Go to page 1, 2  Next

A&A stikes again... my custom rapier is finished!
I just received pictures from Craig at Arms and Armor today of my impatiently awaited rapier that I commissioned them to do. This is a piece is roughly based on one out of the Stibbert museum, whose picture I found right here in the myArmoury galleries. The original has a lot of fluting on the bars that I opted out of (can't afford to have EVERYTHING perfect, which I have no doubt A&A can do). A&A was a pleasure to deal with, and the sword was completed amazingly fast in just four months.

Without further adieu, the pictures:

Attachment: 13.23 KB
GrandyOL001.jpg
Full length shot.

Attachment: 44.93 KB
GrandyH1002.jpg
Hilt closeup.

Attachment: 27.78 KB
shellrapier.jpg
The original on which mine was based upon.
Oh wow. That's absolutely outstanding Bill! Congratulations! We of course expect a full review...
Russ Ellis wrote:
Oh wow. That's absolutely outstanding Bill! Congratulations! We of course expect a full review...

Nah, I think after I receive it I'll just box it up and send it right back to A&A. After all, it doesn't look that impressive.

Wow, even though I'm joking, I still wanted to punch myself at the thought of sending this back! ;)
Re: A&A stikes again... my custom rapier is finished!
Bill Grandy wrote:
I just received pictures from Craig at Arms and Armor today of my impatiently awaited rapier that I commissioned them to do. This is a piece is roughly based on one out of the Stibbert museum, whose picture I found right here in the myArmoury galleries. The original has a lot of fluting on the bars that I opted out of (can't afford to have EVERYTHING perfect, which I have no doubt A&A can do). A&A was a pleasure to deal with, and the sword was completed amazingly fast in just four months.

Without further adieu, the pictures:

Bill,

Wow :cool: Congrats, I can't wait to see more pictures & stats. Another outstanding job from Craig & the crew at Arms & Armor!
You know Bill you are right. In fact I think I should provide you with the address so you can do just that. 309 Exeter Oak Drive...
Very nice, Bill .....
But ya know ....with a little more hand protection, a little more blade, they could'a made a nice baskethilt outta that baby *g*

Seriously .... that's a wonderful piece! Congrats to ya, Mac
Bill,

Since I know that you will be using this beauty as a practice rapier. I was wondering if it was your idea to extend the quillons out further, indicating function over form? ;)
Congrats Bill,
Fine looking rapier,
Congrats on a new beauty! A&A never fails to impress! :cool:
Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Bill,

Since I know that you will be using this beauty as a practice rapier. I was wondering if it was your idea to extend the quillons out further, indicating function over form? ;)

No, that was all A&A's doing. I basically only said, "Here's basically what I want, you guys take whatever creative liberties you feel are necessary."
Hmm...
Bill Grandy wrote:
Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Bill,

No, that was all A&A's doing. I basically only said, "Here's basically what I want, you guys take whatever creative liberties you feel are necessary."

Is it just me, or is it a bit short in the blade, compared to A&A's other rapiers? Looks like a quick little swashbuckler.

I absolutely love that hilt. It's a really great thing when you can just leave something up to the artisan's creativity and have something as elegant as that come out as a result. That tells you a lot about the artists who created it.

Congrats on yer new girl, Bill! :D
Bill Grandy wrote:
Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Bill,

Cool. I really like what A&A did with them in comparison to the original.

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Is it just me, or is it a bit short in the blade, compared to A&A's other rapiers? Looks like a quick little swashbuckler.

Jeremiah,

Bill mentioned (on another forum) that he requested the blade be 43" long from the quillon block. Which is a proper length for the practice of Italian rapier. So it is not a "little swashbuckler" in terms of the Errol Flynn style of swordplay. ;)
Well chosen and well executed.

I also got photos af a custom sword they finished for me yesterday.
Sigh
Wow! That rapier is nice now but wait until Bill get's his hands on it.

When was the last time you cleaned one of your swords ;)

Bring that rapier over and I'll scuff it all up for you. That way it won't feel any different than the rest of your weapons :D

I guess that's what happens when you get to actually USE your swords :(

Congrats!!!
Be sure to let us know when it arrives. I can't wait to see some pictures of the inner guard :!:

Stephen
I've been silent about this piece since I wanted to wait until the review was finished and published, and since it's up now, I figured I'd post another photo that Craig had taken, side by side with the original piece. It shows how the guard really isn't any longer than the original, it's just a trick of the camera angle.

Attachment: 56.69 KB
comparison.jpg

Hi Bill,

Great review. Well, you already know how much I like your rapier. The work that Craig & the guys produce is nothing short of amazing!
Stephen Fisher was playing around with photoshop and made this really cool background that I thought I'd share.

Attachment: 96.98 KB
billgrandyrapiersm.jpg

Cool!

I love that Rapier Bill. I think it's one of my favorites.

I really think that A&A offers the best Rapiers on the production market. I've been very happy with every one I've ever owned. If my limited budget didn't force me to stick to my main periods of intrest I'd probably own one of each from their catalog.
A very sweet rapier! A&A certainly has the knack for the lines of the originals.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: