Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > First Re-Enactment Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Douglas Huxtable

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: First Re-Enactment Sword         Reply with quote

Hi,
I hope someone can give me some general info on who to get a sword from, what type it should be and how cheap it can be!
We are starting to re-enact and need a sword for live steel the group are fairly picky about how authentic things are but..... as long as it is shaped like a 15th century sword, Im sure there will be no quarell! Big Grin
Obviously we are looking for a novice sword, therefore hopefully cheap, although we do respect that this is often not possible.
Can anyone give some ideas/introduce us to some makers websites where we can find trusty re-enactors swords from the 15th century!
Were generally looking for a one handed sword or a hand and a half, if we can afford it. (My son.)

Thanks

Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please take some time to check out our extensive Reviews section (the most extensive on the web). There are reviews of products by many makers there with statistics and high quality pictures.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanwei practical hand and a half isn't expensive and it's quite good for the money. I think it's about 110-120 USD.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if they are picky then the words cheap will not be in your vocabulary. i have a Lutel that fit the bill for my first 15thc sword for a blunt.

what is teh required thickness for the edge of the blade? 2 mm or less? if it is less you could use a del tin, they dont come sharpened.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For pure durability and performance, a thin bladed Armour Class is probably the best of-the-shelf option;
http://www.armourclass.co.uk/Data/Pages/Medieval_Main2.htm

3,8-1,9 cm blade is a must, since the blades have the same fuller width regardless of actual blade width.
Not to pretty, but reasonably light, and virtually indestructible.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Tue 16 Oct, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Longsword         Reply with quote

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~5007...+Sword.htm

I ordered this one by Kult of Athena, great folks, fast shipping. Nice sword for the money, comes with a sheath but the sheath is nothing special. The sword itself is fine, nice ricasso too.
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback everyone, sorry it took so long to reply, have been rifling through reviews etc. thanks for everyones input, it will definately help in my quest to find a sword haha. Big Grin
Humans trail a path of light, all land and space that hasnt been trodden by man is dark, all dark must be trodden to bring illumination, so that all others can follow the light that we bring.
James Barker

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Longsword         Reply with quote

Van de Laak wrote:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~500794~name~Long+Sword.htm

I ordered this one by Kult of Athena, great folks, fast shipping. Nice sword for the money, comes with a sheath but the sheath is nothing special. The sword itself is fine, nice ricasso too.

I would double check with any group about that sword; Lord Grey's would never let it in.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: oh...         Reply with quote

May I know why? Thanks.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
May I know why? Thanks.

Most groups require a minimum width of edge. I can't speak for Lord Grey's, but most groups require atleast 2mm thick, with a round tip for safety purposes. The Windlass edge, although not terribly sharp, is most certainly not designed for live steel combat. That is not to say some groups won't allow it, but many will not...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Wed 17 Oct, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks!         Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. I personally use it only for solo practise, so therefore I didn't gave any thought regarding the edge thickness or point sharpness etc. My apologies for suggesting this sword for re-enactment purposes.
James Barker

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is more than the edge; in fact we use Del Tin blades so the edge is not an issue it is the finish of the sword. We do not use anything with nickel plated cross guards or pommels, which this looks to have like many other inexpensive blades do. Also the shape of the pommel and that odd circular piece between the handle and pommel (might be part of the pommel) are not really historical.

On top of that if the handle is suede like the other sword from this company it is not a historical finish to the handle. Modern suede is not the same as suede used in the late Middle Ages or Renaissance anyway; when you see something like shoes or clothing referred too as suede from that time period that means the split side of the leather is outside and the smooth side of a hide is inside.

Granted we hold high standards but I think just about anyone using the title living history for their group is going to reject a sword with such flawed design; as I said double check with the group you are joining before buying.

James Barker
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 18 Oct, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Barker wrote:

On top of that if the handle is suede like the other sword from this company it is not a historical finish to the handle. Modern suede is not the same as suede used in the late Middle Ages or Renaissance anyway; when you see something like shoes or clothing referred too as suede from that time period that means the split side of the leather is outside and the smooth side of a hide is inside.

That's a Windlass sword, not a Gen 2. The handle wrap would be standard MRL black leather, not suede.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Van de Laak

PostPosted: Fri 19 Oct, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: ... maybe a mix-up?         Reply with quote

Indeed, its just simple black leather, nothing special... can always replace it with wire for example. Actually the crossguard and pommel are stainless steel, (not the blade of course), not nickel plated. Circular ring? Perhaps you are referring to another sword?

Anyway, I only use it for solo practise, don't really mind if its exactly 100 % historically correct. (at least when only paying USD170 or so) But I appreciate your comments nonetheless. Thanks.

Again this is the sword:

http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2020
James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Van

Just so you know stainless steel would be out for us also. This is the ring I mean:

Never seen anything like it on a historical example.

James Barker
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the comments and what not, thanks for the info james, although I dont think that circular piece you were talking about would be a problem with the MSS (Medieval seige society) they would probarbly just say, dont leave it on display outside your tent, just use it for re-enactment where you are not under so many eagle eyes and close scrutinys from very accurate historians etc.
Although, blade thickness may be a problem so I take your point on that and its definately something I will have to look into.

thanks again

Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: First Re-Enactment Sword         Reply with quote

Douglas Huxtable wrote:
Hi,
I hope someone can give me some general info on who to get a sword from, what type it should be and how cheap it can be!
We are starting to re-enact and need a sword for live steel the group are fairly picky about how authentic things are but..... as long as it is shaped like a 15th century sword, Im sure there will be no quarell! Big Grin
Obviously we are looking for a novice sword, therefore hopefully cheap, although we do respect that this is often not possible.
Can anyone give some ideas/introduce us to some makers websites where we can find trusty re-enactors swords from the 15th century!
Were generally looking for a one handed sword or a hand and a half, if we can afford it. (My son.)

Thanks

Hi Douglas,

Just to add my opinions - I bought a single handed sword from Armour Class (blunt re-enactment) - it has served me very well, and I use it for both sword and buckler classes, and in WotR re-enactment (15th century) battles. The edge has stood up well to being hit. I have found that it does not burr easily, and it is only now after two years that I have to look to filing down the edges.

It is also very good for technique work in classes as previously mentioned, as they are a reasonable weight and balance.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

If you are based in the UK, perhaps look to coming to The Original Re-enactor's Market held in Ryton on Dunsmore (9th/10th November) - Armour Class will have a stand there, and Phil Fraser usually sells a few good swords on his leather stall. - just type 'TORM' into Google and you'll find details.

Regards,

Fran

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 29 Oct, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could remove that flange quit easily with a hacksaw.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks frances and sean, I will definately look into the market, we saw phil at the last re-enactment we went to, which was herstmonceux this year.
Ill keep my eyes open and thankyou for the feedback. Big Grin

Douglas Huxtable

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was browsing the WWW and found this; http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/practi...8fb54f2ccd its not correct to the period, but looks very similar to this; http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c481.html which I think is, is this 15th cent.?

thanks

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > First Re-Enactment Sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: