Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hungarian cavalry at Mohacs Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Rodolfo Martínez

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How do you reload a crossbow while mounted? WTF?!
¨Sólo me desenvainarás por honor y nunca me envainarás sin gloria¨
Toni Lozica

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Lafayette C Curtis"]
Nick Trueman wrote:
A couple of pics, Im starting to develop a interest in this period myself. I have what I think is a later Hungarian hussar and a Ukrainian hussar.

They're both the work of Velimir Vuksic, and I'm not sure about the copyright issues involved here--are you sure these are posted with his permission?

About the pictures themselves, though, the first is clearly meant to represent the later kind of "heavy" hussar, and if I remember correctly it was of a Hungarian hussar. I remember the second being captioned as an officer serving with the hussars raised from Czobor, although I'm not sure where that place is.

This is rather close but not really. Please check out this site with some Velimir Vuksic drawings, who is actually Croatian artist.

http://public.carnet.hr/husar/

For your information Croats and Hungarians were in crown union as from beginning of 12th century and remained so till the fall of Austrian-Hungarian empire.
A lot of fighting, or better to say the most fighting, against Turks was done by Croats and Serbians who found a refuge on Croatian territories and were seen as Croats only of orthodox fate.
Check some works if you can on so called Military border that was organized on Croatian territories bordering Ottoman empire by empress Maria Theresia of Austria
Also in Mohacs battle the troops that came too late to save Hungarians were Croats under Petar Zrinjski and Transylvanians under Ivan Zapolya. If they would have been there in time with total of abt 10-15.000 troops who can say how the battle could have ended?
On the other hand it seems that on the Turkish side the largest part of the army consisted of Bosnian Muslims.
I tried to check some sources on the internet but they are all quite inconsistent when it comes to numbers of participants as well as casualties on both sides.
Somehow, I must say, I feel a lack of knowledge among participants commenting on this forum whenever it comes on confrontation between Europeans and Ottomans.
I'll try to make a task for myself to check some more sources that are mostly not to be found on internet and are mostly in Croatian or Serbian when I get some more time.
I mean, here I'm talking about almost 400 years of permanent state of war between super powers of that time. A state of war that has been fought by maybe less significant peoples like Croats, Serbs, Bosnians etc, but if it were not them, who knows whether today we would not be writing here in Arabic or Turkish instead of English. And all the credit goes to more "important" peoples.

I sincerely apologize for maybe being somewhat nationalistic but the history and wars of West Balkans is so compelling that all other just seems, I don't know how to say......., boring or something like that. No offense please.

Parce mihi Domine quia Dalmata sum!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
How do you reload a crossbow while mounted? WTF?!

Most of the time, you don't. You loose a bolt and then charge or fall into formation in the rear ranks of a charging wedge--that's what the German mounted crossbowmen seem to have been meant to do. If you can ride far enough from the enemy, though, you'd usually be able to use the crossbow's stirrup to pin its end under your foot while you draw the string back by hand, with a goat's foot lever, or with a small cranequin. You'll just have to make sure that your horse is sufficiently well trained that it doesn't mistake the movements involved for horsemanship cues.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some ottoman miniatures about the battle of Mohács, i hope You din't know them. One of them is the hungarian royal council in the hung. camp, the other is the battle order, the others are duells between hungarian and ottoman noblemen. The plate armour was the child-armour of II. Louis; the horse battle is from the Thuróczy Cronic (with the mounted archer with crossbow on the left) The man with the pavise is Janos Hunyadi;(these two drawings were made in the 15. Cent.) and the last picture shows a 16. Cent. hung. grave plate.

Zoltán

Attachment: 50.29 KB
HPIM5210.JPG
the hung. council by mohács

Attachment: 46.83 KB
HPIM5212.JPG
the hungarian army center by Mohács

Attachment: 59.65 KB
HPIM5213.JPG
duell between hung. and ottoman noblemen

Attachment: 54.22 KB
HPIM5214.JPG
duell between hung. and ottoman noblemen

Attachment: 40.9 KB
HPIM5209.JPG
Child-armour, II. Louis of Hungary

Attachment: 53.97 KB
HPIM5216.JPG
Horsemen's battle, Thurócy Cronic

Attachment: 37.9 KB
HPIM5215.JPG
Hunyadi János, father of Mathias Corvinus. Thurócy Cronic, 15. Cent.

Attachment: 28.73 KB
HPIM5208.JPG
Hungarian nobleman's grave plate, 16. Cent.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll send some larger pics from the hungarian knights tomorrow.
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jul, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!

Here are some better pics about the battle of Mohács; (my favourite objects are the different kinds of saddles-the heavy cavalry used mostly in contrast with the west european knights easter-type saddles. The construction of these was the same from the 9. Cent. to the 19. Century. With the hussars it became popular in Europe, and it was the prototype of the modern saddle)

Zoltán

Attachment: 40.88 KB
HPIM5221.JPG

Attachment: 51.67 KB
HPIM5222.JPG

Attachment: 52.54 KB
HPIM5223.JPG

Attachment: 46.44 KB
HPIM5224.JPG

Attachment: 32.08 KB
HPIM5226.JPG

Attachment: 44.57 KB
HPIM5230.JPG

Attachment: 36.52 KB
HPIM5234.JPG

Attachment: 39.88 KB
HPIM5235.JPG

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Toni Lozica"]
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Nick Trueman wrote:
A couple of pics, Im starting to develop a interest in this period myself. I have what I think is a later Hungarian hussar and a Ukrainian hussar.

They're both the work of Velimir Vuksic, and I'm not sure about the copyright issues involved here--are you sure these are posted with his permission?

About the pictures themselves, though, the first is clearly meant to represent the later kind of "heavy" hussar, and if I remember correctly it was of a Hungarian hussar. I remember the second being captioned as an officer serving with the hussars raised from Czobor, although I'm not sure where that place is.

This is rather close but not really. Please check out this site with some Velimir Vuksic drawings, who is actually Croatian artist.

http://public.carnet.hr/husar/

For your information Croats and Hungarians were in crown union as from beginning of 12th century and remained so till the fall of Austrian-Hungarian empire.
A lot of fighting, or better to say the most fighting, against Turks was done by Croats and Serbians who found a refuge on Croatian territories and were seen as Croats only of orthodox fate.
Check some works if you can on so called Military border that was organized on Croatian territories bordering Ottoman empire by empress Maria Theresia of Austria
Also in Mohacs battle the troops that came too late to save Hungarians were Croats under Petar Zrinjski and Transylvanians under Ivan Zapolya. If they would have been there in time with total of abt 10-15.000 troops who can say how the battle could have ended?
On the other hand it seems that on the Turkish side the largest part of the army consisted of Bosnian Muslims.
I tried to check some sources on the internet but they are all quite inconsistent when it comes to numbers of participants as well as casualties on both sides.
Somehow, I must say, I feel a lack of knowledge among participants commenting on this forum whenever it comes on confrontation between Europeans and Ottomans.
I'll try to make a task for myself to check some more sources that are mostly not to be found on internet and are mostly in Croatian or Serbian when I get some more time.
I mean, here I'm talking about almost 400 years of permanent state of war between super powers of that time. A state of war that has been fought by maybe less significant peoples like Croats, Serbs, Bosnians etc, but if it were not them, who knows whether today we would not be writing here in Arabic or Turkish instead of English. And all the credit goes to more "important" peoples.

I sincerely apologize for maybe being somewhat nationalistic but the history and wars of West Balkans is so compelling that all other just seems, I don't know how to say......., boring or something like that. No offense please.

About reinforcements, I think that knez Krsto Frankopan was the one who unfortunately couldn't come on time, and that was becouse the king didn't lisened the Croats who told him not to do battle without Croatian reinforcements. Btw, at Mohac fought the bishop of Zagreb Šimun Erdody, Croatian prior of Hospitalers Đuro Paližna with his Hospitaler knights and Slavonians, knez Ivan Frankopan and many other Croatian nobleman with their knights and foot levies.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hungarian cavalry at Mohacs
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: