Interesting embossment
Hello!
I found this building in London, if I remember right, not far from the Westminster Abbey.
Does anybody have any idea what these embossments are? Those guys in armour could be crusaders, but that woman with that sword... I have no idea.
Unfortunately I didn't make any picture from the whole building. Maybe next time :)

Attachment: 27.81 KB
IMG_2366.JPG

Attachment: 35.43 KB
IMG_2367.JPG

It's a bit difficult to put a name to the iconography with out the actual context of the building. Is it Whitehall?
Looks definitely Victorian Gothic Revival in style. The lady could be Ethelfleda (Aetheflaed) 'The Lady Of the Mercia' daughter of King Alfred. Check out wikipedia for this redoubtable ladies story.

Best

Dave
David Huggins wrote:
It's a bit difficult to put a name to the iconography with out the actual context of the building. Is it Whitehall?
Looks definitely Victorian Gothic Revival in style. The lady could be Ethelfleda (Aetheflaed) 'The Lady Of the Mercia' daughter of King Alfred. Check out wikipedia for this redoubtable ladies story.

Best

Dave

Thank you for your idea! I checked wikipedia, as you recommended. Interesting story this Ethelfledas story. I will search the internet for more information about her.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: