Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fixing Windlass Hilts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Fixing Windlass Hilts         Reply with quote

I just read Bill Grandy's review if the Windlass Sword of St. Michael. I like the sword, and the review looks positive, ecept the notation about the lose grip. I have in the past used Gorilla Glue inside a Windlass Hilt to tighten it up, but that hilt had a screw on pommel. Is the pommel on the Sword of St. Michael peened, or it it screw on?

I am hopeful the Gorilla Glue is actually a good long term solution, but breaking off a peen and re-peening is simply beyond my skill. Please advise.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
The pommel is peened. The sword remained exactly as it was in the review: There is a slight "click" noise if you swing it quickly and bring it to a dead stop in mid-swing, but it hasn't gotten worse. It seems like they didn't do a great job putting the hilt together, but otherwise it isn't terrible.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Bill.

I was just wondering if there is a simple way to fix that problem. I cannot imagine being able to successfully use a shim that would not fall out. I am much more likely to use glue, or some other expanding substance that can fill in a gap and not fall apart under the pressure of cutting or even dry handling.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony,
Do you have one of these and is its hilt loose? It's quite possible not every example is loose. With Windlass, it's always variable. If yours ends up being a loose one, you can always try to repeen the hilt: http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/bonk_eng.htm .

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Chad.

I do not have one of these, but I love the look and specs of the sword. I am just concerned that if I get one, I will be bummed out with a loose hilt. Thanks also for that instruction on tightening a loose hilt, i think I could do that.
J. Pav

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed, not all are perfect. Though the one in question is a tad loose, mine came nice and tight. It has yet to give the impression of loosening during any of the swinging(though admittedly not much) I've put it through.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have only one Windlass from the past decade that I have had apart. In other instances that have been discussed, I think my experience agrees with other's that have had more recent stuff apart. The openings in the cross are often oversize to the blades because of the tang itself often being thicker than the blade crossection at the shoulders. In my case, the cross had to clear the 5/16" (8mm) threaded tang to finally seat against shoulders of a crossection much thinner. Mine had a click right from the start but I did not take it apart for quite some hours of use.

On any compression type hilt, threaded or peened, wedges can be inserted from the grip side of the cross if the sword is dismantled. Others have used epoxies or wedges from the blade side but it is a problem best resolved with the sword taken down. One could even braze, or silver solder the cross opening to a smaller dimension and then open it up to a tight fit with files.

This is one real advantage to the Albion method of assembly. Although both methods are seen in historical circumstance, the compression method is more prone to wiggles and loosening. This is especially true in mass production expedience.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Thu 30 Aug, 2007 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem with my Windlass European Sword. My response was to take the whole thing apart. That was about two years ago. While I figure I can get the thing back together, its not worth it. looking back on it, I think the best thing to do is remove the grip, leaving the pommel in place and rebuild the grip. I really wish I had done this, as I now have to put the pommel back into place AND rebuild the grip. Eek!

Good luck!

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fixing Windlass Hilts
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic