Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The battle of Grunwald-AD 2007 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: The battle of Grunwald-AD 2007         Reply with quote

Hi!

I've just came back after a week in medieval camp and the great staging of the battle of Grunwald-the greatest medieval reenactment festival in Poland(over 1000soldiers,circa 80 000 spectators) Basicaly the battle was staged-however our unit (Choragiew Goncza-the private unit of the king) had quite serious fight with our eastern guests armed mostly with polearms-of course both sides agreed to be more hardcore before charge(result-one man down unconscious after being hit with bill or halberd Confused )

Just a couple of pictures.
Enjoy!

1.me and my friend

2.the battle

3.our choragiew

4.Teutonic Knight

5.artillery

6.archers

7.me(with poleaxe) supervising cooking lunch(it's good to be a captain Razz )

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.

Last edited by Michal Plezia on Mon 16 Jul, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal;

Great pics generally but I have one question based on the first: The bascinet's visor fully to the rear ? Was that common or the way they normally work ? Mine won't go more than 60° up and still in front. I haven't tried to force it back like in the pic but it would seem like a good solution to the problem that the visor has a tendency to fall into the closed position as there is no catch to hold the visor in the open position securely.

The bumpiness on horseback would tend to make the visor fall unless it is tight when in the up position or has a locking catch ! But if pushed completely back as in your pic it should stay open until pulled down.

This might vary depending on the fit of the visor but again I wonder if this option was used or common in period based on existing originals ?

Oh, and the event seems like it must have been impressive. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I think that in my friend's basinet visor normally stays in front side while open.As far as I know it was slightly damaged during fight and didn't stay in usual position Wink Nothing that can't be fixed with hammer Big Grin
www.elchon.com

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics, it really looks like a lot of fun!
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Well I think that in my friend's basinet visor normally stays in front side while open.As far as I know it was slightly damaged during fight and didn't stay in usual position Wink Nothing that can't be fixed with hammer Big Grin

Damaged ! Still, the picture did make me think about how practical or not having the visor capable of going that far back on purpose ? And surprised because I hadn't seen a visor in that position before. Wink Laughing Out Loud

I tend to believe that this is accidental or incidental to this specific bascinet but still an interesting question that could be worth at least asking ! ( Just curiousity about the remote possibility that historical helms may have been made to do this. Cool )

Mike West

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Interesting         Reply with quote

I wish I was there to watch. What type of effect did the artillery of that time have on the victims? Was it percussive, explosive, of fragmentary?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting         Reply with quote

Mike West wrote:
I wish I was there to watch. What type of effect did the artillery of that time have on the victims? Was it percussive, explosive, of fragmentary?

I guess a solid ball plowing through several ranks of men counts as "percussive"...

BTW, is that artillerist in a white jack/doublet/jupon whatever a woman, or a man wearing a Churburg-style breastplate under a jupon?
Mike West

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks.         Reply with quote

Thanks. That's what I meant.
Mick Czerep

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello gentlemen
Having been to the event a good number of times I would discourage too detailed questions about what you see in the pics in general. I'd say only about 15% of people attending really know what they are wearing in terns of costume and armour, unfortunbately. Still, every year there is some progress. More participants use historically correct (at least in shape and weight) equipment and have proper costume, there are more mounted knights (jousters included) and so forth and so on. Nonetheless you can find some very strange designs and, indeed, very strange people.

All the participants are divided into 'banners' (names and ensigns coming from period sources) for the Teutonic and Polish-Lithuanian sides. Each banner has its own camp and captain.Sucha group can muster betweenb 40 and 100 militants who would actually enter the battlefield.

Most of the 'knights' fight on foot and a small group (20? 30?) fights mounted. Thare are archers, using safe arrows, and artillery, using blanks. All the movements are pre-set and the scenario iss rehearsed a few times, although individual combat is free-ish. There are 'iustitiari' who stop fights if they get too heated. As Michal wrote, though, sometimes things are a little rougher. No serious accidents so far...

For those, who like it rough and real there is a bohourt (name traditionally used here, should be a melee really, I think). Two teams engage in a free, open ended fight. Usually it's The East (Russians, Belarussians, Ukrainians) vs Poles. These usually are about 50 a side. No thrusting, no groundfighting are the basic rules. Blunt steel is employed. You can fight as long as you can stand on your legs.

Apart from those military pastimes there is a general camplife to be enjoyed - meeting friends, eating, singing, dancing, and, not the least, drinking.
Cheers
Mick
P.S. The artillerist is most probably a woman. There were quite a few globulars there, but this looks suspiciously like a pair of...er..mammaries Big Grin

Sordes ocurrit
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Damaged ! Still, the picture did make me think about how practical or not having the visor capable of going that far back on purpose ? And surprised because I hadn't seen a visor in that position before. Wink Laughing Out Loud

I tend to believe that this is accidental or incidental to this specific bascinet but still an interesting question that could be worth at least asking ! ( Just curiousity about the remote possibility that historical helms may have been made to do this. Cool )

My friend says it is quite uncomfortable.It disturbes balance of the helmet.

MICK you are right.Some of the people are equipeed strangely.Also my equipement is too late for the battle but this years rules still accepted armour from the period 1350-1470.Next year I shoud come as the artillery man with kettle hat-there will be no place for my milanese armour Worried

www.elchon.com

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jul, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Michal Plezia"]
Quote:

My friend says it is quite uncomfortable.It disturbes balance of the helmet.

Ah, well that settles that: Uncomfortable and unbalanced is not what one would normally design deliberately ! Eek!
Thanks for the answer. Cool

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The battle of Grunwald-AD 2007
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic