Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > (Chronicles of Narnia) Peter's helmet Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Nash IV

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: (Chronicles of Narnia) Peter's helmet         Reply with quote

I was watching the recent film adaptation recently, and was struck (as I have been every time) by Peter's helmet in the big battle scene. Finally it's been enough that I poked around the forums here and at SFI in the hopes of finding someone else who'd already asked - is there any historical basis for it? It looks like a fairly grounded design, at least to me, aside from perhaps the "toes" at the top and bottom of the visor, but I've not seen anything quite like it anywhere. I ought to write it off as pure fantasy, no doubt, but it's got such appealing, even practical-looking lines.

Here are a few screenshots I found elsewhere:

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensiesfiles/peterhelmet2.jpg - Visor closed, from the front.

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensiesfiles/peterhelmet3.jpg - Side view, visor up.

http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensiesfiles/peterhelmet.jpg - A shot of what may be the original prop, from above.
Richard Gessman

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too would like to know if that helm bears a resemblance to any historical specimen, as I've always admired the look of it in the movie.
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's basically a visored sallet, not uncommon in the late 15th century, although fitted with a visor which is most probably pure fantasy. This is not to say that it could not be copied from a historical piece, just that I have never seen one shaped like this.

Personally, the appearance is not to my taste but yes, it does appear to be quite practical. Perhaps the addition of a bevor would have been worthwhile though.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it was obviously inspired by a sallet minus the bevor. It has fantasy elements, and is not completely historical.

EDIT: D.Austin beat me too it Laughing Out Loud

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The design does look pretty good to me aesthetically but I wonder about the curving ocular, seen from above, just making for a bigger opening vulnerable to a downward thrust without really improving forward vision when seen from the front ?

No comment about it being historically correct except that I've never seen one like it ! Lets say a possible design but unsupported by any evidence.

Now, since this is a design for a fantasy movie based on a book I sort of prefer discussing it mostly on looks and function.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Nash IV

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The design does look pretty good to me aesthetically but I wonder about the curving ocular, seen from above, just making for a bigger opening vulnerable to a downward thrust without really improving forward vision when seen from the front ?

No comment about it being historically correct except that I've never seen one like it ! Lets say a possible design but unsupported by any evidence.

Now, since this is a design for a fantasy movie based on a book I sort of prefer discussing it mostly on looks and function.

Yes, I thought the bulged sections of the visor at the ocular and at the bottom seemed like rather poor design choices, as they seemed to me like they'd add rather large holes for pointy things to go into.

Realistic or not, though, the helmet still holds quite a bit of charm, for me at least. The angles and curves give it a really sleek, menacing look. A pity about the "insert sword here" holes. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > (Chronicles of Narnia) Peter's helmet
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic