Interesting pictures of a ballistic test
Some interesting pictures of a ballistic test with a crossbow, warhammer, sharp sword, a "morgenstern"/mace ? and a "hakenbüchse" gun cal. 22mm (sorry but I do not know the English word for hakenbüchse...) vs. chain mail, harness and helmet seen at following links:

The equipment:

http://www.hollywoodritter.de/bilder/2007/gal...sstest.htm

The test:

http://www.hollywoodritter.de/bilder/2007/gal...t_dreh.htm

some more pictures of the location where the ballistic test was made (a blacksmithshop for wrought iron work in south Germany):

http://www.hollywoodritter.de/bilder/2007/galileo/schmiede.htm

The full test was aired in German TV at the beginning of the year. Unfortunately I missed the programm and the show was not rebroadcasted...
Interesting, although it might have been more better if they shot at longer distances.

Hakenbüchse is harquebus.
Neat series of shots.

Also I'm sure it was fun to do too.
J. Lee wrote:

Hakenbüchse is harquebus.

Great, thank you. That was the word I am looking for.

@all

by the way: I have found the pictures of the test by surfing in web at the beginning of last week. After seeing the location and the warhammer I decided to contact the guy who runs the blacksmith shop. And yes, part of his buisness is creation of medieaval weapons (made to order). He was very friendly and even sent me a hardcopy catalogue (quite impressive) of some of his medieval arms and armour creations. But he told me that he can do everything and the photos in his catalogue are from client's orders in the past. He needs only a picture and a detailed description.

We agreed that I can visit him in September. His company is not so far from Munich. After the visit I can send a detailed report of my impressions of his work here in this forum. (if desired...)

For more details here is his webpage (there is an english version of the page available, too )

www.lonetalschmiede.de
Nifty stuff. And plenty of neat pictures.

I am curious about the specs on the armour. How thick? Material? Construction of the mail/

Thanks. The harquebus was impressive :D
Steven H wrote:
...How thick? Material?...

Hi,

I've been there in his forge, yesterday.

The tested breastplate and helmet are still there as items on display.

Thickness of breastplate and helmet is 2,5mm. The material is mild steel.

By the way:
After seeing his great work I could not resist to order a sword. :)
We discussed following: 1,5 handled, blade length 90cm (slender blade), s-formed cross-guard, wheel pommel and satin matt brushed.
A little bit inspired by the swords seen in the paintings and drawings of Albrecht Dürer.
Delivery date should be by end of october /beginning of november. I'm so excited...;)

After receipt I will post some pics here.

Best

Oliver
What kind of lock is it on the Harquebus?
Martin Wilkinson wrote:
What kind of lock is it on the Harquebus?

Unfortunately the harquebus is not there anymore and I did not ask him about the lock of the harquebus.
But I can ask him next time.
It looks to be a matchlock of Indian manufacture, probably a good 100-200 years old. It's a good sized one too, and with the proper powder charge would be a good model for just such a test. Not many armours could stand up to a full-sized musket at close range like that.

Cheers!

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: