Custom Broadsword by John Lundemo at Odinblades
Here are some pics and stats of the broadsword I had John make.

I named this the Sword of Hope based on the inscriptions I had John put on the blade. I thought it was interesting having a message of hope placed on such a brutal instrument of war...

The stats are:

Total length: 42 3/4 inches
Blade length: 34 inches
Blade width at base: 2 5/8 inches
Blade width at tip: 3/4 inches
Handle length: 7 inches
Weight: 3lb 5oz
POB: 3 1/8 inches from guard
Blade material: Jerry Rados Damascus steel
Furniture material: Antiqued bronze
Handle material: Burl hardwood (have to ask John...)
Pommel design: Carved with cross design, sort of like the sword of St. Catherine
Cross guard inscriptions: DEUS VULT (God wills it) with Maltese Cross
Blade inscriptions: AGNUS DEI DONA NOBIS PACEM (Lamb of God grant us peace) with Maltese Crosses and misc. squiggles...

My directions to Mr. Lundemo were pretty vague...I want a nice Crusader's broadsword with damascus blade, bronze fitings, burl wood handle and the following inscriptions... What he came up with is truly beautiful. It's not a small sword by any means and has some heft at nearly 3lbs 5oz but with the POB at just over 3-inches from the guard, it's deceptively light and fast. It feels simply perfect. I can't thanks John enough for making the custom dream come true.

The fit and finish of this sword are simply impecible. The lines of the blade are clean and straight. The fullers are perfectly executed with absolutely no visible grind marks. The furniture is perfectly tight and the wood work of the handle is absolutely beautiful. Truly a masterpiece in my opinion...of course it's mine, so what would you expect me to say? :)

I also had John do up a scabbard with belt and rigging for which I gave him absolutely no direction as to style, etc. I really don't think John's scabbards get nearly enough credit. It's every bit as artistic and impressive as the sword itself and when they're married up, it's the perfect set. The look of the bronze fittings and wood handle matched to the rich colors of the scabbard are stunning. If you get a chance to work with John and order a custom from him...do it! Really, John...thank you for this. It's truly beautiful and exceeds my expectations in every way.

Wow, that is a truly beautiful sword, I can't think of a single thing I would want to change with it.

You should be very proud to own it.
I have to agree, that is a thing of beauty. I especially like the inscription on the blade.
APPLESAUCE SIGN ON !!!

That is a very beautiful package. Much of the work I've seen JL do has nothing but quality
and quality control written all over it. I'm not a big fan of inscriptions and such, but that's
just my personal taste. You should be powerfully proud to own that beastie !

But is it true JL works out of a cave ? wears only the loin-clout made from a bear he slew
with a toothbrush and a broken power-pick ? hasn't shaved since sprouting his first chin
hair ? and won't speak to anyone until he's devoured his first bowel of oatmeal in the
morning ?????

B-)
Really beautiful, but then words sort of fail and it becomes difficult to praise this sword the way it deserves. :D
Very nice, the steel, the hilt composition, the scabbard, what a great package. Congratulations on a beautiful sword.
Damn!
Very nice sword! Wish I could afford one!
It's beautiful. I really like the width of the blade. Wide blades appeal to me aesthetically. Would I offend if I asked how much it cost you to have made? Probably too rich for my blood, but still curious.

Thanks.
That is just so gorgeous!
It kind of makes me cringe seeing it there on the pavement, for fear of something getting scratched!
Of course, that also makes me want to pick it up even more.

Congratulations on a really nice sword and scabbard-set.
Seeing this just made my Friday.
Brian Ellis Cassity wrote:
It's beautiful. I really like the width of the blade. Wide blades appeal to me aesthetically. Would I offend if I asked how much it cost you to have made? Probably too rich for my blood, but still curious.

Thanks.

The sword and scabbard package were $3,350USD shipped to me on the left coast and the wait was just shy of 2-years...though I think Mr. Lundemo has caught up on most of his backlog and the waiting period isn't nearly that long at the moment. It came in a neat wooden crate that I had to destroy to get open in my haste to see what was within!

Thanks all for your kind words. I'm really proud of this sword. It pretty much captures everything I could imagine wanting in a Western Medieval blade. I also have a gladius that John made some time ago. It pretty much captures everything I could imagine wanting in a Roman era sword! I really like his artistry!
Considering the work that went into that sword, the price is very good! you got a great deal

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: