. It's very tough and durable as well.

Patrick
I'll show my ignorance here. I thought that sharkskin also had denticles in it. Is it a matter of those in sharkskin being smaller than those in rayskin, or less sharp, or something else?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff,

Shark skin is a different animal from ray skin (no pun intended). Ray skin is exactly that, the skin of the manta ray, sting ray, etc. While shark skin has a rough texture it isn't nearly as granulure as ray skin. I have a belt, holster, and magazine pouch that are covered in shark skin. I've used these for off duty carry for years and they still look nearly new.
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: changes         Reply with quote

price point 1501 which I thought would be my latest when the poll was posted...nope AT1420 was the other day... not now gasp I just made the under $200 yesterday with a repro Patton Sword WTF?! , since I am still looking for a good quality original....can I change my $1501 to Under $200 Razz
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
[Yeah, that would be a real looker! But won't the rayskin be tough on your hands? One changes grip on a longsword several times while using it; it isn't like a onehander. And I hope that when it is time for the inlay, it will say "DEUS VULT" instead... Wink

lol... yep, that's how I'll spell it. Wink

Can sharksin come in different colours? I'm after a nice dark green. Happy
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice to see you again Taylor         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
Hey there Taylor,
First off it's great to see you again. Hope you hav ebeen doing ok. That sword is beautiful. You know that Kevin will do a first class job it too. Rayskin is a little tough on the hands, and gets slick sometiems too when your hands get sweaty. All this is solved by a good pair of gloves. Could you give is some proposed dimensions on that sword Taylor?

P.S. Anduril is doing fine and I still love it

Hi Joel, sure. It's going to have a 35 inch blade and weigh about 3lbs. Other than that, I'm not too concerned. Happy
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Be sure to show us plenty of photos of that new sword Taylor. I bet it will be a real beauty. A review might be a nice contribution as well Wink

Hi Patrick,
I thought reviews here were only allowed by staff. I wouldn't mind doing one for my new manning imperial sword. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor Ellis wrote:
I thought reviews here were only allowed by staff. I wouldn't mind doing one for my new manning imperial sword. Happy

Uh, why would you think that?

Oh, and... we don't have a "staff" here.. that's elsewhere Happy We're just a bunch of guys typing junk up on our computers and uploading it to this silly site. Grin

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Taylor,

First, there's no such thing as "staff" around here. We prefer to keep things in their proper perspective.

Anyone is welcome to become a contributor, in fact, the more the better. It helps take the strain off the rest of us in terms of generating content.

If you'd like to write a review by all means, please do so. Run it by Nathan when it's finished, and provided that it fits the required format it shouldn't be a problem adding it to the features section.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, you're in my head again Eek!
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Taylor,

First, there's no such thing as "staff" around here. We prefer to keep things in their proper perspective.

Anyone is welcome to become a contributor, in fact, the more the better. It helps take the strain off the rest of us in terms of generating content.

If you'd like to write a review by all means, please do so. Run it by Nathan when it's finished, and provided that it fits the required format it shouldn't be a problem adding it to the features section.

No worries. I'll write up one when I get the photos developed!
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Nice to see you again Taylor         Reply with quote

Here is a scan of one of my sharkskin grips ( by Eljay Erickson) ......

And here is a rayskin example ( also by Eljay ) .......

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 10 Sep, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I fall into the mid-range; my collection is aimed (more or less) at covering a wide range of historical types. Next up is a longsword, possibly Atrim's German longsword or one of his very long longswords; perhaps the A&A Durer (which I personally prefer to the English longsword, although both are very nice).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase
Page 2 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: