Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Authenic sword form Hermann Historica Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Authenic sword form Hermann Historica         Reply with quote

Howdy Folks,

I was browsing through the new catalogue at Hermann Historica http://www.hermann-historica-ohg.de, and I stumbled upon this stunning sword. There was a thread about owning antiques and I said that I'd rather own a sword that I could use, but after seing this piece I think I would have bided on it if I could afford it. For some reason this sword seemed "special"!?!?!? Or maybe its just my obsession with XIIIa and XIIa. This one looks like XIIIa to me. Is the cross-section hexagonal, or is it just my imagination? Anyhow I do not have $4000 to spend on an antique now.............maybe later..........much, much later..........

Directly form the web-site
"German, beginning of the 15th century. Heavy blade with a fuller on both sides. Brass cross inlaid on one side. Straight quillons with slightly thickened finials. Tang has deeply stamped smith mark. Slightly oval disk pommel, with the remnants of a stamped cross on one side. The chape which belongs to the sword is included. Cleaned and conserved excavation discovery. The surface has been partly restored by polishing. Length 128.5 cm."

Enjoy it,
Alexi

Attachment: 12.06 KB
hermann-1.jpeg

Attachment: 8.21 KB
hermann-2.jpeg

Attachment: 76.69 KB
hermann-3.jpeg
brass cross inlaid
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great sword. Found this one there too. I wonder if the rayskin grip was added later? (most likely)

The text:
Italy, around 1480. Broad tapering blade with short double fullers. Both sides have stamped dot and sawtooth marks. Iron quillons slightly bent toward the blade with chiseled groove decoration. Sharkskin grip cover. Disk pommel with an antique silver coin set into one side with the likeness of Julius Caesar and a half round gem (Serpentine?) on the reverse. Length 99.5 cm.
High quality sword of the early Italian Renaissance.

WHY, OH WHY, WAS I BORN GOOD-LOOKING INSTEAD OF RICH?!?! Laughing Out Loud

Attachment: 6.82 KB
28762_b.jpg

Attachment: 6.82 KB
28762_b.jpg

Attachment: 57.17 KB
28762_c.jpg

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some very neat stuff.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If that is a coin, wouldn't there be some Latin on it? It looks more like a medallion perhaps made for this sword. ??
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Victorian Copies?         Reply with quote

I am wondering if these are not victorian repros. That second one looks suspiciously like the sword attributed to King Henry V. Craig ( A&A) talked about this on the phone once, about the proliferation of victorian copies beign pawned off as original medieval swords. Makes one wonder.

Joel
James Ogle

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It could be. However there are several swords listed that are "in the style of <century>" there as well. Those swords have much lower reserves for swords that appear to be in better condition than swords of a similar era. The company appears to be a fairly decent antigues dealer and the last thing an antiques dealer wants is to sell something that has been dated wrong.

An example is the Katzbalger that has a reserve of only about 370 dollars. That would make it cheaper than most new swords of that type. Running the description through Babel Fish results in, "modern preparation of collecting tank in the style around 1530. Strengthens, reciprocally doubly gekehlte blade with quadruple gekehlter false sharpness. At the blade beginning on one side doubly struck forging mark. Cut eyeglass container, Hilze from gekehltem, dark horn with typical, heavy Knauf. Length 85.5 cm"
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Victorian Copies?         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:
I am wondering if these are not victorian repros. That second one looks suspiciously like the sword attributed to King Henry V. Craig ( A&A) talked about this on the phone once, about the proliferation of victorian copies beign pawned off as original medieval swords. Makes one wonder.

Joel

They have a similar profile. The guard has similarites, but the blade shape is more Type XIV than XVIII, and the pommel is different enough.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: No dishonesty implied here         Reply with quote

I am in no way trying to imply dishonesty on the part of the dealer. They may not know that the swords are copies ( if they indeed are). It just makes me wonder, especially with the find grip condtion of the second example, if these are original medieval swords. Without providence provided I would not give the asking price. I think we need Bjorn, or someone who is fluent in German to interpert for us. Perhaps the site does state that these are Victorian examples or gives dates of the make of each sword. The first sword looks more in line of the condition of most sword sof it's type and period that I haev seen. Now granted, I am far from an expert but looking my copy of Records of the Medieval, Sword in Hand and other texts, along with some actual historical examples I was able to glimpse in Scotland, sword B is in super condition. If it truely is an actual medieval sword then I think the asking price is far too low. Perhaps the seller is basing the price on what they paid to acquire it. I don 't know. Sword a looks like someone has tried to knock some rust off as parts of the blade look polished. Intriguing concept though.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joel,

There are several nearly mint swords in "Records", so conditions is not always a dead giveaway of age. The first sword was found in excavation so the condition is consistent with it being berried for some time.
It has to be mentioned that ~80% of the swords that are found come from river finds (if I remember correctly the number given by Oakeshott). This simply means that most of the swords on display today are going to have the look of the first sword or worse.
There are examples of sword that were always taken care of, so these will look remarkably preserved. And yes, some of these "cared-for" swords have had their grips changed to reflect fashion or ware and tare from use.

Alexi
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Having trouble with the price         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Hi Joel,

There are several nearly mint swords in "Records", so conditions is not always a dead giveaway of age. The first sword was found in excavation so the condition is consistent with it being berried for some time.
It has to be mentioned that ~80% of the swords that are found come from river finds (if I remember correctly the number given by Oakeshott). This simply means that most of the swords on display today are going to have the look of the first sword or worse.
There are examples of sword that were always taken care of, so these will look remarkably preserved. And yes, some of these "cared-for" swords have had their grips changed to reflect fashion or ware and tare from use.

Alexi

You are correct Alexi. However, I have trouble reconciling the prices mentioned with authentic medieval swords. Just my opinion. Buy if you wish, but I would not put out that money and expect to get a true medieval sword.

Joel
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Having trouble with the price         Reply with quote

Joel Whitmore wrote:

You are correct Alexi. However, I have trouble reconciling the prices mentioned with authentic medieval swords. Just my opinion. Buy if you wish, but I would not put out that money and expect to get a true medieval sword.

Joel

Hi Joel,

yes I was somewhat surprised at the "low" $4000 price tag. But I think that this is the starting price for the bidding, so it is more likely that the sword will be sold for more. That being said, I do not know what determines the asking price for antiques. I have certainly seen swords in worse condition being sold for twice as much. I guess what is known about the sword as well as the willingness of the potential buyers will determine the price.

If I had 4K to spend on unnecessary things (functional sword not included in that category), I will definitely go for the antique XIIIa. I would definitely have an expert take a look at it too.

Alexi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Authenic sword form Hermann Historica
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic