Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > i cant believe this is in theaters Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Mike H

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: i cant believe this is in theaters         Reply with quote

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1809355123
This movie looks terrible, Im surprised it made it in the theaters, it looks good enough to be a scifi original picture on the scifi channel.

Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes- pope John Paul II
Tim May

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, at least you have to give it credit for historical accuracy.
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why do they have to tie it to King Arthur?
"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the inclusion of what sounds like Byzantine Ninjas.

Romans, barbarians, bizoninjas....if they add in some pirates how can it be anything but great?! Wink

Its to entertain, not to educate. Still I am surprised it got funded as a feature release since the previews sound so much like Gladiator that it gives the impression of being a cheap ripoff.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heheheh another funny movie Big Grin I like mainly everlasting,universal and essential 'warrior princess' theme... Big Grin Big Grin
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Dan P

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Despite its grave historical inaccuracy, the modern archetype of the "warrior princess" fighting in ancient times serves a vital social purpose in the modern era, captured in this dynamic conversational transcript between a guy, hypothetically named "Dan", and the woman "W" he is involved with:

W: I don't want to see a movie that has swords and fighting in it. Lets go see "Bridget Jones Diary".
Dan: But THIS movie has a STRONG WOMAN in it doing the fighting. You can support WOMAN'S RIGHTS by seeing it.
W: Oh Ok.

Thus the warrior princess saves the day again, keeping me out of bad movies and watching exciting ones even if I am with a person of the opposite gender.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the idea of the woman warrior has been around a long, long time. Amazons and all that.

In fiction, at least, it has a distinguished history.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course there were some women who fought bravely in past... I just believe not like those seen in movies...By the way-that sword is another piece made of holywoodium -put in the stone for years and no sign of rust Wink
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Excellently put, Dan! Big Grin

I like the fact that Hollywood has turned its' eyes on sword movies again... But(!) I think it's a shambles that everything has to be so politically correct. Using "historical" films to change attitudes and meanings is very misleading. I wish someone could try to show things from a different angle, trying to show things in the light in which the people who really were there would. And of course add a little bit of historical accuracy. Happy Ah well! One can only dream!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, but I think I'll hold out for the new Elizabeth movie....
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a 4-page discussion on RAT, which I haven't read. And no, I have no intention of seeing this or any ancient or medieval "historical" movie ever again, fiction or not. I'll stick with Planet of the Apes--that's where these costume all came from, anyway!

http://www.romanarmy.nl/rat/viewtopic.php?t=9...07a94e0c52

Matthew
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the number of people in Hollywood jumping on the pseudo-historical Arthurian bandwagon, I can't figure out why someone hasn't tried to do Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles. It would make a much better film (or films) than these others, as well as being slightly more historically accurate, if they stuck close to the books.
Gloria Virtutem Sequitur
Martin Wilkinson

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
With the number of people in Hollywood jumping on the pseudo-historical Arthurian bandwagon, I can't figure out why someone hasn't tried to do Bernard Cornwell's The Warlord Chronicles. It would make a much better film (or films) than these others, as well as being slightly more historically accurate, if they stuck close to the books.

Good point. But it being Hollywood, they'd change everything, it would in very few ways resemble the books... which would be a great shame. Personally, i think i'd rather see the Warlord Chronicles as a tv mini-series.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wilkinson wrote:
R. D. Simpson wrote:

Good point. But it being Hollywood, they'd change everything, it would in very few ways resemble the books... which would be a great shame. Personally, i think i'd rather see the Warlord Chronicles as a tv mini-series.

Yeah, after seeing what they did with "Rome" I imagine that HBO could do wonders with The Warlord Chronicles.

Gloria Virtutem Sequitur
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually went to see this film yesterday. I would like to point out that the film is actually quite historically accurate in some points. For example, there really was a Roman Empire. There is also a large island, which still exists to this day, that was once called Britannia by the Romans.

Beyond that …, well, there are a few names that someone picked out of the history books, some event places and dates distorted by someone’s poor memory, some very, um, imaginative armory work, and the film makes the quick trip down the slippery slope from historical to hysterical.

If I try to ignore the history problems for a moment, I still think that the film was mediocre, at best. Some, IMO, fine actors (e.g., Colin Firth, Sir Ben Kingsley) working with material that is beneath them.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant believe this is in theaters         Reply with quote

Mike H wrote:
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1809355123
This movie looks terrible, Im surprised it made it in the theaters, it looks good enough to be a scifi original picture on the scifi channel.

Guess I'm a bit confused how anyone can divine "good" or "bad" of a movie based on the scant information on that yahoo page. The fact that it may well be an excretable mess notwithstanding, I think this particular community has to take a deep breath and come to terms with the fact that no commercial movie maker wants to make a 100% correct historical documentary. And here's a radical idea: Nor should he/she.

I don't go to movies for historical accuracy. Silly me. I want to be entertained, amused, amazed, laugh, cry, smile. I like to see imagination unleashed.

The "sword geeks" really should unclench and stop saying BS like, "there's no excuse for getting it (whatever the heck it is) wrong." Guess what? They didn't get it wrong. It didn't look right on screen for the dramatic shot.

And this one is to those who make up "friends" and claim that these "friends" think that what they saw in the movies is what actually happened historically, stop lying. Maybe I hang around more intelligent people, but NO ONE I talked to in the last ten years or more EVER believed what they saw in a commercial film was historical fact.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: i cant believe this is in theaters         Reply with quote

Stephen S. Han wrote:
Guess I'm a bit confused how anyone can divine "good" or "bad" of a movie based on the scant information on that yahoo page. The fact that it may well be an excretable mess notwithstanding, I think this particular community has to take a deep breath and come to terms with the fact that no commercial movie maker wants to make a 100% correct historical documentary. And here's a radical idea: Nor should he/she.

Certainy, a movie can be very good while still being historically inaccurate! "I, Claudius" had even worse costumes and armor than "Gladiator", but was SO well scripted, acted, and directed that it will always be a classic. "Eric the Viking" was a scream. "The Wind and the Lion" was totally bogus history, and is simply a thrill to watch every time. BUT that's the point--if the history and appearance is crap, the script, acting, and directing have to be good to make it a good movie. A few stills from a movie can indeed be VERY revealing, since costuming like what we've seen for "Last Legion" is really just not likely to be accompanied by Oscar-winning acting and directing. Let's be realistic about this.

Quote:
And this one is to those who make up "friends" and claim that these "friends" think that what they saw in the movies is what actually happened historically, stop lying. Maybe I hang around more intelligent people, but NO ONE I talked to in the last ten years or more EVER believed what they saw in a commercial film was historical fact.

Well, I do public living history events and school demos, and there are ALWAYS people who are shocked to learn that "Gladiator" and "King Arthur" and "300" are NOT history! Even teachers. It's pretty clear that the vast majority of any movie's audience simply accepts it at face value. It's true that many of them (though probably not most) would have some doubts if they stopped to think about it, but this is hardly a "stop and think" world. Some might be inspired to do a little research, but what will they learn from Wikipedia? All I'm saying is that these movies DO mislead the public about history, when in most cases they could have been made MORE historical for LESS money and effort. Don't the producers want to make more money?

I'm also a little peeved about how often I'm told to "lighten up" when I say that I simply don't want to see some hyped new flick that's come out, such as "300" or "Last Legion". Isn't it all right that I just don't want to? *You* don't have to justify your cinematographic likes and dislikes, so why must I?

Matthew
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew,

I don't want to start some kind of a flme war, but... Laughing Out Loud

Please note that I didn't start this thread which showed a sweeping statement about a movie the Original poster has not even seen.

I would not presume to tell anyone what to like or don't like, however, I do take issue with people who tell me in a pompous, condescending, elitist tone that the movie I am considering seeing is "historically inaccurate" thus implying that I must be a cretin or a buffoon. I am not specifically pointing at you, since your post did not contain such attitude. My rant was pointed toward those "historical accuracy Nazis" whose tiresome mantra of "it's not historically accurate, therefore garbage" gets thrown in my face.

I do disagree with you about historically accurate costs less. I read magazine articles about extraordinary costs involved in getting every detail as closely historical as possible for the movie "Last of the Mohicans" which involved minute recreation of uniform buttons and such. It is far less costly to make up something and cut a template.

And lastly (for now Happy ) the above rant is not reserved exclusively for "sword geeks." I am equally impatient with someone who says something like, "Saving Private Ryan was okay until they messed up the Waffen SS soldiers' haircuts. It ruined the whole movie for me." Why oh why do these people allow a minute "mistakes" ruin their life's experiences? Of course we all know these mistakes don't ruin anything, but these people feel the need to say something which in their minds make them superior to we lowly peasants who don't know about the haircut patterns of the Waffen SS. Razz
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Calm down, people. Jeez..
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Shamsi Modarai

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was actually kind of looking forward to this movie until I found out that Aishwarya Rai (aka that one girl who is in all those Bollywood movies my sisters watch) was playing a "warrior princess" in it. Call me prejudiced, but after learning that I didn't even need to see the trailer to know that the movie would no longer be on my "must see list." Razz

Tis a pity, because that deliciously intense fellow who plays Lucius Vorenus in Rome is in it too. Ah well......

Wa bið þam þe sceal of langoþe leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > i cant believe this is in theaters
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: