Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Windlass Coustille Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: New Windlass Coustille         Reply with quote

Looks like they are revisiing an older piece, and keeping both in the line:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/s...tille.aspx

No stats.

Thoughts?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps they're trying for Young Master Brandybuck's barrow-sword? Wink

-Jess

Attachment: 58.4 KB
rotk_merry_pippin2.JPG

Jesse D. Zinn
North Carolina

“Hwæt wé Gár-Dena in geár-dagum
þéod-cyninga þrym gefrúnon,
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon."
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Windlass Coustille         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Looks like they are revisiing an older piece, and keeping both in the line:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/s...tille.aspx

No stats.

Thoughts?

I kind of liked their old coustile. Maybe I'll get one of these.

Jean

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the old one is stil available as well.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I think the old one is stil available as well.

They look quite similar. Would I be naive in presuming that the new one might be in some ways improved or more refined? Their designs seem to be getting a bit more sophisticated and robust over the years.

jean

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:

They look quite similar. Would I be naive in presuming that the new one might be in some ways improved or more refined? Their designs seem to be getting a bit more sophisticated and robust over the years.

jean

Actually, they're quite different. Happy The style of wheel pommel is different (flat boss vs. recessed), the grip is different (more rounded vs. more straight with two grooves in it), the guard is different (simple curved vs. down-turned knobbed tips), and the blade is different (narrow fuller vs. wider fuller).

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

jean

Actually, they're quite different. Happy The style of wheel pommel is different (flat boss vs. recessed), the grip is different (more rounded vs. more straight with two grooves in it), the guard is different (simple curved vs. down-turned knobbed tips), and the blade is different (narrow fuller vs. wider fuller).

Happy

But, other than that, they're very similar Laughing Out Loud

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

jean

Happy

But, other than that, they're very similar Laughing Out Loud

Ah good! In case I ever forget I'm an idiot I'll open my big mouth again Big Grin

So which one is "better"? Does the second attempt represent some kind of progression? Or just a parrallel design? Is one more period or realistic or functional than the other based on what little we know from the photos?

J

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah good! In case I ever forget I'm an idiot I'll open my big mouth again Big Grin

So which one is "better"? Does the second attempt represent some kind of progression? Or just a parrallel design? Is one more period or realistic or functional than the other based on what little we know from the photos?

J

I think the new one looks more historic, but that's just me. It also may represent a slightly earlier period, but that's a guess.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 23 Aug, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I ordered the New Coustille last night from Kult of Athena around 11:30 P.M. and got an e-mail from Kult of Athena at
11:00 A.M. the very next day that my order was shipped and the tracking information. Eek!

I've said it before but this is amazingly fast service and seems like typical from KoA as every order for something in stock seemed to get processed the next working day !

Oh, I will give my impressions about it when I get it sometime next week. ( Usually 5 to 10 days for shipments to arrive ).

Now, I just have to learn a bit how my " new " digital camera works and maybe start adding pics to my informal reviews. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the old Coustile and I put a very sharp edge on it, starting with a fine file, then to the stones and finally to very fine sandpaper wrapped around a small piece of oak. Result, one very sharp mammoth dagger! Perhaps I will get the new Coustile as well. My wife has the Coustile's little brother which has a 14 inch blade as opposed to the 17 inch blade of the old Coustile. The dagger is the Sword Hilted Medieval Dagger also by Windlass. Which I also put the same edge on it too, it has a real nice feel to it as mammoth daggers go. Laughing Out Loud

Bob

Jean, I am "So Lucky" to live a half hour from Kult of Athena! You'd be impressed, Wow what a Showroom!
Ryan is one heck of a nice guy! A Roman reinactor and a captain with 50 men under him.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am also looking at the Coustille for a dagger. I have read a little about them and was just wondering what time period this would work for. 1340-1360? To early or to late? Or just right. I am hoping to be able to look at this tomorrow when I make my first trip to Kult of Athena. I am not as lucky as you though Bob, it is more like an hour plus drive for me from the South side. Wink
Caleb Hallgren

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well, I ordered the New Coustille last night from Kult of Athena around 11:30 P.M. and got an e-mail from Kult of Athena at
11:00 A.M. the very next day that my order was shipped and the tracking information. Eek!

I've said it before but this is amazingly fast service and seems like typical from KoA as every order for something in stock seemed to get processed the next working day !

Oh, I will give my impressions about it when I get it sometime next week. ( Usually 5 to 10 days for shipments to arrive ).

Now, I just have to learn a bit how my " new " digital camera works and maybe start adding pics to my informal reviews. Wink

So Jean, how is the new Coustille?
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Caleb Hallgren wrote:

Yeah...how is it? Big Grin

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 16 Sep, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Caleb Hallgren wrote:

Yeah...how is it? Big Grin

Yes I have been neglectful Blush

Short answer I like it a lot: The grip is solid and shows no looseness. I don't think it's peened but I'm not putting it in a vice to find out if the pommel is screwed on or not.

The leather grip has a stitched seam on one side and the leather looks nice. The scabbard actually fits very well which is not what is usually the case for Windlass scabbard at least in the past: Don't know if this is something one can generally expect now or just luck with this one ? In any case the Windlass products seem to be getting better all the time.

The blade steel seems well heat treated as a file will byte into it but barely. I sharpened the blade with a belt grinder to almost sharp and finished the job with a diamond hone: paper cutting sharp.

The " original finish " is very mirror polished but not covered with any lacquer making antiquing a lot easier.
I did a bit of the lemon juice and yellow mustard aging of the blade followed by some repolishing and then bluing of the blade and guard. The steel of the pommel and guard sort of turns more purple than blue and seems to be made of a different alloy than the blade, but the effect is nice.

Overall the size of this dagger is just at the the point where it's almost a short sword but handles like a dagger in my opinion. It sort of reminds me of my Albion Sovereign at 1/3 scale.

As soon as I figure out my new digital camera I will have to start posting pics on this Topic and others that need pics like the Dordogne sword that now has a new handle wrap, deep blued furniture and the blade with a satin finish instead of the mirror bright one it originally had.

Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the "New" Coustill and I have just ordered the older one for $68.
I agree with Jean, it's a nice piece.
Hi Jean! Big Grin
I am in the process of making a Texas Ren Fair outfit to show case my Type XIV and New Coustille.
I got the older Coustille for my short wife to wear as a "short"sword to go with her new garb. No short jokes, please.
This year should be interesting.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the look of this piece, but don't like the pseudo-ricasso thing (the thickened part of the blade by the guard that shows in Kult of Athena's photos).

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad: Funny I sort of like the pseudo-ricasso but I admit it is probably not period authentic, if that is what you mean ? Or maybe you just don't like the look of it? And that's fine as we don't always have to like the same things, but I am curious to know exactly why? Big Grin Cool
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Chad: Funny I sort of like the pseudo-ricasso but I admit it is probably not period authentic, if that is what you mean ? Or maybe you just don't like the look of it? And that's fine as we don't always have to like the same things, but I am curious to know exactly why? Big Grin Cool

It looks ahistoric and unnecessary to me at least. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have not been over to Kult of Athena in a month or so and I've yet to see the new Coustile, but when I go, I will bring my old Coustile with me. By the way, Ryan and his wife are leaving for Scotland and England to see castles and museums including The Wallace Collection and will be back on October 3rd.

My Coustile as with any Windlass swords or daggers that I've bought has been sharpened to the level of being ready to go into battle Laughing Out Loud I've had the Coustile and it's little brother the Sword Hilted Dagger which has a 14 inch blade
(some little brother eh) for well over a year now. Actually, my wife and I went ot Kult of Athena together the day both of these were purchased. I went specifically for the Coustile and asked Gayle if she saw something she liked and she said she liked the Sword Hilted Dagger "not knowing what I had selected". So I bought it for her, she has 3 daggers, including the Elector of Saxony dagger with ornate scabbard by Arms & Armor. This 14 inch blade dagger is a very nice dagger, balanced beautifully and quite barbaric looking. Another humorous thing is the fact that after almost 2 years contemplating my first sword I selected the Arms & Armor "German Bastard Sword" and out of all the swords I've bought, 12 premium and 6 very good midrange, my wife likes the German Bastard Sword the most, she says it's absolutely gorgeous!
I guess I am very lucky to have a wife who in personality is soft spoken, very attractive, a Very High IQ but humble about it, her passion is gardening, but yet she has a definite Barbarian taste in things!
She also likes the Coustile a whole lot too! She said it would be a great "sword" for her (she is 5' 2 1/2").
Another area in which I am so lucky is the fact that Gayle thinks that our hobby of passion is one of the most worthwhile interests that anyone could have! That we (the members of myArmoury) are preserving a very important segment and specific areas of medieval history! "When Gayle said that (we) she did in fact specifically refer to this website!
Because she knows how much myArmoury has done for me and she is Very Grateful to Nathan Robinson and
myArmoury, she has specifically mentioned such on a number of occasions!
OK, I know I drifted a bit from the topic of the new Coustile but I wanted to let everyone know about my wife's very positive attitude towards all of us and specifically this website Exclamation

Sincerely!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Windlass Coustille
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: