Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buckler & longsword used together? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Buckler & longsword used together?         Reply with quote

In another Topic dealing with small bucklers the way the buckler was worn on the person over the handle of the sword led me to wonder how well this would work with a sword with a long handle and this led me to wonder if the longsword or bastard sword was commonly used in combination with a buckler or is sword and buckler only practical with a one hander ?

I have seen pics of historical illustrations or of renactors were a buckler was worn and the sword seemed to be a longsword and not the more usual 1:33 buckler and one hander combination ?

Oh, and finally, can a reasonably light longsword be used effectively with the buckler from a technical swordsmanship perspective ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes,

Please see Paulus Kal's fechtbuch (among others).
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Duerer's artwork also shows a number of instances where long-handled swords are being wielded with shields.
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, it is certainly doable. It is depicted in historical artwork and is still in practice by certain WMA groups today.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only other thing I can add is that I don't think that long sword and buckler would have been commonly used, but as others have stated, it certainly was used.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
The only other thing I can add is that I don't think that long sword and buckler would have been commonly used, but as others have stated, it certainly was used.

The historical record seems to show bucklers on the sword belt with a longsword, from what I read in the above posts, and period iconography. ( Not that I can give specific examples off the top of my head ).

Now with the longsword one can use the buckler or NOT ! In what situations would you think using the buckler & Longsword would be better and when would using just the longsword be best ?

Another factor might be to use the buckler with an also carried large dagger/coustille/rondel if forced to fight at very close quarter ?

Would a buckler be more useful for large melees or one on one duels ? ( Again when used with the longsword ).

Oh, at my longsword classes I was watching some sparring between one person using sword & buckler and the other using the sword alone and he was at no discernible disadvantage as far as I could tell: Being the instructor of 1:33 might be a big reason for this, but the person(s) sparring with him didn't seem to be complete beginners.

I don't have a particular " axe to grind " in the sense that I don't have a specific theory that I'm pushing: I' m just curious about the various weapons combinations and their respective advantages or disadvantages, and peoples opinions need not be ironclad certainties to be interesting. Conflicting opinions are also valuable to me. Wink Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Buckler & longsword used together?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic