Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do you ever find yourself Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Do you ever find yourself         Reply with quote

becoming a little less tolerant of boorish behavior and general inanity? I think it's just that it's spring break season so there's a lot of kids out of school with to much time in their hands. Whatever the reason on several of the forums I frequent (not this one to this point and hence my kudos to Nathan and crew the other day) I've noticed a general upswing in just plain immature or even infantile behavior. Most of the time I try to be helpful and point such folks in the right direction, after all in many cases there is a real enthusiasm there even if the social skills, experience or follow through is lacking. However of late I've been hard pressed not to verbally spank some of these people. Does anyone else find themself in a similar situation?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The phase of the moon may contribute to the effect of spring fever, but the result is as you describe - cranky and childish comments do seem to crop up.
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Often. Then again, I'm just as likely to be the offender. It's so confusing.

JSA
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yes, the older I get the less patience I seem to have with this type of behavior.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

!!!!! Are you trying to tell me I'm getting old Patrick? Surprised
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm afraid its not just that its spring . Theres alot of things I think that contribute to the overall tone of bad behavior
but i've had the luxury of seeing this trend grow "in a box " if you will . Harlan and I have done a ren faire here
for going on nine years so for 14 days ( seven weekends ) we get to see a huge concentration of humanity
in a short period of time and much like the extended family you only see once a year ,see how people change .
The overall behavior has gotten markedly worse the last two years . Last year was the worst ever with folks
working in the booth just having to "walk away " to keep thier cool for the first time ever . Nine times out of ten
the only people worse behaved than the kids running amuck were the parents who were supposed to be watching them .
I swear its not that i'm getting older . This change seems very tangible to me .

Pet peve. I think reality TV has gone a long way twords making bad behavior mainstream .
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Never. I do not visit other forums. Maybe I could broaden my knowledge by going elsewhere too, but I do not have the time to deal with troll behavior. And did I say that this forum is very informative Laughing Out Loud I never had the need to go elsewhere to get my questions answered.

Quote:
Pet peve. I think reality TV has gone a long way twords making bad behavior mainstream .

Two things:
1. Polite conversations are boring, so reality shows based on nice manners will NOT attract viewers.
2. I CANNOT STAND REALITY TV. Making bitching, moaning and unnecessary rudeness cool and popular is a crime, but as long as people watch that @#&%*#@, it is not going to stop!

Alexi
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say I find this forum remarkable-- the first time I congratulated Nathan on another thread I hadn't particularly seen that much of other forums. There is value to be found everywhere, but the tone here is both serious (in the kind of way that still allows for laughs) and refreshing at the same time. An oasis of sanity in a way.

I suspect that the interests upon which this forum is built attract people with somewhat old world sensibilities, thus the sense of impatience towards some of the rudeness and "running amuck" seen today.

I'm afraid I do feel old sometimes. I can remember when I first started to become annoyed with loud music. I can remember equally well when the implications of that irritation dawned on me-- I've become my parents! Big Grin

David
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

I don't know. Maybe you're just an a!!hole Razz

I do agree with Allan, bad behavior seems to be on the rise in general. I suppose we're now reaping the consequences of raising a "me" generation. For the last forty years we've told people to forget about teamwork, community, and the greater good. Just go out and "find yourself" regardless of the consequences. This is what happens when relativism takes hold. Don't get me started.

The only good side is that this philosophy tends to engender job security for me, and a strong target audience for my services Eek!

As for the low key behavior on this forum I think the collective membership deserves a big pat on the back. It's a pretty rare thing to have to do any real moderation around here. I think Nathan moderates me more than anyone else *g* Our members have done a great job of fostering a mature atmoshpere that turns off a lot of the trolls and juvenile types that you see elsewhere. We don't provide a BS rich atmosphere so they can't survive on planet.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lol well I've been accused of worse for sure.

I'll bet people talking about increased bad behavior is no surprise to you Patrick. As you say it's job security. Have you seen a marked increase in that sort of thing over your years as a LEO?

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Lol well I've been accused of worse for sure.

I'll bet people talking about increased bad behavior is no surprise to you Patrick. As you say it's job security. Have you seen a marked increase in that sort of thing over your years as a LEO?

Actually Russ that's an interesting question. As the years have gone by (just went over ten on the job on the 18th) I find that people reacting towards me in a confrontational manner has actually decreased. I don't put that down to society though, but rather how I approach my job. These days I tend to let my mouth do my work for me instead of my fist, at least that's my first initial impulse.

I've found that I can be just as much of a harda** as ever, but if I don't make it into a personal issue people tend to respond much more favorably. At least in my area if I deal with people in this manner they're much more likely to say "Okay, thank you sir" rather than something much more colorful.

We now have three brand new baby bears in our area that we're riding herd on. They're all good men and I'm pretty impressed with all of them (which is unusual for me). But I watch their blue-flame, balls to the wall attitude and find myself saying "slow down son you'll get a more harmonious outcome" more often than not. I've been calling one of them "Young Grasshopper". He's actually started calling himself that, which kind of gives me a warm fuzzy Big Grin

The other Master Trooper and I often look at each other and ask ourselves "Were we like that?" The answer is undeniably "Of course" How embarrassing *g*

Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you ever find yourself         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
becoming a little less tolerant of boorish behavior and general inanity? I think it's just that it's spring break season so there's a lot of kids out of school with to much time in their hands. Whatever the reason on several of the forums I frequent (not this one to this point and hence my kudos to Nathan and crew the other day) I've noticed a general upswing in just plain immature or even infantile behavior. Most of the time I try to be helpful and point such folks in the right direction, after all in many cases there is a real enthusiasm there even if the social skills, experience or follow through is lacking. However of late I've been hard pressed not to verbally spank some of these people. Does anyone else find themself in a similar situation?

Yea, I've noticed this on the highway too. Mad

All those little euro buzz cars seem to be everywhere lately and it drives me nuts Evil

I'm also very sick of teen pop stars and reality shows.

Is this off topic? sorry....rant off Razz

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

If Patrick is not, from experience I will tell you its an intersting symptom of getting old. At least the noticing part.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
James Aldrich

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Nine times out of ten
the only people worse behaved than the kids running amuck were the parents who were supposed to be watching them .
I swear its not that i'm getting older . This change seems very tangible to me .

I have to agree. I've been doing re-enactment/living history for 12 years, mostly before the public and occasionally professionally. The proportion of civilized, attentive, intellectually engaged people has remained constant but the demeanor and behavior of the majority have declined.

JSA
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shut up Joe... Wink
Don Halter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I work at a large university. Every year it seems to be just a tad worse with regards to rudeness, apathy and general attitudes. It's like people are forgetting how to talk in a civilized manner to each other. Granted, I'm getting older as freshmen are always the same age...but there's a definite change. Working in the safety field, we often get the "why are you in my business" treatment. It just seems that lately, people have gone out of their way to be an ass over small issues.
Don "Krag" Halter
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will you kids please keep it down!

I'm trying to get a nap in here.
David Quivey

Reading list: 21 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On behalf of my generation... nah, forget it, I don't think I'd be representing my fellow students "properly" if I apologized (they probably wouldn't apologize). Personally, I feel ashamed some times to view my fellow student's behaviour, not just on forums, but in real life. Mad
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

man, i hope i haven't offended/angered anyone, sorry if i have. It wasn't intentional Worried
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do you ever find yourself
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic