Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Hank Reinhardt Collection (The Dordogne Sword) Generation 2 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Hank Reinhardt Collection (The Dordogne Sword) Generation 2         Reply with quote

Generation 2 is in with Last Legend (ProSword) to make the Hank Reinhardt Collection.

Well we have the pictures and the copy written by Hank Reinhardt himself. The first Sword is the Dordogone sword.

Hank has approved the first proto-types and the first production runs are being made.

The first 100 of each sword we do Hank will personally sign.

All the information on this collection can be found at this link below.

http://www.imperialweapons.com/swords/Reinhardt_collection.html

There will be 3 more swords to follow.

Clyde Hollis
Imperial Weapons
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those interested, a similar Type XVa (or perhaps the sword) from the Dordogne/Castillon find (modern grip):

Attachment: 12.35 KB
vmxva7h.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the one from the link Mr. Hollis provided...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The reason our handle looks a little bigger is that Hank requested the handle be wrapped in suede instead of leather.

He said he does use leather gauntlets when handling a sword but not everyone does and the leather will be slippery so he opted for us to do suede.

We have done the sword according to the drawing and to his specifications.

I am just elated that he is having us to some of the swords he wants done.

Elated and honored.

Clyde Hollis
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And we have been busy doing some changes.

I have taken into account the feedback on the Dordogne sword examined by Ewart.

Here is a picture of the improved or revised version.

OK 2 pictures if you will.

Chad I really would love to hear what you have to say.

Clyde Hollis
Imperial Weapons

Attachment: 104.75 KB
IP-701b.jpg

Attachment: 35.2 KB
IP-701c.jpg

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hank Reinhardt Collection (The Dordogne Sword) Generatio         Reply with quote

Clyde Hollis wrote:

Like, on the blade? With a pen? Eek!

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Clyde Hollis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hank Reinhardt Collection (The Dordogne Sword) Generatio         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Clyde Hollis wrote:

Like, on the blade? With a pen? Eek!

That would not stay so we have opted to do a certificate card like we do for the Bowie Knives and Hank has individually signed each card.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooh, this is so close to what it could be! And I'm extremely impressed that y'all not only ask for feedback, but also act on it. I still think the weapon is let down by the grip. It's a shame, because y'all have put so much time and thought into the rest of the sword. Use the core shape you have now, but make a smooth transition between pommel and grip as opposed to the current, rather significant, step up to the grip. Then get rid of those metal ferrules or spacers and stop the steel polish at a satin finish and I think this would be an extremely attractive sword. The composite image below gives some idea of what I'd love to see as a grip--simple wood core, cord wrap and thin leather. The cord and risers would resolve Hank's concerns about stability in the hand, and it's certainly historically appropriate.

I don't suppose you'd want to let me borrow one of these for a few weeks and have a go at the grip and finish.... Big Grin

Attachment: 100.24 KB
grip.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm 100% with Sean. You are really in the right direction with the main features of this sword, but the grip really throws the entire piece off. It's the grip that makes this look like a modern sword, not a historical one. Honestly, if you get rid of the metal bands on the grip (which you should do for all of you swords, in my opinion) and just taper the grip enough so it "flows" into the pommel, it would make all the difference in the world, as Sean's photo clearly shows. As the sword stands now, the grip looks like it doesn't belong to the sword.

Aside from that, though, this has some real promise when compared to other swords in it's price range.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Thomas Watt

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, I would like to also come down on the side of "reader suggestion for..."

I see suede leather and think of hush puppy shoes.
Not only does it show wear poorly, it's just difficult to take it seriously.
If the concern (and I think I am hearing that you are striving for a soft grip) is for comfort, which is an attribute that I also appreciate, then perhaps deer or elk hide instead of suede? Just a thought.

Have 11 swords, 2 dirks, half a dozen tomahawks and 2 Jeeps - seem to be a magnet for more of all.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is another very late suggestion. I think the look would be much improved if you gave the sword a more classic Type 11 guard as shown below. Instead of a gradual thickening to a teardrop end, keep the guard thin up to a sharply delineated hemisphere.

Attachment: 22.19 KB
type 11 guard.jpg
Type 11 Guard
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with the comments about the grip. Honestly, the grip in suede distorts the proportions of the rest of the weapon. Even at that price point, the grip would keep me looking for other options. I like the cord wrapped idea with risers to take care of any grip concerns. If you could make adjustments there, I think you would definately have something of interest.

Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last year I had the chance to talk with Mr. Reinhardt and he told me about these new blade’s coming out and I gotta say that I was pretty jazzed about this.
Hank Reinhardt is what a lot of us are, passionate about WMA and swords and he has put a lot of his life in to both and these swords show it.
Yes I will say that the suede grip threw me a bit but I have tried this on my Del Tin moonbrand and it has made her a bit easier to wield for me and maybe this will work for this sword.
All in all I like the look of this sword and when I get out of this BLOODY brace I hope to get one.
Dunc

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 22 Mar, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clyde,
The new change looks like a big improvement. It goes a long way toward making the sword look more like its inspiration.

The guard still has a 4-sided cross-section, which is probably easier to finish. The originals, though, all appear to have a rounded cross-sections. See below. The square or rectangular cross-section just looks clunky.

It's easy for me, who doesn't have to find ways to A) make changes to a product line or B) pay for them, to suggest these things, though. Happy If your goal is to get it as close as possible, there is a ways to go. If your goal is to make a good sword for a good price, then I'd say you're darn close to the mark.

I agree with everyone else about the suede grip. The rest of the sword could be fantastic, but the suede is a turn-off.

Attachment: 15.47 KB
Dordogne 3.jpg

Attachment: 17.7 KB
Dordogne 4.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I was browsing on the Kult of Athena site and got tempted and ordered the Dordogne sword and the Crusader dagger.

I can live with some modern features at the price and I sort of like the " railroad engineered " aspects of the Generation 2 product line.

Also I admire Clyde for taking criticism well on this Topic thread and others he started for other swords like the river Witham sword, and using the comments to improve his product: Some would leave in a " Huff " instead of using the information. Cool

Also, remembering those discussions I wanted to eventually buy something from Clyde. Big Grin

Oh, after reading a couple of reviews on this site by Bill Grandy (two other Generation 2 swords in the review section ) I know somewhat what to expect generally and I might do a little home project antiquing if the finish is too highly polished for my taste: Maybe just a more satin finish with just a touch of patina using the lemon juice or yellow mustard treatment.

Maybe no pics because of my STILL not getting a digital camera but I will give a mini review when I get these.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, I ordered this Sunday the 22 of July and just got the e-mail from Kult of Athena that it was shipped today the 24 th and with the tracking number. Cool When they say it's in stock this is what they promise and they deliver on their promises. Big Grin

Should have it late this week or early next week. ( usually 5 to 8 days on average ).

Good service should be noted and praised as it's not universal with all suppliers.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, everytime I have ever been in Kult of Athena, the showroom is in pristine condition and very organized. Viking swords are with Viking swords, Roman Swords are with Roman Swords, Rapiers are with Rapiers. The only exception to this is that "Albion" has their own premium spot in the store and "Arms & Armor" has their own premium spot in the store!
Albions are with Albions and Arms & Armor are with Arms & Armor, in other words you would not find an Albion Viking Sword with the Viking Swords, it would be with the other Albions. Just as an Arms & Armor Rapier would not be with the Rapiers, it would be with the Arms & Armor swords.
I can attest to the fact that what Ryan says is "In Stock" is indeed "In Stock". I go to the store at least once a month, since it's less than a half hour from home. Yes I am one lucky schmuck! Laughing Out Loud
It's a big showroom too, the entire length has southern exposure windows and the front of the store faces east so there's terrific natural light coming in from outside.
Plus I can't think of a nicer guy that I've met than Ryan (Owner)Exclamation Who himself is a collector as well, he has the Albion Vassal that I ordered and I have the Vassal that he ordered. LOL, I got my Berserkr there too, birthday present from my mother last summer, she sent me the money for it. Everytime I went into the store I just had to wield that sword!
Kult of Athena has a nice selection of Generation 2 Swords and they are certainly very nice swords for the money!
I have their Pompeii Gladius which I bought from a different vendor before I discovered Kult of Athena in this forum a couple of years ago. When I saw the (847) area code, I went TILT and came Unglued! Laughing Out Loud
I really like my Generation 2 Pompeii Gladius and wow does it cut!

Ever So Grateful For My Luck of Location!

Bob

Just wish I had a whole lot more money!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I felt that the hands-on review that Jean put together would get more attention in the Historical Arms Talk forum than within this announcement so I have moved it.

Please have a look at His Review Here

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Hank Reinhardt Collection (The Dordogne Sword) Generation 2
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic