Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL "Viking Sword" query Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joel F.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Sep, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: MRL "Viking Sword" query         Reply with quote

im considering buying the "viking" sword from museum replicas that is listed in their latest catalog.i have though heard some negative things about some of their products.if any one out there has any info or expeierence with this particular sword i would like to hear it. i dont want my first ever sword purchase to be a bust!
2112x1
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joel, I don't know about the MRL Viking sword but I do know that some of MRL's swords are rather nice for the money. However, to eliminate any risk of a "bust" on your first sword, if it's at all possible to be able to spend the kind of money in order to acquire an Albion Viking sword, I would most definitely suggest going that route!
With Albion's Viking swords, one is nicer than the next, in other words all their Viking swords are outstanding, but it is quite a considerable larger sum of money to purchase one of these, because you just cannot go wrong with an Albion Viking sword Exclamation

I hope this helps and the best of good fortune on your first sword, to me this is an almost sacred selection, at least it was for me. I went with the Arms & Armor "German Bastard Sword" because it most reflected my personality, physical being and spirit.

Sincerely!

Bob
Nick B.

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: MRL Viking Sword         Reply with quote

Joel,
I have owned some MRL swords in the past but not this one. Their swords are good for the money but why not go a little more money for alot more sword. I would go for the Albion Squire or better still the Albion Squire Vinland or Clontarf from Viking Shield. Even if you have to wait alittle longer, it will be worth the wait.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: MRL "Viking Sword" query         Reply with quote

Joel F. wrote:
im considering buying the "viking" sword from museum replicas that is listed in their latest catalog.i have though heard some negative things about some of their products.if any one out there has any info or expeierence with this particular sword i would like to hear it. i dont want my first ever sword purchase to be a bust!

I have had a couple of their swords and have been able to examine quite a few more. They are a good buy for the money. Depending on what you intend to do with the sword, it can be a good place to start or a mistake. For display and casual wear that is a good buy. I do not know about use in mock combat as I don't do that myself, but I am sure that others can address that, if it is important to you.

Overall quality of the MRL line has improved significantly over the last few years and they offer a nice variety at this time.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://kriscutlery.com/medieval/viking.html

I would consider the above to be a "better buy" for the money than the Windlass Viking. It will be sturdier, come sharp, and be a bit more "authentic", in that at least the pommel will be peened and riveted, rather than of the screw-on type.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL "Viking Sword" query
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic