Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 1st half 18th c. gentleman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Bosman wrote:
Even without a falling dollar-problem his special work is going to be more costly than all three GGG-swords together Laughing Out Loud

peter

Peter, I had saved for five years to put together the $2200 dollars that I had figured that it would cost for his #118 Abingdon sword but the currency exchange rate now puts it at over $3000. I am just glad that I have more time to save and I can only hope that some changes will bring the dollar back up vs. the Euro. I will leave it at that rather than bring down the wrath of the Mods for political content. Big Grin

Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is not funny -munny Hugh.

Meanwhile GGG have confirmed they can (up to a point) customise the pieces to match, so Cool

I am considering to combine the colichemarde and hunting sword as the sabre would be pushing the envelope and these two fit the idea best.

peter
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go for it, Peter! I am looking forward to some photos of whatever you end up getting since GGG's site does not have the best photography

Jonathan
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, would you mind explaining to me how you would combine a colichemarde blade with a saber blade? My mind cannot seem to get around that concept. Confused Confused Perhaps my imagination is a bit too constricted, as my son used to say about my illustrations for his fantasy games. My illustrations were too historically accurate.
Hugh
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
Peter, would you mind explaining to me how you would combine a colichemarde blade with a saber blade? My mind cannot seem to get around that concept. Confused Confused Perhaps my imagination is a bit too constricted, as my son used to say about my illustrations for his fantasy games. My illustrations were too historically accurate.

I think he means he might buy both. Idea
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes I mean to buy TWO swords.

I am not sure wether I undestand Hugh's question though.
My son grasps the concepts of poking with an epee and slashing with a sabre as completely differing . Thát made me realise that to master both díffering techniques is would be wise to seperate the functions and thus blades. Therefor De Saunier may have encouraged training with both even though the cavalier may have used a cut&thrust blade combining the two techniques in óne tool.
After all the Patton sword is a 'sabre' mainly for thrusting to give an example of interconceptual Eek! functionality Wink

As I do not intend nor pretend to master anything with these things beyond a basic understanding of swordsmanship to add to my ríding skills, I thus choose the two civilian swords. On the one hand because my character is and on the other because think they can me made into a very nice matching pair Exclamation ánd match the saddlegun.

Btw Hugh, I guess you son will like my approach to a saddlegun for the character: a flintlock 'coach gun' with saddle ring facilitating a reload Cool I am sure similar thingies must have been used even if not historically correct in the sense that we have no actually surviving example Laughing Out Loud

peter
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, I was trying to picture a combination of epee and saber into one blade and could not see howe it would work. I had misunderstood what it was that you planned upon doing. My mistake.

As to your "saddlegun" I assume that you mean by "coachgun" a bell-mouth blunderbuss. With a ring attached to sling it from a carbine sling, it should be a most effective close range weapon that would be fairly easy to recharge. That was the real purpose of the bell mouth. The tricky part to reloading a flintlock on horse back, so I have heard, is repriming the pan.

Hugh
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
As to your "saddlegun" I assume that you mean by "coachgun" a bell-mouth blunderbuss. With a ring attached to sling it from a carbine sling, it should be a most effective close range weapon that would be fairly easy to recharge.

Short yes, barrelmouth no.
One reason is that I came accross several mentions on short barrelled guns without ánd found an illustration of a beáutifull dutch made set of 17 c. boarguns.
The other is that I want to experiment on how to carry the thing and a bell mouth excludes a scabbard.

Living in a village that acquired the name 'Trabuco' = blunderbuss, from a dutch innkeeper I just HAVE to try flint-lock saddle gun Laughing Out Loud

peter
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
Any updates on your swords from Godwin?

Jonathan

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > 1st half 18th c. gentleman
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: